Hondo's Bar

Microsoft's RPG Conference in Japan (Star Ocean 4 announced)

bishopcruz

Yesterday there was a pretty decent little conference in Japan about some upcoming JRPGs for the 360. It looks like MS has been doing at least a passable job in getting some decently high profile series out on the 360, with at least timed exclusivity.

Here's what was discussed:

Tales of Vesperia

- 08/07 japanese release date

- TOV 360 premium bundle pack with faceplate and something else (?) for 37,800yen

- first issue of Tales of... monthly released same day

- demo coming to XBL this month

Trailer:

Combat:

Fable 2/Mass Effect

- japanese versions to be released this winter/within a year

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope

- to be released in 2009

- not known whether is exclusive, trailer says "for Xbox360"

Infinite Undiscovery

- 09/11 japanese release date

- 09/02 US release date.

Last Remnant

- 360 time exclusive

- worldwide release this winter

- trailer today on marketplace

What's crazy is that most of these are coming out this year. Last Remnant is winter, IU is Spetember, Tales of Vesperia is in August. Star Ocean is next year, but when you add these on top of Fable 2, Fallout 3, and everything else, it's looking like 360 has another crazy year ahead of it. Especially RPG wise.

What Hondonians don't like RPGs all of the sudden? Shit.

some more Vesperia shots.

1208383257.jpg

945075_20080415_screen009.jpg

Namco looks to be the king of Cel shading this time around. I mean Eternal Sonata and Idolmaster looked good but HOLY SHIT!!!!

Edit: If you can look at these at full res, my god they look good.

again: fable 2? really? oh, right, you played two worlds, nevermind

im excited for MS' prospects in japan (theyre really pulling out all the stops this gen) but personally, the tales series never latched onto me and the last Star Ocean didnt either. Again, getting into Persona 3 lately, i guess im actually starting to notice Atlus more these days, time-sucking-whores that they are. but again, good to see all this, and as we've echoed: who'dve thought MS would have the JRPG selection this time around?!

also, id like to echo the namco sentiment, 'cause that is indeed some beautiful shading. oh, and count me just as surprised for the release dates, though i really do need to see more on both IU and Last Remnant to be excited, cause right now, the later looks still like FF lite.

again: fable 2? really? oh, right, you played two worlds, nevermind

What?! I only bought an Xbox for the first Fable and never looked back. I download every Fable2 development Diary and cuss at the tv like an angry blackperson when they show the team working on halloween costumes and enjoying friendly soccer games or otherwise doing anything other than making this awesome fucking game I very badly want. And if you're judging my tastes by Two worlds, the game broke my heart it was so bad. I'ma play it again and just constantly tell myself it's a PS1 port and I think it'll work out fine.

Shit, mebbe i shouldve checked out Fable, then. Im likely dismissing 2 between the developer still promising the moon & stars while fanboys compare it oddly to Final Fantasy, and to be fair, i should look at the game before listening to any of that.

Indeed. Molyneaux(sp) certainly didn't deliver all that he promised in Fable, and sadly Fable 2's marketting phrase is 'As promised in Fable', but I didn't get any of the preemptive press and therefore wasn't disappointed. Forget the hype and play the game. It's patched on the 360 and is pure class.

Shit, mebbe i shouldve checked out Fable, then. Im likely dismissing 2 between the developer still promising the moon & stars while fanboys compare it oddly to Final Fantasy, and to be fair, i should look at the game before listening to any of that.

Fable is a really good game that was hurt in many regards because of its hype. Molyneux promised the world and a blojob, and pretty much delivered on the blowjob. People still wanted the world, because it was promised to them. Never did beat the game, but saw both Drifter and Gunsmith do so, and it is a damn fine Action RPG with a lot of choice and a fun fairy tale world.

Never been a huge Tales fan either, but Versperia is looking cool. Infinite Undiscovery looks pretty sweet, and LR is the big question mark for me. I just really do wonder how in the hell neither Nintendo nor Sony have been able to put up much of anything on the RPG front this gen. FFXIII will be huge, and maybe then PS3 will get the lovin, but Wii seems like a perfect fit for low-budget RPGs.

Never been a huge Tales fan either, but Versperia is looking cool. Infinite Undiscovery looks pretty sweet, and LR is the big question mark for me. I just really do wonder how in the hell neither Nintendo nor Sony have been able to put up much of anything on the RPG front this gen. FFXIII will be huge, and maybe then PS3 will get the lovin, but Wii seems like a perfect fit for low-budget RPGs.

I still know way too little about IU to get hyped, hopefully reviews will change that.

Sony's clearly just relying on Atlus & such to fill the void, and betting the farm on FF XIII (if you're gonna put all your eggs in one basket, that's the one id go for). Nintendo, it hasnt been their strategy in years to get a lot of RPGs on board, console-wise, for whatever reason. I expect another Dragon Quest spinoff (or proper title) and a handful of Quest64s, that's about it, personally.

What?! I only bought an Xbox for the first Fable and never looked back. I download every Fable2 development Diary and cuss at the tv like an angry blackperson when they show the team working on halloween costumes and enjoying friendly soccer games or otherwise doing anything other than making this awesome fucking game I very badly want. And if you're judging my tastes by Two worlds, the game broke my heart it was so bad. I'ma play it again and just constantly tell myself it's a PS1 port and I think it'll work out fine.

If I'd've had the money at the time I'd have done the same damn thing (years later, I still would've). Fable was an awesome game, and I'm looking forward to the next one. Had you played the Fable: Lost Chapters game they had for the PC?

Archived