Hondo's Bar

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

The NZA

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah, but in the 11th hour, they came around, if even a little bit.

Hulk unlocks Rulk (red hulk), Thor unlocks current series thor costume. finally, some attention to detail! its a shame the rest of the cast didnt get it, though.

ok, while im still half-bitching, pulled this from wiki to establish what i think is mainly wrong with the series:

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD**

System-exclusive characters

* Blade (1)

* Cyclops (1)

* Iron Fist (3)

* Juggernaut (4)

* Psylocke (1)

* Sentry (2)

* She-Hulk (2)

Bosses

* A-Bomb (3)

* Absorbing Man (1)

* Equinox (3)

* Grey Gargoyle (1)

* Grim Reaper (3)

* Havok (3)

* Justice (3)

* Lizard (1)

* Magneto (1)

* Man-Ape (1)

* Quicksilver (1)

* Scorpion (1)

* Titanium Man (3)

* Whirlwind (3)

* Winter Soldier (1)

* Wizard (3)

* Molten Man (3)

* War Machine (3)

* Cloak (1)

* Colossus (3)

* Firestar (3)

* Patriot (3)

* Prodigy (3)

1 = Exclusive to PS2, PSP and Wii

2 = Exclusive to Nintendo DS

3 = Exclusive to PS3 and Xbox 360

4 - Juggernaut was made available as a PS3/Xbox 360 pre-order bonus from GameStop

...that's right, we not only missed out on a number of playable characters (i wouldve liked to have seen the Sentry), we missed out a lot of bosses, too. And yeah, they'll likely put some in as DLC (work's already done anyway, eh?) but not all - MUA1 did this shit and left out Cable and several others as playables.

I really cant stand this shit. There's no point to it; is anyone buying it on consoles as well as handheld? you're just splitting the product this way.

he looks cheap, but you shouldve seen the DLC for MUA1. it was barely a re-skinning, this time at least Rulk had different hair.

arch - Cyk was a really weird pic to take out, he's a fan-favorite and has been in every title since X-Men Legends 1. as DLC last time, he was this broken, boss-killing powerhouse. anyway, yeah, i hate that shit.

They carried different stats to be levelled up, yeah. Even graphically, MUA2 is awful. Crim was impressed by the CW cutscenes(and I may have been fapping), but I point everyone to the Loki/Asgard cinematic from MUA 1 for one of the most visceral & realistic renderings of a comic character on-screen this gen(last gen it was the opening scene of Xmen Legends 2 on xbox).

Is

wakanda

near the end? I gave up partway into that level because I was fucked if I was playing this shit without more Pro-reg arsehole-ry. I only managed to unlock Jean Grey, was pleasantly suprised by the implementation of the Marvel Girl alternate instead of the bog-standard Dark Phoenix. I guess that's what they were going for: Shit that hasn't been tried. Case in point, Darkdevil should stay in the 80's.

yeah, they were minor stat changes. it was more about aesthetics.

wakanda feels like act 4 of 5, i wanna say? and yeah, agreed, playing with these uncle tom, pro-reg sellouts does feel dirty, im unlocking costumes and then benching them to keep the stink away, good call sir.

I only managed to unlock Jean Grey, was pleasantly suprised by the implementation of the Marvel Girl alternate instead of the bog-standard Dark Phoenix. I guess that's what they were going for: Shit that hasn't been tried. Case in point, Darkdevil should stay in the 80's.

ah, im hoping to get her soon as well. decent choice, but i disagree about the awful 80s costumes: h onestly, its no real bother apparently, so why not let Cap have his WW II as well as US Agent, Nomad, Earth X costume etc? its such a waste, considering you're using the same character model so i dont imagine its that hard. sure, you and I might not care if Thor has a Thunderstrike alternate, but why the fuck not? I got such a kick out of Spidey 2099 and Reilly costume in the old Spidey game. MUA having a "West Coast Avengers" lineup blew my mind.

the Loki/Asgard cinematic from MUA 1 for one of the most visceral & realistic renderings of a comic character on-screen this gen(last gen it was the opening scene of Xmen Legends 2 on gamecube).

fixed for accuracy. ^_^

It looked better on GC? I only ask because(and this is an observation, not fanboyism) the very same cinematic looked like Arse on the PS2.

Regarding costumes, I agree that more is definitely better, I forget the unlock system in MUA but I know a lot of characters I didn't use much didn't get anywhere near as many variants, but 4-a-piece was a damned good number. MUA2 with it's 1 variant each rule was shit, and I'm just saying there were choices I'd have preferred(i know it's been done but I'm so gay for the yellow DD cossie), and Storm's barely rates as a variant. Where the fuck was Bloodstorm? Also, the unlocking system(kill 50 opponents) was pretty fucking arbritrary.

It looked better on GC? I only ask because(and this is an observation, not fanboyism) the very same cinematic looked like Arse on the PS2.

PS2 always looked ass compared to them both. i cant honestly tell you, i had a GC and shit was lovely, xbox mightve been sharper though. they were both kinda beasts for their time.

Regarding costumes, I agree that more is definitely better, I forget the unlock system in MUA but I know a lot of characters I didn't use much didn't get anywhere near as many variants, but 4-a-piece was a damned good number. MUA2 with it's 1 variant each rule was shit, and I'm just saying there were choices I'd have preferred(i know it's been done but I'm so gay for the yellow DD cossie), and Storm's barely rates as a variant. Where the fuck was Bloodstorm? Also, the unlocking system(kill 50 opponents) was pretty fucking arbritrary.

50 sucks but wasnt the # higher in part 1? haha, im glad i know who kept wanting the yellow DD. and wait, who's Bloodstorm?

Vampire Storm either from the 80's, or the Mutant X reality where Ororo remained bit, and had Kitty Pryde as a familiar. I'd almost want to play as Beast or Angel simply for those variants now, come to that

Like I said, I don't recall how you went about unlocking costumes in MUA. If it's simply grinding with characters I may just have a reason to go back & play that now.

yeah. shit, i opened all the costumes now (at least Iron Man was good), and...fuck. I thought i was looking at a poorly-done Taskmaster with Deadpool's variant, but its worse, its the fucking Ultimate getup. i dont think whoever picked these reads comics.

i like how the game treats you like a bitch for playing on the pro-reg side. its bad enough to have all the cool characters opposing you, the game takes its own shots too. its almost worth it for the Multiple Man fight though, that was awesome.

in my ongoing psuedo-review, id like to point out one gamplay thing they got right: you cant fall of ledges and shit now. that happened at random times from XML 1 - MUA1, and fuck did i hate it, glad to see it gone. sure, there's no platforming now, and its just simple puzzles and button mashing left, but that's all it was to begin with, anyway.

the game's single greatest insult, i think, is when you unlock Cyber-Fury. im not kidding, i think this is up there with Merc without a Mouth from the flick, its that fucking bad, for me. he's one of my favorites on this roster, and i actively refuse to use him now.

The Ultimate Deadpool arc, while a letdown because I liked regular deadpool, didn't totally suck. And it's really the only... VASTLY different deadpool outfit I know of.

Though honestly, they had his X-men outfit and 26.jpg to choose from...

Oh, and you can fall down. I fell down a couple times.

i wouldve preferred that. i hated the USM deadpool arc, but either way, its not a good costume! agent x, few other variants wouldve been fun.

wait, you fell to your death? were you trying? cause im far along on 2nd playthrough and maybe im just lucky so far.

ah.

how did you get the "every trick in the book" trophy? I cant seem to hit 5 guys with one object, no matter how many cars i throw. oh, and tossing 20 grenades back doesnt seem to be happening either.

Twenty Grenades back was an endeavor of patience involving the simulation room "heavy metal," activating one robot, beating it close to death, and then waiting for a grenade to toss back. Seeing as how heavy metal is nothing BUT grenade-spewing robots you can do whatever you want with for a couple minutes, it's an ideal place to go mess with that shit.

As far as knocking five back with one object, be the hulk/thing/that other jerk what's too big for his britches, lift a car/helicopter/beach volleyball and toss it into a group of foes/mind controlled friendlies. You'll get it eventually. If there's enough jerks around that you'd expect to use a fusion, find something big, and throw it.

• 1 month later...

for those interested: expansion details.

The Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 DLC package announced last week has been dated and priced for the Xbox 360 and PS3. It arrives Nov. 5 on both consoles in North America, and on Nov. 12 for the PS3 in Europe. The package will deliver five new characters - one of whom is Black Panther, it was just announced. He joins Cable, Psylocke, Carnage and a player to be named later.

You also get more boosts and simulator missions. In Xbox Live currency, it'll set you back 800 points. On PSN, it's $9.99. Additionally, Juggernaut will be available separately on the same dates (for both services). He's 160 points and $1.99, respectively.

ok, again, recycling characters (Panther, Psylocke etc) doesnt do much for me. Ive not yet played as Cable, and the idea of Carnage - if he's done cool and not just another spidey-skin - ill be honest, this might warrant some more playtime later on.

/agreed, but it was a weird choice to drop him, even in MUA1. sure, he got added back with DLC (and maxing his Optic Blast made him a boss-killer), its just...you know how awesome Capcom/SNK games try to have a definitive version where they dump like 40+ characters, everyone theyve had before? i dont get why they dont do that here, every game. i mean, besides the obvious DLC option.

I hope Juggs is better than he was in XML 2, was far too slow without the power to justify it.

• 1 month later...

Oh shit. Was browsing some other forums and stumbled across what may be some bad news for some.

Apparently there was some issue involving the Marvel/Disney merger and Marvel's previous deal with Activision. As of Midnight, December 31st 2009 all DLC for MAU2 has been permanently removed from Live Marketplace and PSN.

If you didn't get it...you can't.

Really sucks. I barely got mine in time.

Archived