Hondo's Bar

Guitar Hero: World Tour

The NZA

• 2 weeks later...

So if I recall correctly, GHWT has a no-fail band mode for beginners and n00bs, right? Does RB2 have that as well? Marketting-wise down Under, RB1's getting no love from anyone(which warms me), and EB is plugging the shit out of GHWT, but with the bundle costing $329 as opposed to RB's $280 or so, EA/Harmonix' only hope is to drop theirs right before Xmas and appeal to the clueless parents out there buying for the kids. ANd the poorly-educated lower classes who remain completely oblivious to the year-long struggle with their lack of internets and lice.

It's gotten so I don't even care you guys get it two weeks before me.

What's the word on either game for online band touring? I know The Hot Costners have no room on the roster for a semi-okay drummer, but we're(The Pepper Republic) almost hurting for a second guitarist/bassist in the face of Crim's defiant lack of coordination.

*paws at monitor with the coordination that crim doesn't have*

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I had initially been interested in getting this GHWT drums set to replace my broken RB1 drums (technically, they still work, but the yellow pad is very insensitive and rarely registers unless I hit a specific quarter-size spot in the middle of the pad), but with several reports of drums kits not working out of the box, I'll be getting the RB2 drums, of which I have heard no such reports. I'll probably rent the GHWT disc, but I don't think it'll be worth buy, despite Hot For Teacher and the Doors.

Just a quick post as the seemingly official or at least inaugeral GHWT diplomat(aka the guinea pig):

Drumkit works fine out the box. There's metal, it's by no means light but then these things aren't meant to be portable. It's sturdy, everything's rubberised which means while I learned a valuable leson in destroying my RB kit and now am more careful, the big rubber pads & cymbals look like they can take some punishment. The sticks are roughly the thickness of beginner's knitting needles and are slightly cumbersome to get used to after the thin RB ones, but I guess this is all part of the longevity for drumkits plan so I'm happy to play along. Only complaint I have with the drums thusfar is that the cymbals rattle if you hit them anywhere but deadcentre, and that can be a little offputting when I'm still getting used to this multi-level play format. Other than that the pedal doesn't make enough noise on the tracks so it's harder to time by ear(just a begginer's issue).

More to come when Meg & Arnah get home tonight to try out the guitar & mic. Tracklist is an okay bit've fun, On the Road Again isn't so much hard as annoying so I guess Activision wanted to share the hate for Willie Nelson, but this game truly became king in my eyes right then when I finished No Sleep Til Brooklyn. SOng is fucking fun. Jax-you gotta hook yourself up man, haven't seen the RB2 kits but I can just about promise these ones are worth the gamble.

SPoke too soon. First it went hypersensetive(yellow pad triggered the red) and now the red pad has died completely. Bah.

My RB2 drums' yellow pad stopped responding after about 10 days. They're shipping a replacement in accordance with the warranty, but if it happens again and I heard more of this about the GHWT drums, buying the $300 Ion drums might start to look like the cheapest investment long term.

PS still deciding between just renting or buying the GHWT disc.

From what I found online regarding a warranty-voiding fix, it's a simple wiring fault. If they can iron out that kink, I couldn't advocate this kit high enough. It's by no means portable, but it's durable and a lot more fun to play on than the RB kit(can't account for adding cymbals though).

Okay so kit #2- Getting it was a bit more of a struggle due to availability(the store I spoke to held a PS3 one for me), but having found one and quietly molesting the ear of the EB clerk upon his advice that they couldn't hold a kit for me, I managed to get over and pick it up. It's a good sign thusfar in that, everything is wrapped up whereas on my first kit the cymbals & pedal were just sitting in the box unwrapped(guessing I got the store-fuckaround kit since I was the first one in and all), played for a couple hours last night and a few this morning and no issues yet. All in all, I gotta say while I prefer the GH drumkit(when it works), I prefer RB as a game. It's tidier, there's more DLC, it's easier to read & play on all accounts(the sensor neck on the guitar is kinda hit & miss), despite EA & Harmonix fucking the shit out've Aus by not releasing for a year, Activisions two subsequent efforts(GH 3 & 4) don't quite hold up to RB. Now if I could just get this kit calibrated properly for RB I'd be in heaven...

Well I've calibrated to the best of my ability(fiddled with plasma & then manual), and tried practise and whatnot just incase it was just me being a tard, but while it picks up hits, it's still just slightly off, and even when I think I've figured out the timing it sems to change. I dunno, I gotta keep working at it cause it could just be me going from O targets to =

Archived