Hondo's Bar

Sonic Unleashed

The NZA

sonic_unleashed.jpg

I gotta say, Smash Bros aside, i know Soinc's (sadly) been a punchline since Adventure 2 (i dug that one, anyone else?), but seeing this gave me hope. This could be a lotta fun, like the old ones were.

As long as it stays sidescrolling I'm down. I had Sonic Adventures on the dreamcast and just hated it. But then I hate seeing my sidescrolling heroes go 3d, same goes for Mario 64

so uh, what you hate is platforming in 3D. interesting. But Mario64, really? that game sold me a whole freakin' system. anyway, looks great so far!

As long as it stays sidescrolling I'm down. I had Sonic Adventures on the dreamcast and just hated it. But then I hate seeing my sidescrolling heroes go 3d, same goes for Mario 64

Did you see the youtube trailer? It was not sidescrolling. It wasn't pure 3-D, but I don't think any Sonic has been for the past 10 years. Anyway, looks to me like it'll be alot of effort to make the game look fast and cool, but not necessarily fun.

Did you see the youtube trailer? It was not sidescrolling. It wasn't pure 3-D, but I don't think any Sonic has been for the past 10 years. Anyway, looks to me like it'll be alot of effort to make the game look fast and cool, but not necessarily fun.

Shush, casual gamer. as long as you're controlling much of that (as opposed to on the rails/computer's doing it) it looks fun.

Hey, I may not play all your silent devil may metal gaiden shock auto tensei games, but I gamed when Mario and Sonic were both good, and I gamed when 3-D platformers were in their first and second waves, and Sonic made that transition like Whitesnake into the grunge scene, or Dustin Diamond into adult acting roles. I predict this game will be the Mario Is Missing of Sonic. That's right, I said it!

between skeet bashing Mario64, and Jax hating on Sonic Adventure (wait, when did you play a dreamcast?!), im starting to fear this game could end up awesome and some of you wouldnt even know it.

by the by, my silent devil may metal gaiden shock auto tensei games only get better with sequels.

Yeah, that's the first I've heard anyone not like Mario 64.

I think this looks like it could be doing the whole "constantly moving sonic" thing way better tha that arabian bullshit one did, where you were supposed to be moving the whole time, but would get stuck a lot and have to like, hold three buttons and tilt the controller backwards to make him walk backwards. I think the semi on rails approach is not a bad idea, with the player just dodging left to right, hitting enemies, sliding, grinding etc; it certainly suits sonic, they just need to do it right. So far this looks promising.

it's shame that there have been no sonic sequels since Sonic Adventure. Because everthing after it ceases to exist in my mind. Oh wait, almost forgot about Sonic Rush, which was awesome.

I'll believe this imaginary game is good when I fucking play it. I had hopes for the last Sonic, but the demo availed me of any such naivete when I played it.

that's because you and so many other close-minded gamers are not ready to accept the possibility of love blossoming between human princess and hedgehog. that's what kept the game back.

that, and a lack of level design.

that's because you and so many other close-minded gamers are not ready to accept the possibility of love blossoming between human princess and hedgehog. that's what kept the game back.

I think talk like that belongs in the Hentai thread.

and once again...

ThanksJapan.jpg

for indulging the hidden furry in every 12 year old.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sonic Unleashed - I am now onto world 2, and can speak more on this often-maligned game.

1) the daytime levels are much tighter than the atrocious furry-fest that was Sonic '06. Seriously, many of them play like its Sonic Adventure 3. When this is a ROM one day, someone will strip these levels out and call it just that...if you dug Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, where you're hauling ass and pressing buttons once in a while but shit's moving so fast and awesome that you're barely keeping up, this is that.

the boss fights (2 so far) are cool too, the last one was a challenging and thought-out battle with Robotnik that made you feel all special when you figured out how to move quick enough to not die.

2) the nighttime levels are...well, they're there. i think the biggest thing that hurts the title is that many people forget, old-school sonic wasnt about blazing through every level - there was a lotta platforming/puzzle-solving that slowed many of them down. that's what these are, with the occasional rubber-fist pounding of enemies. these levels wouldnt be so cumbersome, but obviously due to pacing, they seem longer and are just as frequent as the daytime ones.

its worth noting that you can soon decide whether to take on a level in day or night, but the game will often force the decision any, if even by means of needing to solve a puzzle.

3) people bitch about sonic's friends, but with skippable cutscenes, i dont think its as much an issue here. what is, however, are the plentiful towns with people that you sometimes gotta talk to to advance things, or buy items from (?) etc. there was a little of this shit in SA 1 around the subway station, there's far too much of it here. i understand were shooting for a younger crowd here, but forced RPG-like elements feel really dated and unecessary.

TL; DR: blows my mind that the fast levels are rather fun and well-constructed, but surrounded by so much stuff that you plod your way through to get to more of what you came for.

As much as I hate furry fests I dislike not being able to play as Knuckles in this stage of the game. I mean I don't need to play as the rabbit thing, or the big retarded cat with the fishing pole, or Jim Crowhog Shadow but Knuckles is okay with me. And if that means I occasionally have to play as Tails, then so be it.

Kinda felt this game might not be AS bad as people were saying but then again what has Sonic Team done actually right since the far-gone days of the Dreamcast.

well, i understand Sonic Team is a shell of what it was; Yuji Naka and most of the names that made it so amazing in the day are long gone, so that kinda explains that.

funny, most people hate playing as anyone non-sonic. Knuckles was fun in the add-on cart to the old game for being able to glide, and in Sonic Adventure 2, i think im the only person i know who actually enjoyed the hot/cold emerald finding game he'd play, made for a fun versus mode.

Knuckles was the shit, he's the namesake for my fucking email address for christ-sake. The gliding and the being able to break things with his fists always made him the cooler of the two for me. I don't like really playing as anyone else but Knuckles was indeed awesome.

further impressions: im seeing what went wrong, and it has less to do with the were-hog.

im actually enjoying his levels more now, theyre like a break from the hauling-ass ones, but the stretchy-armed platforming racks my nerves for hoping it works when youre really high up. no, what's fucking the game up a bit is the constant side & fetch-quests, which are largely optional so i cant bitch too much - but i fucking well can about this Prince of Persia-esque "you need more sun/moon medals to play the next level". ugh!

i get that you want the levels explored in both day & night, i do. and its easily done with the slow-moving werehog, except when from heights where he does not excel and i basically skip anything thats clearly on the road to dusty death. but asking for exploration from the daytime fast-as-fuck levels makes no sesne - i can try to take alternate paths if i pull it off at split-second speed, but most of the concept feels broken when you factor in that slowing down during much of the speed levles = death. there's plenty of levels in this game, forcing a revisiting to move forward - and then forcing a few more at the end to get the key to go fight the boss - its adding up.

what hurts more than this is teh world/map system, with towns and portals and various stages of unclear goals. ive just assembled the key to the 2nd chaos emerald location, and ive no fucking idea where the next temple level is - ive beaten all levels i can access. im clearly not against hitting up gameFAQs, but cant we find a happy balance between straight linear and oh-christ-where-am-i-supposed-to-be-mode? This thread's already drawn the comparison, but Mario 64 let me pick which level i wanted, but i always seemed to know what to do to unlock the next one.

thing is, last stage i was running on water in some arctic area and had to ride a freakin' whale to get to the end, and it was so awesome. if there wasnt all this unecessary padding, this game would really have done better, even with the were-hog.

and now i just got a camera to exorcise ghosts from random possessed villiagers. Team Sonic on Fatal Frame 5 confirmed.

Archived