Hondo's Bar

Pie!!!

Benz

Inspired/started from another thread...

What kinds of pie do the Hondonians like?

(Admins may merge topic if they want. Though it was a great run at derailment.)

My favorite is Oreo Cookie Pie

classicpies_01.jpg

LOL! pie huh... yo.. the most heavenly pie ive ever had the pleasure to gluttonize in was dutch apple pie home made by my mom and abuela back when i was like 8 yrs old omg i got so fat that nite... i ate up all the left over dough it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

...*sigh*....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. good holy sheeeeit but yea.. so to this day apple pie to try to replicate that nite of family baking ............ mmmmmm ol man jenkins "muscley armed paper-boy randomness post"

you have no idea what im sayin huh... exactly ;)

• 1 year later...

How did I miss this thread?

Dutch apple pie (with caramel), pecan pie with a layer of ice cream on top (instead of a scoop, think a thin layer over the top, almost like a second crust), and chess pie.

EDIT: I wish there were a Pie Hole. And that it was located in Austin.

• 1 year later...

Ray has been asking for this so I figured I'd post it.

Key lime pie:

1/2 cup key lime juice

One can sweetened condensed milk

Yolks of four large eggs

Graham cracker crust (you can make your own, but I usually just buy one)

Zest of one key lime

Beat yolks on high until light and fluffy. Add half of the lime juice and the sweetened condensed milk. Beat on low for two minutes. Add the rest of the lime juice and the zest and beat on low until mixed well. Pour into crust and bake at 350f for 12 min. Let cool.

It's super easy, especially if you can find key lime juice ( I think central market has it) so you don't have to squeeze the limes.

Ask Rachael, I really will tempt with anything, baked goods, coffee, mixed drinks. :) we really need to get that Texas meet up planned. As long as where ever we go has a grill my hubby and I can make Lebanese food. And I'll bake something. And as long as everyone who wants to drink brings a different bottle of booze I can mix up drinks too. Ask ray, I love making her try new drinks!

• 3 weeks later...

I made this one this afternoon:

Sift one cup sugar, 3 Tbsp cocoa powder, 3 Tbsp corn starch, and a dash of salt into a pot. Beat 4 egg yolks (set aside the whites). Microwave 2 cups milk for 2 min. Add milk to dry mixture and cook on low heat stirring until it begins to thicken. Take a couple of spoonfuls of the mixture and add it to the beaten eggs and stir. Mix the egg mixture into the pot on the stove (adding a little of the hot to the eggs first prevents the eggs from curdling once added to the rest). Add two Tbsp butter. Remove from heat and pour into baked pie crust (I cheated and used refrigerated dough). Beat egg whites (it works best if you have a metal bowl and egg beaters cold just out of the freezer) and add 3/4 cup sugar 1/4 a cup at a time. Add 1/4 tsp cream of tartar. Spread onto pie covering all of the chocolate mixture sealing the edges. Bake at 350 for about 20 min watching closely because once the meringue begins to brown it will burn quickly.

Archived