Hondo's Bar

Questionably Content

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wait...

The Coen Brothers are some of the finest writer/directors to ever grace the field of cinema. They're also some of the most underrated.

Underrated? The Coen Brothers? Seriously? If anything they're overrated. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great filmmakers too, but usually every time I hear someone talking about the Coen Brothers, they're one step away from putting them on donkeys and parading them around Jerusalem.

The Coen Brothers are the Boston Celtics of film-makers, when they're good everybody loves them, when they're bad they're burned in effigy. I personally think every single movie they've done has been great, not just Blood Simple, O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country For Old Men, and Fargo like everyone else does.

still havent seen O Brother Where Art Thou...and baytor, Blood Simple? not sample, yes? never saw that one. my favorites are Raising Arizona and Lebowski.

You have good taste.

Yes, Blood Simple, it has Frances McDormand in it. I'd have to say that of all the Coen movies I've seen The Man Who Wasn't There was the weakest and that was mostly just cause it was too noir-y for its own good.

Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink are movies that you need to make part of your life. Intolerable Cruelty and Hudsucker Proxy are underrated but not the best.

And, well, if you haven't seen Fargo yet at this point it's really your own fault.

Blood Simple was their first film and it's still hands-down one of their best. My favorite is Miller's Crossing because I just can't get enough of that old-fashioned film noir/gangster stuff. Plus, any movie that makes Albert Finney a badass is gold in my book.

Yeah that film had a wonderful ensemble cast. That and Barton Fink were probably John Turturro's two best performances in Coen films.

nick, i have blood simple, miller's crossing, and barton fink in my coen collection. i used to have OBWAT but i loaned it to someone and haven't seen it since. i'm kind of pissed about that one.

Find a Best Buy, they've usually got it for around $10. The only Coen Brothers movies I don't currently own are Burn After Reading (naturally), The Hudsucker Proxy, and The Man Who Wasn't There.

• 2 weeks later...