Hondo's Bar

Questionably Content

I've been nipple-deep in tween bullshit since I reviewed Quarantine. And Smallville is the only series of its ilk that I've been able to stomach past the first commercial break so I can't very well compare it to the Gilmore Girls now can I? Also, the comparison was fair. (Plus fucking everyone has been on that show in the past)

Also I own the first 5 seasons on DVD... I can only say in my own defense that I watched the first season and just started grabbing box sets without watching them first.

Says the man w/ the complete Dawson's Creek on DVD.

Says the man w/ the complete Dawson's Creek on DVD.

You shut your mouth when you're talking to me, pleb or I'll put the fucking leeches on you! I'll have you know that that show was in its twilight before I was old enough to care and I don't think they rerun it any longer. You are so uninvited to my birthday party, it'll just be me and Custer watching Wanted and talking about how much we loved Marvel Zombies.

You shut your mouth when you're talking to me, pleb or I'll put the fucking leeches on you! I'll have you know that that show was in its twilight before I was old enough to care and I don't think they rerun it any longer. You are so uninvited to my birthday party, it'll just be me and Custer watching Wanted and talking about how much we loved Marvel Zombies.

Combining quotes from FALILV w/ Wedding Crashers will not get you any slack on your tween obsession. And funny you should mention "twilight," further evidence you've got tweener TV on the mind. And you know the only thing you'll be talking about at your b-day party is who you think will win the next American Idol and which is dreamier, "Creek" Pacey or "Fringe" Pacey. Ooh, what time does the next episode of of The Hills come on so I can not Tivo it?

Hey, I like both Smallville and Gilmore Girls. Gilmore Girls was an awesome show with clever (if too clever to be natural sounding) dialogue and great non-cliche characters with a fair amount of depth. I'm not too proud to admit that I cried during Rory's graduation speech. I'm not ragging on you for liking the show. The point I'm making is, you seem to contextualize so many of your movie reviews in terms of how something is similar to Smallville. It's like its your front-of-mind frame of reference point for things film or television.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Hey, I like both Smallville and Gilmore Girls. Gilmore Girls was an awesome show with clever (if too clever to be natural sounding) dialogue and great non-cliche characters with a fair amount of depth. I'm not too proud to admit that I cried during Rory's graduation speech.

*cringes*

I'm not ragging on you for liking the show...

But you should be. :D I don't know how you stuck w/ SMALLVILLE so long. I was there for the first 3 or 4 seasons, but had to drop it form my viewing schedule.

It's what I use as a general insult. I figure, it's a popular show and it's generally known that the acting, writing, special effects, etc are all at best mediocre add that with the fact that it's a TV show and it's a fairly well-placed insult. I usually only make the comparison with films involving the younger group of actors that float between bad TV shows and a-list movies that aren't worth the celluloid they're printed on. It's an example I'm familiar with and my readers (all 3 of you) will be as well. I only really use it when it's relevant, though now I'm tempted to go watch the Soloist now and try and fit it in somewhere.

And honestly, in the case of Twilight, it was more than relevant.

But you should be. wink.gif I don't know how you stuck w/ SMALLVILLE so long. I was there for the first 3 or 4 seasons, but had to drop it form my viewing schedule.

One day about 2 or 3 years ago I was lamenting the fact that Charmed sucked balls and loved it and I really missed having a Buffy/Angel-like show on the air that wasn't horrible and a friend recommended Smallville. I was skeptical as I had only seen the 3 leads in bad things (Tom Welling in Cheaper By the Dozen, Kristen Kreuk in Eurotrip, and Michael Rosenbaum in Sorority Boys. Saturday afternoons and satellite TV are not good combinations...) but I was surprised by how decent it was for what it was so I promptly ran out and bought season 2 and it was added to my big stack of DVDs to watch eventually and remained there for a long time, well by the time I got around to watching season 2 I already had season 3 and having watched 2 I decided that that one was pretty good too so I bought season 5 when it went down in price. Then about halfway through season 3 I went "Uh-oh" but I persevered hoping it would do like Buffy and got shitty for a season and then get good. I've never seen season 6 but from what I've heard and given the ending of season 5 I didn't miss anything. I watched part of season 7 but if they're resorting to Supergirl as a plot device and 90% of the cast has pissed off, including the villain, Bo Duke, and the hot redheaded Lana from Superman 3 but at least John Glover is a fucking badass. Either way, I'm fucking sick of where the plot went after season 4 and have no interest in what happens to anybody.

Edited by Iambaytor

• 2 weeks later...

No, I picked it up but haven't had time to sit down and watch it. I hear they fucked up the subtitles on the DVD and are releasing a new one with the right ones but won't allow returns, I'll probably do a review of the current release and do a review of the correct one if it's drastically different at a later date.

• 3 weeks later...
Star Trek reviewed and hopefully Let the Right One In will be coming down the tubes soon.

"We do get the right Spock though because Leonard Nimoy reprises his role as "Spock Prime" (who I'm guessing turns into a fire truck and leads the Autobots to defeat Unicron after the credits roll.)"

My favorite line of the review!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...