Hondo's Bar

Diablo 3 baby!!!

gunsmithx

that does sound kind've shit. you gotta figure a) blizzard knows they can get away with this here, and b) i imagine there's not a huge % of people dying to play the single player, could be wrong though. as an aside, i wonder how long before games like CoD do this.

Meh. I'll just treat it like an MMO, even when playing single player. I'm sure I'll eventually thank them when I go to a friend's house out of town or switch computers.

I know it sounds awful, but who here is really offline ever? And why the hell are you offline?!? This is the far flung future for godsake.

This will ensure that you always have a fully updated game and people aren't hacking the shit out of it and breaking multiplayer.

On the flip side, what's gonna suck (and likely the only time most of us will notice) is when blizzard.net is down for maintenance and you can't play at all.

:devil: 's advocate here - and again the MMOish nature of this game kinda lends itself better - i hate shit like when capcom wants an online connection to verify your PSN copy of Final fucking Fight is legit; even XBLA DRM is oppressive but they at least manage to verify your system + drive so you can start up whatever you want offline (if either check fails though, you boot into a demo, sadly). so what this means for single-player games like that is a) dudes like newt who have shaky internet/access due to where they live etc get boned, and b) no one played Final Fight when PSN was down, because checks like that on a closed network are really dumb.

only related here because while i agree most all of us are online, i don't always like the precedent of that assumption, especially on a worldwide basis. i got a bit more comfortable with steam knowing it had a competent offline mode past the first check.

• 2 weeks later...

its not just the DRM, it sounds like it lacks a single player entirely. still...why would you go solo? you're like those guys who play Minecraft alone.

lemme know about Torchlight 2, couldnt get into part 1.

I'm a lone wolf who has no need for a pack.

Plus you'll get in the way in my quest for glory.

How did you not love Torchlight? This game has me affixed to the goddamned screen! And I can deal with other fucktards for Diablo 3. It's like a public swimming pool on a hot day, or Panch's mum.

*edit- to change to Panch's Mum. There's like 50 Rio kids on Facebook and not one of 'em look alike.

Edited by The JZA

its not just the DRM, it sounds like it lacks a single player entirely.

Nah. I think this is possibly being blown a bit out of proportion. There's still a single player campaign, there's even an offline mode, they just don't really want you to use it. You can just not allow anyone else in your online game for the exact same experience +cross game chat as well.

Here, found a recent blue post for ya.

There is offline single player, but it's something we're going to attempt to discourage as best as possible.

A lot of us, myself included, and probably a lot of you and your friends had the exact same Diablo II experience. You get the game, start playing, your friend says let's try co-op, and when you log in your characters aren't there. After a slight freakout moment and potentially some use of Webcrawler to search the World Wide Web with Netscape 6, you realized or figured out that you had to start over. That's actually an experience that can cause someone to stop playing the game. Maybe you or I let out a huge sigh, and maybe a brief mourning period after realizing the last 60 hours were completely wasted, but we pressed on. That's not the case for everyone. Maybe most people. I actually refused to start over for a while and continued on in single-player before finally jumping on Battle.net. Who knows what a lesser man would have done... ;)

So, if we can get people online and creating character on Battle.net from the get-go, there's less chance of that catastrophe. But there's still a play offline option, if you should need it.

http://www.thedailyblink.com/comics/2011-08-10-189.jpg

Edited by Thelogan

I'll be honest, I'm most likely gonna pick up that game(though I'll be surprised if it lands this year with what they've said, and the time it's taking for the beta to start.) but I'm almost more excited for torchlight 2, it has the real potential to make the leap diablo 2 did.

Also fuck Blizz for never giving us the real diablo 3....