Hondo's Bar

Ask a law student

The NZA

So, given that he's a law student and id already pestered him with questions, i thought this could be another fun/useful one - ran it by kyle and he gave this disclaimer:

I'd be down for it except I think people will ask alot of shit I don't know - subjects that are on the table include torts, crim pro, property, housing discrimination, Constitutional law, and contracts (technically).

Things that people will be interested in that aren't on the table - Traffic (that's the biggest, all of us get asked that shit constantly, most people don't realize that only a few select lawyers do traffic court and the rest of us don't know jack about it since you don't learn about that in law school), complex contracts questions (contracts has a total of 6 courses, I have taken the first of these 6).

Also there would need to be some strongly worded disclaimer, specifically that I am not a member of the bar and I am not representing myself as such. That the advice given out is completely informal, unprofessional and should not be relied upon in lew of seeking legal counsel.

guy's on here & there, so hopefully this'll work out, kinda took the initiative on it.

so, assuming crim pro includes criminal law - and if it doesnt, lemme know, sorry to violate the rules so early on - ive wanted to know: if i'm not being charged with anything, how is it cops can take me anywhere? isnt that voluntary on my part? it seems like some people wait until their lawyer asks if there's a charge and when there's a no, they're free to go. What's to stop me from doing this on my own in a similar situation?

Well, they can't take you anywhere. What they CAN do is detain you for a 'reasonable amount of time', which is really their own way of fishing. They can detain you in the investigation of a probable crime, so long as they have reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

all pretty vague, guess that's the terms were using so far though. id need specifics to get more, i figure.

2T: a fiver says you couldnt gotten White Tiger offa shit, motherfucker was doomed the entire arc.

• 1 year later...

Archived