Hondo's Bar

Michael Turner Passes Away

Newtype

We are very sad to report that artist Michael Turner has died after a long battle with cancer. He was 37. Aspen Comics’ Vince Hernandez told CBR News Saturday morning that Turner passed away Friday night at 10:42 Pacific Time at Santa Monica Hospital in Calfiornia. The news spread quickly at Wizard World Chicago, during what would have otherwise been a riotous night at the hotel bar, the mood suddenly turned somber with remembrances of Turner from friends and acquaintances. A minute of silence will be observed during Wizard World Chicago Saturday afternoon.

Turner is an artist best known for his work on books like “Witchblade,” where he got his start in comics, moving on to titles such as “Black Panther,” “Superman/Batman” and his very own creator owned series “Fathom” and “Soulfire” through his publishing company Aspen Comics. A prolific artist, he’s done work for both DC Comics and Marvel Comics, and has provided covers to some of the best-known comics published in the last ten years, including Brad Meltzer’s “Identity Crisis.”

In 2000, Turner was diagnosed with cancer -- chondrosarcoma in the right pelvis, which resulted in his losing his hip, 40% of his pelvis and three pounds of bone. What followed was 9 months of radiation. The cancer has gone into remission and returned multiple times since he was first diagnosed.

The real sad part was that he was only 37 years old.

I took a survey once on comics. One question was why I buy them. One answer was stories, one was art, one was both. I checked stories and I remeber thinking I could never buy a comic solely for art. Then I saw Michael Turner's art. He is easily one of my favorite artists of all time. He drew the most beautuful women in comics hands down. I began to be able to recognize his covers in shops and I was never really able to do that and I would buy them just to see his art. I have his whole run on Fathom, Superman/Batman and FF. WOW! He was simply amazing, I will miss not seeing his art anymore, it deeply saddens me, but I will treasure the pieces I own (reproductions they may be) for all my days to come. Thank You Michael Turner.

Michael Turner's art was what single-handedly got me BACK INTO comics. Here's the story:

During the last 2 years of high school I fell off the whole comics thing because off wrestling and girls. I honestly lost interest in comics, and when I graduated and joined the Air-Force, thought I had truly grown out of them once and for all. Then one day while at the base mall (in Texas around '99 I think), I walked by a comic shop and went in for old times sake. That day I fell in love with a girl inside and her name was... Aspen Mathews. Her eyes. Her hair. Her skin. Her body! She was perfect! Well, she wasn't a real girl FOR REAL, but a cover of a comic book. Fathom #1 to be exact. I was so blown away by Michael Turner's art that I had to have EVERYTHING he put pencil to! This rest is history. In short, I would not be the person I am today without Michael Turner. So thanks Mike. Thank you for your gorgeous art... and for giving me comics again.

teentitansturner.jpg

sg01_turner_400x600.jpg

soulfire.jpg

MichaelTurner-8.jpg

incredhulk_cvr_100green-solicit.jpg

fathom_grace_poster.jpg

UltimateOrigins01_TurnerCover.jpg

fathom_aspen_poster.jpg

DEC052828~Fathom-Posters.jpg

R.I.P.

Michael_Turner.jpg

Yeah I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one as well, I never knew the guy's name till now and only upon seeing this do I connect the dots, but this was the guy that got me into doing comics in the first place, up till then drawing was little more than a dead end hobby for me but I bought an issue of Wizard and it had a lot of his stuff in it in adds and whatnot, a lot of Fathom and I remember seeing his work through the years and to this day it greatly impresses me, I always tried to emulate his style and always failed miserably, truly he drew the most beautiful women to ever grace a comic book and I'm going to miss seeing this guy's stuff. My only regret is that I never knew who he was and never became a proper fan.

Hey Cap you were in the Air Force? I've been to that Comic Book store at Lackland, I think it's still there...small world. Thank You for posting pics.

I have a buddy who's in the Air Force. I think he was in Lackland as well but that was years ago.

So odds are it was the same store.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah here be the Air Force boot camp...yeah that shop wasn't all that but when your stuck on post it worked...I wonder if it's still there. In my youth I'd hit every shop in town even hanging with bud's who were military brats in order to visit that one...been years now all old n going to one shop once a month...the dregs of aging...

Archived