Hondo's Bar

Greatest RPG of All Time

King of Snake

Well it's nice to be missed  :scared: *joy*

I played both of those as well.  Act Raiser 2 is good, but it's not as awesome as its predecessor.  Act Raiser 1 is a game that you can REALLY get hooked on!  Lufia 2 is a very good game, but I too never got around to finish it.  Last I recall, I was by that cave where you can go to Lv. 99 or something like that.  Maybe one day I will play it again.  I have Lufia 1 and that game is a great one too!

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Al, ill havta pick those up if i see em cheap & get my SNES workin, artisticcartoon murdered it in cold blood a while back, sadly.

Finished Shenmue II, ill post more on the series soon...if Xenosaga next fall doesnt come strong, Shenmue may very well become my favorite RPG series.  :D

Waitin on a friend to drop off his Sega Saturn & a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga - supposed to be this short, 4-disc amazing piece, all voice-overs & such...i've heard so much bout it that I cant wait...ill get back to ya'll on if it lives up to the hype.

:link:

• 2 weeks later...

Just be careful if you buy it on Ebay.  My old SNES bit the dust and I bought another one on Ebay for about $50.00, at first it works great, but after playing it a while, the soun gets all messed up and weird, but it doesn't affect the game play.  It is annoying at first, but eventually I got used to ti--I simply play it on low volume or mute most of the time.

I am hoping my best friend gets his PS1 back from his other friend in Nicaragua, then I can borrow it from him and maybe artistic could loan me some PS1 games and I can see how good they can be.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly agree with you there.  Had the game for over 10 years, and I STILL play it from time to time!  It's cool to play it with different party combinations.  I still adore playing Final Fantasies 1,4,5, & 6.  I have 2 & 3, but I never really got around to playing them.  Maybe they will join the ranks too.

Yeah, Finally somone with respect for the one that started it all. It's a Great Game, to bad my nintendo Was Stollen. Well that's what I thought untill my mom confessed giving it away... Which the penalty is definatly Death, or life without parol...

Hurdy gur,

Donovan

• 10 years later...

what are you seeing that i'm not?

MM still > OoT

i never did finish Vagrant Story, stuck at the mine cart area

TheGIA has been dead for a decade, and it's still better than kotaku and half the sites you guys link from

Chrono Cross didn't end up holding up well for me overtime, i think bish is right that its not the CT sequel we wanted, prolly wouldve done better with its own name

Shenmue 2 is sitll one of the best RPGs ever made

that's pretty much my arguemnt when bish defends it, he swears the combat system was way ahead for its time (did i say that in the day? i should read this thread again) but like a lotta PSX JRPGs i dug i think it ages pretty bad.

i wonder if that actual sequel-thing Radical Dreamers would've gone over better than this did, i know ive read about it so many times and always forget how it went. still, as a stand-alone, the OST was fantastic, i dug the art direction etc, i think my only complaint would've been the confusion about the main & panther guy, but weird metaphysical stuff is par for the genre i guess...i just cant look back and say "yeah, the characters/plot here were great", it was mostly the wrold & lore i was looking for, and without being tied in as "Chrono" half of that would've been absent.

i totally got the bad ending by not saving Schala in the finale and never went back too

I played Radical Dreamers, I found a translated ROM of it. It was as much a sequel as Chrono Cross was, if not less. The main difference was that one of the endings actually acknowledged that Guile (Gil in Radical Dreamers) was Magus while Chrono Cross only ever hinted at it. But it was a text-based adventure game so it was what is to be expected of those things.

Now that a decade has passed since this thread ended anyone want to put up some new choices for what they feel is the "Greatest RPG of All Time?"

Greatest RPG of all time (not MY favorite, but what I consider represents RPG's as far as what an RPG should have and play like) would either be Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape: Torment. The only reason I would say Planescape is it just has a much more engaging and entertaining story. It doesn't have quite as much content as BG2, but it is not a short or small game by any standards. I would also give a nod to Elder Scrolls: Morrowind for everything it has brought to the table. Even though I would consider it more of an action-rpg.

Sorry to go off-topic on what you guys are talking about, but I still haven't beat CT or CC.

i liked what i played. i liked it a lot more when i came around to the depth weapon-crafting had, but the OST and entire world of Ivalice is some top-notch Matsuno stuff (IIRC), i was digging the punisher esque plot bits too...its still gont one of the best RPG intros of its era for me.

loading it up again, the only jarring thing (past the controls, heh) is that it's so cinematic in nature and you kinda forget that voiceovers werent standard at the time.