Hondo's Bar

Batman: The Dark Knight

holy sheeeeit... all i have to say about this movie is BOUT DAMN TIME SUMTHIN LIVED UP TO ITS HYPE!... batman begins was boring.. i fell asleep in that thing twice in 1 sitting (i only see a theatre movie once btw) i couldnt believe there was actually a superhero movie better than spiderman.. thats amazing... no pun intended o_O,,, o yea and mr heath was awsome (not as natural as mr jack ) but magnificent all da same... O man i was traumatically impressed @_@;

SB again here: I was the only one who did, but I literally laughed out loud when Wayne asked Fox for a new suit and Fox replied with "ah, so you want to be able to turn your head." I've been complaining about that since '89!

that was right up there with "what did you want to wear, logan: yellow spandex?"

agreed my friend.. agreed.

OK I saw it last night. Ledger's performance was pretty close to as good as the hype. I'll have to rewatch to decide if he exceeded, feel slightly short of, or exactly lived up to the hype. Since there has been so much praise (all of which I agree with), I'll go ahead and harp on my one issue with the movie

Much like Anakin's turning to the dark side in Episode 3, I did not buy Harvey Dent's transformation. Eckhart exceeded all my expectations in playing Harvey Dent. But Harvey's transformation was always believable in other incarnations because he had a darkness in him before the face tramua. Either a multiple personality like in the animated series, or being beaten as a child, or something. I wasn't buying the idea that such a good man could lose his girlfriend (who had just accepted his marriage proposal) then actually blame Gordon and Batman, instead of the Joker. I bought it when he was killing mobsters and shit, but Gordon? Maybe I'll rewatch it and it'll be more believable....

Edited by Reverend Jax

Holy fuck, what an awesome movie. Just back in.

Agree with everything thats been said here, and Jax i totally agree with what you were saying.

I was worried the hype of this film may indeed ruin it for me, but Heath's performance was disturbing, intense, psycotic, and believeable. Amazing, and the whole cast was exceptional, from the supporting cast to the main stars. Each one great. Needless to say this has been the most enthralling film i've seen all year. And i can't wait now for Hell Boy 2.

I'm not that up on the comics, but man i wasn't expecting it to be Rachel who bit the bullet, i thought they'd both be saved!!!

Edited by soldier of fortune

By killing her off the break with one of

the most head scratching storylines from all the Batman movies. The chick Batman either takes to his lair or discovers his true identity.

Batman (1989): Vickie Vale - taken two Bat Cave and later finds out true indenity

Batman Returns: Catwoman (Selina Kyle) - Finds out his true identity

Batman Forever: Dr. Chase Meridian - Finds out his true identity

Batman and Robin: Batgirl (Barbara Wilson) - Finds out his true identity and becomes Batgirl? The less said about this one the better.

Batman Begins: Rachel Dawes - taken to Bat Cave and later finds out his true identity.

So, I found it jolting that they would eliminate the only woman who knew who he was.

Nah we didn't get the flick 'til thursday and I'd some wednesday preview tickets. Was good, not great.

Thought the whole Two Face thing was too rushed. It probably woulda been better if they left him out of it 'til part three. Kinda felt like Venom in Spidey 3 and killing him off was a waste too, though is dead really dead?

When Gordon got 'killed off' I was pissed. I went from enjoying the movie to a "FUCK YOU CHRIS NOLAN! YOU FUCKING CHUG HULK COCK" stance. Then when he came back I was delighted. Now when Maggie Gylenhaal died I coulda cared less. Dunno what it was, just don't think the Rachel character was any good from the get-go.

Finally half way through I kept obsessing over the fact that the Joker seems to be alls about the Gylenhaal family - he kills the sister and fucks the brother. Dirty, dirty Joker.

Batman and Robin: Batgirl (Barbara Wilson) - Finds out his true identity and becomes Batgirl? The less said about this one the better.

Was her name really Wilson in B&R? What there nothing right in that movie?

I thought Harvey Dent was really well developed, and it's a shame Two-Face was so rushed. Leaving him for the next movie would have been a better solution, but honestly, if he had just stuck to going after mobsters and dirty cops instead of Gordon and his family, it wouldn't have bothered me.

saw this last night, holy sweet jesus and fuck, was that a good movie.

i'm still reeling, probably the best comic book adaption i've ever seen (just pips sin city)

again, i agree with what everyone was saying, ledger was perfect, the story fantastic, batman was fucking badass everything i hoped for and more

I thought Harvey Dent was really well developed, and it's a shame Two-Face was so rushed. Leaving him for the next movie would have been a better solution, but honestly, if he had just stuck to going after mobsters and dirty cops instead of Gordon and his family, it wouldn't have bothered me.

i think the reason they made him go after gordan's family was to make him a villian and not just a vigilante, before he that he was just the punisher

i think the reason they made him go after gordan's family was to make him a villian and not just a vigilante, before he that he was just the punisher

Right, and I'm saying that, like with Anakin in Revenge of the Sith, I didn't buy the transformation.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Right, and I'm saying that, like with Anakin in Revenge of the Sith, I didn't buy the transformation.

At least Harvey had psychological trauma and possibly some mild brain damage to ease the transition.

At first, I didn't buy it either, but after watching the film the second time and noting just how many times Harvey warns Gordon about not trusting his own people and how many times Gordon brushes him off about it, it made more sense.

As for his brain trauma, he didn't appear to lose any cognitive functions, he only displayed severe grief over Rachael's death. Anyway, in my opinion, the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy hinged on the believableness of Anakin's turning to the dark side, but this transformation was not nearly as pivotal. I'm completely open to rewatching it and reassessing my take on it.

well i did'nt see episode three, so i can't compare the two.

but i did have my doubts about harvey's turn, when i mulled over the movie again it made a little more sense when you take into account what sb said.

it still seems like a bit of a stretch but not as bad as i first thought

Finally saw it yesterday...some things:

-i don't buy that dent is dead because they spent a lot of time developing his character and it would be a fucking waste of an amazing villian...they just scratched the tip of the iceberg at the end and then that's it? i don't think so. i think they staged a memorial to cover up his late actions and preserve his image as a beacon of hope for the city while throwing him in arkham or whatnot to be used in future storylines.

-yes, heath was fucking awesome. however, instead of feeling awesome after the movie, i was depressed the whole fucking day knowing that there would never be another joker performance from him. i guess if his last fully-completed movie had been brokeback or whatnot, it'd feel like there was closure because the characters were fully explored and the story was essentially self-contained versus this being an ongoing story where he could and most likely would be seen again in future installments, especially given the popularity of the character.

-i caught the cat reference too so i'm hoping it's just a red-herring and not the main villain for the next one. i was actually thinking that the next one would be batman in arkham. i'm not familiar with the graphic novels like a lot of you but wasn't batman put in arkham at some point? or did he go in there on his own? i can't remember who was telling me about that...probably nick. anyway, i think it was what the joker was saying at the end about batman ending up with the rest of them (his enemies) that made me think this is where they're going with the next one, but i could be reading way too much into it. plus, he's already decided to take the blame for harvey's killings which would make him a murdering vigilante in the eye of the public, no?

-gyllenhaal was a bajillion times better than holmes. thank you tom cruise. thank you so much.

-i fucking love eckhart and his portrayal of dent. i actually found myself dreading the development of his character because i didn't want him to become two-face. and i can understand his complete and rapid turn into two-face at the end. it's far more difficult to be an idealist, in my opinion, because they see the world as it should be, not as it is, so it's easier for them to be enormously affected by such a horrible event, whereas a realist may be just as upset but view it as another one of life's tragedies, grieve, and move on. especially, given the lengths dent went to rid the city of corruption only to have it exist anyway. he starts seeing the world as randomly violent, and through it, becomes a realist, albeit a vengeful one. to me, batman has to be a realist but highly admires idealism which is why he tries so hard to protect dent's reputation, sacrificing his own in the process. again, i think eckhart was a great choice. i've been telling nick for a while now that he would make an awesome rick if they ever made a walking dead tv series/movie/etc.

-i think bale did a great job so to be outshined by the supporting cast just demonstrates the high quality of the casting. there's no shame in that.

-i forget who said this on this thread but i had just read something a little earlier today on wikipedia saying that tim burton's batman was influenced by the killing joke. he even had the script rewritten because he felt the first version was too campy. so nolan's not the only director to have the source material influence the product.

the end. some of that probably didn't need to be spoilered but just in case.