Hondo's Bar

Batman: The Dark Knight

-i forget who said this on this thread but i had just read something a little earlier today on wikipedia saying that tim burton's batman was influenced by the killing joke. he even had the script rewritten because he felt the first version was too campy. so nolan's not the only director to have the source material influence the product.

Yeah, Burton's been quoted as saying the Killing Joke is his favorite comic book (despite, when insulting Kevin Smith, saying that he won't read comic books) but there's nothing of The Killing Joke in the cartoonish, campy Joker that he put into his movie. The Dark Knight and (yes I'll say it again) Return of the Joker are the closest we've gotten to having that Joker on screen.

-i don't buy that dent is dead because they spent a lot of time developing his character and it would be a fucking waste of an amazing villian...they just scratched the tip of the iceberg at the end and then that's it? i don't think so. i think they staged a memorial to cover up his late actions and preserve his image as a beacon of hope for the city while throwing him in arkham or whatnot to be used in future storylines.

See, I don't know... I kinda hope that Dent is dead. True, it does seem a waste to only spend the last act of a film with what is arguably Batman's second-best villain, but I think it would be truer to the character if that was his end. I couldn't see this Two Face ever becoming a true city-threatening villain. I think, even at his worst, there was too much good in him ("You think I want to escape from this?" - probably my favorite Eckhart moment in the film). In his mind, Gordon deserved what he was getting but, ultimately, I think that's as far as he would have ever gone. I don't think he ever became a true "agent of chaos" as the Joker hoped, he just wanted to even the odds and make those who were directly responsible for his pain suffer as much as he did.

If they really wanted to, they could expand that feeling to include more villainy - after all, where does he draw the line? He could blame the whole city for spawning the Joker in the first place? But I think that stretches the character too much and would harm him. If they want to bring Dent back for another movie, I guess I'd be ok with it, but I hope they bring him back for a chance at redemption, not as an out-and-out villain.

Yeah, Burton's been quoted as saying the Killing Joke is his favorite comic book (despite, when insulting Kevin Smith, saying that he won't read comic books) but there's nothing of The Killing Joke in the cartoonish, campy Joker that he put into his movie. The Dark Knight and (yes I'll say it again) Return of the Joker are the closest we've gotten to having that Joker on screen.

yeah, he was saying he can't read the panels in order or something so he hated comics. excuses, excuses. in batman, if the campy joker is toned down from the original campier script like burton says it was, then jesus christ. i guess it was a more fitting joker for an 80s movie with a prince soundtrack and jack attack. i can't see heath's joker fitting well in burton's batman and vice versa.

i think it was smart for nolan not to include any backstory for the joker in this one too. it makes him that much scarier because there doesn't seem to be a clear descent into his current state.

now that you guys are talking about hamill's joker, i want to see it.

-yes, heath was fucking awesome. however, instead of feeling awesome after the movie, i was depressed the whole fucking day knowing that there would never be another joker performance from him. i guess if his last fully-completed movie had been brokeback or whatnot, it'd feel like there was closure because the characters were fully explored and the story was essentially self-contained versus this being an ongoing story where he could and most likely would be seen again in future installments, especially given the popularity of the character.

LL, I felt the same way. I saw so much potential. A bit heartbreaking.

Man, I bought the first cut when it came out. What, am I supposed to own two DVD of it for basically one scene?

Three scenes and two conversations, and the edits pretty much castrated the feel of the movie.

Edited by Drifter

Review

That being said:

Thank fucking God Rachel Dawes is dead. Maggie Gyllenhal was horrible and the character itself was entirely unneccesary. If they're going to bring in a Batman love interest bring in Talia Al Ghul, she'd fit fairly well for the 3rd movie anyhow.

In Begins she was terrible, but in DK she served a grand purpose and excelled at it. Gylenhal was a lot more charismatic than Holmes' country mouse in the big city(or at least as she portrayed it).