Hondo's Bar

Half-Life 2: Episode 3

The NZA

halflife2_ep3.jpg

First look!

The official Into The Pixel web site give us our first conceptual look at Half-Life 2: Episode Three with this moody painting of, we assume, protagonist Gordon Freeman facing down the Advisor seen in previous episodes. Obviously, fans of the game know that Gordon has a serious beef with the Advisor following the events of Episode Two, but this hardly seems like a fair fight. Don't bring a crowbar to a telekinesis fight, Gordo.

While unconfirmed — the art is listed under "Half Life EP3" — it may lead to more speculation that the final episode in the Half-Life 2 trilogy will make an appearance at E3 2008. That's been denied by Valve spokesfolk, but you know how they love to twist words.

Potentially good news for consoles owners of the Sony persuasion is that the official Into The Pixel listing tags the game as seeing release on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. Bigger look after the jump.

good news indeed, since Valve apparently hates the system, between outsourcing Orange Box and not even trying (yet) on Left 4 Dead. Anyway, good news all around so far.

• 3 months later...

Just about.

If there's one thing Valve excels at, it's making us wait. If you thought the wait between Half-Life 2 and the episodes that followed it were long, expect to wait even longer for the third (and final?) episode in the continuing adventures of Gordon Freeman. Valve's marketing man Doug Lombardi tells Kikizo that Episode Three is going to be longer than the wait between every other entry in the series — longer than the wait for Episode One, longer than the wait for Episode Two.

That means we should expect at least a 19 month down time between the second and third episodes, putting the release of Episode Three no earlier than May of 2009, if our calculations are correct. Fortunately, Lombardi hints that Valve "may at the very end of the year" show something on Half-Life 2: Episode Three, after Left 4 Dead goes out the door and sells a bazillion copies.

Despite not giving a shit about the story(sorry DOJ & Baytor), will I be impaired by skipping onto eps 1 & 2 then? It's just so damn loong, whereas bite-sized eps are perfect for my tiny, tiny attention span.

Don't worry, you Spartan loving bastard, you get to make things 'splode in Half-Life as well. Trust me, you'll find its twice as entertaining as shooting rats at the dump.

Some folk'll never eat a skunk but then again some folk'll like Skeeter the slack jawed yokel...

In other news this is going to be a cakewalk compared to what Blizzard is doing. They've decided to split StarCraft 2 up into 3 games due to the epic scale of the single player campaigns, but that's not the clencher. The big thing is that they are saying there will AT LEAST be a year between the release of each one (and presumably at least another, but knowing Blizzard more than likely 3 or more, years until an expansion pack comes out)

So yeah, Valve may be all about taking as long as humanly possible but Blizzard is still the OG when it comes to procrastination.

Mh, I think it was a mistake to finish The Orange Box way too much before the release of HL2:Ep.3, 'cause I'm paying with a long wait =(

Couldn't Ep. 2 have finished in a more cliffhangerish way?

[POSSIBLE SPOILER]

Also, does anyone think we'll be using the Portal gun in Ep. 3?

Don't worry, you Spartan loving bastard, you get to make things 'splode in Half-Life as well. Trust me, you'll find its twice as entertaining as shooting rats at the dump.

Some folk'll never eat a skunk but then again some folk'll like Skeeter the slack jawed yokel...

Yeah fuck you, son. I play videogames for recreation, not as a means to escape my terrible sad fucking existence in the arsehole of nowhere by fantasising I'm some fag fucking mute with a crowbar. Me? I like escapism. I can't make shit asplode or jump real high in real life so I want a game where I can do that. You on the other hand play this shit and need some kind of physics grounding so it's easier to pretend these whatevers are your fucking parents or the jocks at school that wedgied you in the third fucking grade. Rip on games all you want because christ knows you internet haters are fucking legion, and you and your cuntish little review site'll remain in the shadow of the much more overexposed for fucking life, however don't piss all over my day cause you can't bring yourself to culturally slum. At least my shit's less likely to send kids all fucking Ramirez.

given that i dig RPGs and horror titles, im not sure what to make of all that.

i mean, katamari alone would mean i secretly long for children rolling up garbage. which isnt news to anyone beyond my therapist, really.

We're all in the same boat, sir.

But I'm more of a Portal guy myself: I'd make children fall an infinite fall for 3 hours... and then they'd land on a turret, because it was in my way.

just so you know, newguy, skeeter just Fired you for Having Dysentery. its a very rude way of saying you dont like someone around here, and youll see it a lot, sadly. Honestly, id ban him again, but its already thursday.

really, this is what happens when you dont read the F.A.Q. enough.

Yeah fuck you, son. I play videogames for recreation, not as a means to escape my terrible sad fucking existence in the arsehole of nowhere by fantasising I'm some fag fucking mute with a crowbar. Me? I like escapism. I can't make shit asplode or jump real high in real life so I want a game where I can do that. You on the other hand play this shit and need some kind of physics grounding so it's easier to pretend these whatevers are your fucking parents or the jocks at school that wedgied you in the third fucking grade. Rip on games all you want because christ knows you internet haters are fucking legion, and you and your cuntish little review site'll remain in the shadow of the much more overexposed for fucking life, however don't piss all over my day cause you can't bring yourself to culturally slum. At least my shit's less likely to send kids all fucking Ramirez.

Your mouth is open and your lips are moving but all I can hear is banjo music.

Ahh you're just a poor man's Yahtzee/*insert random sarcastic internet phenom more relevant to movies here*. I need to heed your opinion like I needs my 3rd grade edgygashon. Seriously you little batboy, don't make this personal. I'm tired and could just rant random shit all day.

Ah, I see, I wasn't aware that if I innocently prodded you in the same way you do to others that that was "making it personal." My mistake.

And yes, Ben Croshaw invented curse words and pointing out things that are bad, and as such I am a ripoff of him. And I see your point about games as escapism, I mean I love shooting aliens just because they're there but usually I'm doing it in a pixelated tank moving backward and forward shooting directly up at a bunch of twitching bug things that had the common decency to invade only a small portion of earth in a set formation. I'm sorry that I look for some sort of quality beyond repetitive game play, as much as I like House of the Dead if I'm paying 50-70 dollars for something I expect a bit more than "shoot these guys cause they're evil. A thousand pardons.

You forgot Yahtzee created God, and therefore by proxy created PCs for you to post and bitch on, just so you know. ANd see, I figure you prolly came into prominence before him even, and that's why I left the *insert* space because all you internet bitches hating your way to percieved fame shit me to tears with your idunno, many-ness. Yahtzee has a unique angle and uses it, hence he's interesting. Anyways, not the discussion we're having. It occurred to me after the fact that you were prolly just stirring, I'm tired and apologise for reacting. Still man, we've had this discussion so many damned times it's a little tiring.

You forgot Yahtzee created God, and therefore by proxy created PCs for you to post and bitch on, just so you know. ANd see, I figure you prolly came into prominence before him even, and that's why I left the *insert* space because all you internet bitches hating your way to percieved fame shit me to tears with your idunno, many-ness. Yahtzee has a unique angle and uses it, hence he's interesting. Anyways, not the discussion we're having. It occurred to me after the fact that you were prolly just stirring, I'm tired and apologise for reacting. Still man, we've had this discussion so many damned times it's a little tiring.

That's true, but I don't make the hating the centralized point of my reviews I just generally poke fun at questionable ideas and my reviews are usually filled with just as much if not more praise where it's due. (unless of course the movie is absolutely deplorable, then it deserves what it gets) Most of the hate in my reviews is toward the people I know will inevitably bitch and moan about how I review. I'm not a "professional critic" which to me is the most useless thing a person can be, I just tell it like it is. Blame the abrasiveness on the imdb forums, they have jaded me so.

Yeah I figured you'd catch on eventually, no harm done. And my point is this, focusing on a game just for gameplay is like focusing on a song just for the guitar solos. If it's there, it can and should be judged, and so I do. I am a critical person (and if you think I'm bad about other people's work you should see me rag on my own), you'll get used to it.

just so you know, newguy, skeeter just Fired you for Having Dysentery. its a very rude way of saying you dont like someone around here, and youll see it a lot, sadly. Honestly, id ban him again, but its already thursday.

really, this is what happens when you dont read the F.A.Q. enough.

I... don't really understand why was I FHD'd (and I read the whole FAQ), but I'm thinking it was because of my lame post. Eh.

Archived