Hondo's Bar

The Thought Criminals

MetalHeart

http://www.myspace.com/thethoughtcriminals

The Thought Criminals are:

Rocky Goode - Vocals/Lyrics

Kirlian Blue - Synths/Backing Vocals

Inluences are: The Sex Pistols, David Bowie, Gary Numan, Front 242, T-Rex, Japan, Soft Cell, Prodigy, Aphex Twin, Ultravox, Duran Duran, Visage, The Human League, The Sisters Of Mercy, Siouxie & The Banshees, New Order, John Foxx, Killing Joke, Public Image Limited, Depeche Mode, Devo, Adam & the Ants, Cabaret Voltaire, Joy Division, Tubeway Army

Sounds like: Prodigy, Gary Numan, Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine, Tubeway Army, Soft Cell, Covenant, Public Image Limited, Depeche Mode, The Sex Pistols, leftfield, John Foxx, Adam And The Ants, Revolting Cocks, Nitzer Ebb, Devo, Ultravox, Front 242, T Rex, David Bowie, The Cure

Back in 2004 two very different and unique individuals met by fate in South London after a Club night was cancelled. Both started talking about music and the general state of the Alternative Scene. On that same night they decided to start a Band. Kirlian Blue at the time was becoming fed up with The British Police State and Brain-dead Celebrity’s.

The name was chosen, so the due became The Thought Criminals. They started to work on a sound and image. Luckily Kirlian had bumped into Tony Messenger a Producer and started recording early tracks like Cyberslut and Revenge. Coming from South London and having quite unique outlooks and experiences in life the duo put their personalities into the Music. The Thought Criminals became a Tongue and Cheek electro outfit. There was no band out there doing it since the late 1970’s and in true South London cheek the style became an instant trademark. At the time the only music making any impact on the UK Charts was by The Prodigy, Gary Numan and Goldfrapp. The duo put their frustrations & humour into the music they recording something there new found following picked up instantly.

With a stagnant charts and a stagnant fashion world in Britain at the time, the Duo instantly came up with an image which separated them from bland unimaginative Indie & Dance musicians. Something which is yet to be achieved by the so By 2006 The Thought Criminals had become a live band . The band headlined Venues like The Mass, Brixton, The Underworld Camden, Goldsmiths College and The Dublin Castle. With these live dates there was clear evidence Rocky and Kirlian’s sound and vision was working. The Band also self released Die Young: Stay Pretty and the classic Singles I Wanna Be a Celebrity and Suicide Bomber. Even though none the releases charted the tracks were picked up and put on several compilations/split singles.

By April 2008 it was clear to Rocky and Kirlian that they needed to go back to there routes with the sound. Since the start the band had a problem being defined as any Genre. The move into Alternative Dance was probably clear for sometime with the Remix’s and the heavy alternative dance production on the first album.

(All of the above is taken from their myspace, because it explains it best, lol.)

They used to have three/four people, if I remember right, but now I can't find any mention of the mysterious third member. I'm guess things ended badly. Another weird thing is a lot of their pictures are not up on myspace anymore, but whatevs <3

I came to hear TTC a while back when I became friends with Kirlian over Gary Numan... I think on LJ. He pimped his band to me, and I've loved them ever since.

Definitely check them out! I'll be back with more stuff later :2T:

edit

Picture <3

708961174_l.jpg

ALSO haha when I was searching for the image, I found out that there was an Australian punk band from the 70's of the same name.... oh boy. I wonder if they know.

Archived