Hondo's Bar

Best Joker

Best Joker  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its a toughie, but I went with Heath.

He was brilliant, insane, heartless...wow!

I haven't seen the 1st Batman since I was a kid and don't remember it much, but it seemed that Joker was more over the the top than krazy to me...

Jack wasn't bad. He was funny, made me laugh.

But Heath stands alone in his own category. He's one of extreme few actors that have ever made me go HOLY SHIT. Heath's acting was above and beyond. When he got into the role, he WAS the clown prince of crime.

I don't know... Jack still kinda does it for me. He's brilliant in Batman and, really, he MAKES that movie. I honestly can't decide right now. Heath's performance is too fresh in my mind. I can say this... they were both perfect.

To each his own. For me Jack's Joker was the perfect role for him... but Jackisms shone through, so to me it was the Jacker so to speak.

But Heath... he made The Joker my favorite villian. He had everything down. He even studied, and mastered what would happen if someone had cut their cheeks like that. It messes up their salavary glands, which is why he talked the way he did, and sometimes sucked in before speaking.

But, that's me...

Yeah I agree. Mark Hamill and Caesar Romero need to be included in this poll.

For me...

#1 = Heath Ledger

#2 = Mark Hamill

#3 (and still great) = Caesar Romero

#4 = Jack Nicholson

The top 3 are great, but Ledger's the only one who blows me away.

Though I'd argue this is a "best" joker poll.

Well it's all a matter of opinion. Maybe some people think Cesar Romero might be the "best" Joker. If you're gonna do a poll about it, I just feel every option should be considered.

Man, Hamill does a great job (of :birf: too, believe it or not).

Jack did own the role to the point where nobody wanted to take it up again, but Heath not only got the anarchy bit down pat, he came off as absolutely terrifying in certain scenes. Jack played himself, over-the-top and just like the Shining it was a perfect fit, but i didnt think Heath's prior roles (granted, ive only seen a few) would lend himself well here, and yet he embodied the sociopath. My vote goes to Heath.

haha, someone's salty 'cause some of you crazies want Romero above/on par with Jack, which to be fair, is pretty insane. I mean, 60s Bats was campy fun, but its like putting a musical up against a serious take on the character.

I fuckin hate this board.

haha, someone's salty 'cause some of you crazies want Romero above/on par with Jack, which to be fair, is pretty insane. I mean, 60s Bats was campy fun, but its like putting a musical up against a serious take on the character.

LMAO a little more than salty I'd say. He left cause no one agreed that Jack Nicholson was good at playing Jack Nicholson acting as The Joker. Shit, had that been the case I wouldn't have stayed on Hondos until my WoW obsession took over, and Arch woulda.. Er wait he did leave that one time... but that was just a few weeks. This is just a few weeks too. Go on, have yer little QQ fest... You'll be back... ya pansy...

Yeah I'm with Benny, Jack Nicholson is wonderful at playing every character except the one he's supposed to be playing, which is why now all he's doing are crazy old man parts.

Nicholson's Joker was about as much The Joker as Carey's Riddler was The Riddler. Nicholson just seemed to be playing a slightly crazier version of The Penguin and really was just above Cesar Romero playing the part the way it was supposed to be played (though Cesar loses points just cause he wouldn't shave his goddamn mustache)

Heath Ledger and Mark Hammil are the only two great Jokers, Nicholson was already past the pinnacle of his career at that point and had stopped playing individual characters and just playing one stock character which he's been using ever since.

Ledger owns this category. His Joker was truly terrifying, you do not know what to expect when he is on screen.

I compare to watching Hannibal Lecter in the Silence of the Lambs, a calculating villain capable of any atrocity.

I used to love Jack Nicholson's Joker, but then you realize he is very hammy. He is very smart, but ultimately a clown.

He does not even kill that many people other than gangsters and his own henchman, at the end he might kill people with the Smilex gas, but even that appears to be a low body count. Ledger's Joker racks a considerably high body count, and many are innocent victims.

Mark was great as far as voice actors go, but live action it's Heath all the way.

I'd be with you all the way there, except for one thing - Return of the Joker. Hamill and the writing team took the character to scary (albeit slightly limited by the intended audience) places that even Nolan didn't go. Ledger's Joker may have killed a bunch of innocent people but even he didn't

kidnap, torture, drug, surgically enhance, and brainwash a young child into believing he was his son.

Return of the Joker also boasts the best

final last words for the character. Anytime the Joker dies in any medium, he should never be given any other last line than this: "That's...not...funny..."

To me, Ledger is the best real world Joker. I could just about see a psychopath like him existing in the real world, or at least the slightly enhanced world of Nolan's Batman. But when it comes to a moving, walking, talking interpretation of the more flamboyant, vaudevillian character that is depicted in the comics, I turn to Return of the Joker and Mark Hamill.

If you really want to skip ahead to the best Joker, don't worry about finding the animated series episodes, go straight for the animated movies: Batman - Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker. Until Dark Knight came along, I swear to god these were the best feature-length Batman movies ever made and they both showcase a great Joker as well.

Archived