Hondo's Bar

Watchmen

just so ya know. i didn't see this posted anywhere else, but i didn't look too hard either, so hopefully this isn't a repeat.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808406490/video/8881451

I THINK IT LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME.

FUCKING AWESOME.

in case you missed how FUCKING AWESOME i think it looks.

i watched it two FUCKING AWESOME TIMES.

hahah I felt like such a nerd when I saw this at The Dark Knight. Two seconds in I yelled "HOLY FUCK!" haha. I was giddy throughout the whole thing! It looks AMAZING!! Some parts looked like it was ripped from the graphic novel. It helped make me feel just a little bit better about it... I hope it turns out to be awesome!!!

PS Dr. Manhattan looks great.

I've seen people bitching about how Dr. Manhatten looks, I think he looks great though.

I love the costumes, and i love how they aren't (or at least some of it will be shown) cutting out The Comedian's backstory.

Honestly, I feel like I want to be selfish. I think everyone should be forced to read the book before they are allowed to watch the movie. I feel that this movie should only be made for those who have appreciated this book for so many years (I read it when i was 18 haha).

i hate how many times i have to tell people things like "V for Vendetta is an awesome comic." and they don't even know it was a graphic novel/comic book until I told them. Or they don't believe me and think I'm the one who is dumb.

Same with 300, Sin City and many others. It just pisses me off. i don't even know why...

/end rant continue with FUCKING AWESOME talk.

Also, Thank you Watchmen trailer for reminding me about that Smashing Pumpkins gem "The Beginning is the end is the beginning". Lurve! I used to love that song!!

Man, if I believed in jinxing, I would say using a song that was originally released on the Batman & Robin soundtrack is pushing fate.

Also, the claim, "Most acclaimed Graphic Novel of All Time," is a bold one. Certainly Maus is at least competitive for the title.

Read the graphic novel by Alan Moore if you haven't, I'm not so sure you'd be as excited- as a great big fucking fan of Alan Moore, I'm nervous.

I'm really, really leery of this adaptation of the graphic novel.

It looks bombastic and loud- and that's just not how I picture the Watchmen. I never pictured the film with a giant Hollywood budget or pretty-boy director (Zak Snyder did a nice job with 300 but I have my doubts here).

The thing about the Watchmen- the beauty was in the details. The small conversations, sardonic glances, dry jokes...it was dialogue not explosions and minute guns...

Although NKnight pointed out a pretty nice frame-by-frame comparison between the teaser trailer and the graphic novel:

http://www.empireonline.com/trailer/breakdown/watchmen/

It's obviously visually stunning, but I'm holding my breath for acting, plot, and subtle interaction.

Anyway, yeah, I was critical of V for Vendetta as I will be of this until I see it, maybe I'll spooge my seat from awesome- maybe I won't, we'll see- either way I'll be there opening night!

Read the graphic novel by Alan Moore if you haven't, I'm not so sure you'd be as excited- as a great big fucking fan of Alan Moore, I'm nervous.

It looks bombastic and loud- and that's just not how I picture the Watchmen. I never pictured the film with a giant Hollywood budget or pretty-boy director (Zak Snyder did a nice job with 300 but I have my doubts here).

The thing about the Watchmen- the beauty was in the details. The small conversations, sardonic glances, dry jokes...it was dialogue not explosions and minute guns...

Although NKnight pointed out a pretty nice frame-by-frame comparison between the teaser trailer and the graphic novel:

It's obviously visually stunning, but I'm holding my breath for acting, plot, and subtle interaction.

Anyway, yeah, I was critical of V for Vendetta as I will be of this until I see it, maybe I'll spooge my seat from awesome- maybe I won't, we'll see- either way I'll be there opening night!

You have to understand, from the marketing perspective, that they have to sell the movie, no matter what it takes. otherwise the movie means nothing to the greedy bastards of the vampire known only as Hollywood. People do not want to see deep thoughts ™ in a movie trailer. So hopefully (and yes, i totally understand your concern...I NEED this movie to kick ass, in ways the novel kicked mine *see above ranty-ravey uber snob post*) so I won't jugde. Not until i see the movie. I also refuse to listen to internets blah blah. the internets is full of it.

I want to have an open mind, like I did back in the day when I first read the book (I've read it 56 times....yes i counted...I'm OCD like that) and had an open mind about the worlds that were created for my young and deep pocketed mind.

It's the number one reason I never really want to see Preacher put on film in any way shape or form. I'm a selfish bitch at heart and Preacher is shared with a few friends, and even less family, that I would trust to understand, I mean truly, understand the meaning and pure genuis of.

I felt the same way at first too. I wasn't hugely impressed with 300 (granted most of the things I didn't like are all Frank Miller's fault) and I was worried that Snyder would turn Watchmen into the same kind of slow motion, guts and glory, macho bullshit kind of film. But then came the good signs. The fact that he's putting together an animated Black Freighter to supplement the film. The fact that he hired little-known, talented actors instead of action stars. And now this trailer that shows he's included scenes of the Comedian and Manhattan in Vietnam, and the clockwork palace on Mars. These are all things that a director who was only interested in making a brainless superhero action movie wouldn't have included, I think, and that gives me some faith. Maybe Snyder was just channeling Miller when he did 300 and if so, he did it very well. And maybe he can channel a little bit of Moore the same way.

Moore's a great writer but (despite how he seems to feel about himself) it is possible to adapt his work for the screen and have it still retain much of its power and intelligence. I personally think V for Vendetta proved that. Maybe Snyder can make it happen again.

Besides, Solid Snake worked on the screenplay! Don't complain or he'll fuck you up, man.

I agree with you there. That's one of the many reasons I love Moore's work is because it's dialogue driven, and the small details like you mentioned. It doesn't translate well to big screen, but I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that they do the best they can...

Still worried about the typical 2 hour (give or take) time frame fitting in everything, but. I dunno. V translated better than League and From Hell. They seem to be understanding more and more as each one gets made, lol.

Well to be fair, LXG was made by filmmakers who didn't make any good movies, and the script was written before the comic series was even finished. That was a lost cause. And From Hell was pretty much unadaptable as it was, though I think the Hughes brothers took the basic idea and made a pretty good movie from it, even if it didn't have too much in common with Moore's book.

Well to be fair, LXG was made by filmmakers who didn't make any good movies, and the script was written before the comic series was even finished. That was a lost cause. And From Hell was pretty much unadaptable as it was, though I think the Hughes brothers took the basic idea and made a pretty good movie from it, even if it didn't have too much in common with Moore's book.

I totally agree... I will admit as well that I haven't read LXG, just going off of what Cj and Logan have educated me with.

From Hell is still one of my most liked movies, as well as my most favorite reads.

I just feel that each one gets better and better, I guess. I know that doesn't make sense being different film makers and groups making them, but I'm hoping that it somehow (as nonsensical as I sound lolz)keeps up with this tradition and gives us a kick ass film :FHD:

One of the great thing about Watchmen is how dense this alternate universe is. The devil is truly in the details.

I found this image online today. Which gives he hope that Snyder is addressing the details.

It is an Alberto Vargas style pin-up style portrait of the first Silk Spectre Sally Jupiter, as portrayed by Carla Gugino.

00017157.jpg

It is actually visible in the trailer, hanging in the Comedian's apartment.

The artist James Jean says the painting will be used to tell a story about the Silk Spectre in the Comedian's apartment fight scene.

Picture1.png

If they are being this meticulous with the small things, this is a very good sign.

• 4 weeks later...

You know in regards to the post in Blargh Terry Gilliams' Watchmen cast grew on me. The more I thought about it the more I thought Robin Williams actually could've played a good Rorschach when he was younger. And Gary Busey seemed wrong at first too but then I thought about it more and it certainly matches The Comedian's tics. Jamie Lee Curtis was meh for Silk Spectre.

I also learned that with 3 different directors nobody could get Nite-Owl quite right. The best idea I saw for him was a Wizard magazine which called for William H. Macey and even that was kinda iffy.

Archived