Hondo's Bar

What are you saying? You think an Oliver Stone movie might not be entirely flattering to the President? Holy heavy insight, Batman!

What kills me about this movie is the cast. This is the kinda weird all A-list cast that people would come up with...well...on a Hondos-like internet board. But it should be a crime to do something like that to Thandie Newton. A fuckin' crime.

No, i think Oliver Stone spends too much time in Fantasy Land and likes to push his own agenda.

And that's different from every other movie how? Everybody has their own agenda and their own vision and they use their movies to show it. This guy isn't exactly any worse because his agenda and vision have a political bent.

No, but political bents have a nasty tendencies of making things up, portraying things in a specific light and using other methods which stretch credulity and become dishonest. Stone has a history of doing t his kinda stuff.

Edit:

Don't get me wrong, i don't doubt the movie wont be entertaining...as a general rule, though, I don't like movies that shove their agenda down my throat, particularly ones that make shit up as they go along.

No, but political bents have a nasty tendencies of making things up, portraying things in a specific light and using other methods which stretch credulity and become dishonest. Stone has a history of doing t his kinda stuff.

Big deal, he's not a documentarian. Every other fictionalized film about a reallife figure is guilty of the same.

• 2 months later...

Saw this yesterday. It was really good, and leaves you thinking about the movie for a good while after you leave the theater. The Chronology was fractured, jumping back and forth between young W and President W. But not like Tarentino fractured, the past stuff went in order, and the president stuff went in order, it just went back and forth between the two periods. Alot was skipped over, most shockingly the 2000 election. The movie doesn't portray anything between the time he decided that God wants him to run for President and a cabinet meeting after the success of the invasion of Afghanistan where they're talking about going into Iraq too. In fact, the only issue of his presidency that is covered is Iraq. As many reviewers have noted, the movie paints a pretty sympathetic and interesting picture of Bush. You have a hard time hating Bush even if you went in doing so. Of course, you don't admire him either. The movie is really at its core about how W's relationship with his father effects and drives him.

For those wondering about accuracy, Scott McClellan, who worked with Bush from 1999 in Texas until 2006 in Washington, said it was pretty accurate, though not dead-on. I'm personally curious what Colin Powell's opinion is, specifically of the internal meetings.

Archived