Hondo's Bar

Bennigan's in Bankruptcy

archangel

This is the day Nick dies a little on the inside

Bennigan's, Steak & Ale file for bankruptcy

Texas-based restaurant chains, owned by Metromedia Restaurant Group, say they won't be able to pay creditors.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Restaurant chains Bennigan's and Steak & Ale have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection and will shut their doors, less than two months after their parent company said it was not preparing to do so.

The companies filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday in the Eastern District of Texas. Their parent company - privately held Metromedia Restaurant Group - is based in Plano, Texas.

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, a company seeks to liquidate its assets and shut down.

'Closed for business'Employees at a Bennigan's in Plano were greeted by a sign Tuesday on the front door reading "WE ARE CLOSED. THANK YOU." Next door, a Steak & Ale sat empty in a deserted parking lot but there was no sign posted.

A waiter named Steve, who wouldn't give his last name, said the staff got a phone call Tuesday morning telling them the restaurant was closing.

Neither Bennigan's nor the Metromedia Restaurant Group returned calls for comment. A lawyer listed in the filing, J. Michael Sutherland of Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal LLP, did not return a call.

According to a recorded message on the law firm's answering system, not all stores using the Bennigan's and Steak & Ale trade names have filed for bankruptcy and some franchise locations were not included in the filing.

List of debtorsThe filing lists 38 separate entities that it classified as "debtors" but does not include a list of locations that are shutting down.

All restaurants have been struggling as consumers cut back on discretionary spending to better deal with high gas prices, the weak housing market and inflation. The hardest hit have been casual dining chains and bar and grill restaurants, which charge higher prices than fast food and other quick-service chains.

Bar and grill restaurants have also suffered from intense competition. Morningstar analyst John Owens said several chains expanded quickly, making it more difficult for customers to differentiate between them and forcing many companies to cut prices to lure diners.

"Bennigan's was the weakest of the major players," Owens said.

Meanwhile, commodity costs have soared, forcing chains to either raise menu prices or see profits plunge.

Credit has also been tight, making it difficult for companies to restructure their debt.

In June, Metromedia Restaurants said it was formulating a proposal to present to its lenders to restructure its debt, but said it was not preparing to file for bankruptcy.

Repaying creditorsIn the filing, the company indicated that it has up to 49 creditors. It said it will have no funds left after administrative expenses are paid to repay its creditors.

The news appeared to be a shock to most of the company's employees, but some may have had an inkling that the company was not doing well.

Steve, the Bennigan's waiter in Plano, said he recently went from making $30 on a good lunch shift to only $10.

"Business has been slow," said Steve, who said he relies on tips. "I went from making a lot of money on a shift to making very little." bug.gif

Oh no, not Bennigans, how will I ever live without Bennigans when I can go to TGI Fridays and eat the same goddamn food.

haha, yeah. the stereotypical irish joint will be missed...about as much as skeeter would miss outback steakhouse.

now, if chicken kitchen, moe's, mebbe flannagan's went down, id openly weep.

Bennigan's might possibly have been my least fave of places to grab a bite anyway, so I'm not losing sleep over this...

I agree with Nick...if Flanigans were to go down, I think I'd jump... :D

Benny's sad...he needs closure, he says...

Yeah, this is a bit sad at first. Then I remembered there isn't much ifany Irish food on the menu. We still have that place on miracle mile, so I'm ok. Besides not all of them are closing.

Oh?

According to a recorded message on the law firm's answering system, not all stores using the Bennigan's and Steak & Ale trade names have filed for bankruptcy and some franchise locations were not included in the filing.

List of debtorsThe filing lists 38 separate entities that it classified as "debtors" but does not include a list of locations that are shutting down.

If I can, I'll have to go there one last time and get a monte cristo. :america:

<shudder>

I don't know if it was my local Bennigans or what, but I tried it once and it was like swallowing pure grease.

I don't even think that I had a signature entree over there since I might be able to count the times that I've been there on one hand. Eh, maybe a Reuben...

Eh, Aarty beat me to it. Lol

But yeah at least we still have John Martin's and a few others. Flannigan's on St. Patrick's Day too. If not, then there's probably some in Iowa, or if all else fails, come visit me and Aarty in Boston sometime kids.

Eh, Aarty beat me to it. Lol

But yeah at least we still have John Martin's and a few others. Flannigan's on St. Patrick's Day too. If not, then there's probably some in Iowa, or if all else fails, come visit me and Aarty in Boston sometime kids.

Thought you two lived in Florida... or are yall moving to Boston after you're married?

Aw Man! No more overpriced Green Beer on St. Patty's!

That's too bad though, for years in this western area of Miami, Bennigan's was the restaurant we always went to eat. There was not much competition. As time went on, here as well as other places I am sure the competition became fierce, within a mile from the Bennigan's you now have: Outback, On the Border, Red Lobster, Chili's, On the Border, Flannigan's. All they had to do was make a couple of bad decisions, in this aggressive marketplace, and that was it.

As far as Steak and Ale, most of those had closed by the 90's. There was only one I knew of that had been there for 30 years. Kinda sad. I hope they were able to compensate employees somehow.

Thought you two lived in Florida... or are yall moving to Boston after you're married?

Yeah we live in Miami. You never know what the future will bring though. Boston is known for its Irish population, and Pubs, and Restaraunts.

Archived