Hondo's Bar

Gary Oldman

Does anyone else think Gary Oldman is the shit? He's one of my favorite actors of all time now. I've always liked him, but I just watched Leon The Professional again. He is one of the best parts of the movie and he's not one of the main people inn the movie. It's one of those characters you want to see more of, but you don't. He seems to have that part in a lot of movies like the Fifth Element also directed by Luc Besson. He's one of those actors that's really good supporting actor and he can play anything. I thought His version of Dracula was the best and I'm not real into vampires or Dracula. Even Batman I was worried about him playing Gordon, I thought it was to normal for him. I turned out to be wrong he was a great Gordon.

Also rocked as Sid!!!!

Yeah Gary Oldman's always good. 'Cept in Lost in Space, but that wasn't really his fault. I find it amazing that he feels like such a huge part of Leon but he only really has (maybe) ten minutes of screentime in the film.

I forgot all about Lost In space! Noy one of his best... didn't he play a giant spider? Or turn into one?

what's funny about Oldman was, when i was thinking of who'd play a good joker (before Ledger knocked it outta the park), his name kept coming into my head...then he ended up Commissioner Gordon. heh.

i think i had that idea after the Professional.

what's funny about Oldman was, when i was thinking of who'd play a good joker (before Ledger knocked it outta the park), his name kept coming into my head...then he ended up Commissioner Gordon. heh.

Ten or fifteen years ago, he'd have been a great choice, but I think he's avoiding villain work now. Which I don't mind. His over-the-top, crazy villains were fun in the 90s, but I really love the new, subtle, good guy Gary Oldman. If Ledger hadn't been there to tear the celluloid to shreds, I think Oldman's Gordon would have been the highlight of Dark Knight (followed closely by Eckhart...and Bale...and Caine...damn, that movie's cast is just too good).

i think i had that idea after the Professional.

I never realised that "the professional" was just what "Leon" was called in the u.s.

i always thought it was one of those movies i had to see, but had'nt yet :welcome:

quick someone recommend a great movie i have to see.

also oldman is indeed lovely

quick someone recommend a great movie i have to see.

Any movie, or a Gary Oldman movie?

If it's any movie, then watch Speed Racer. I won't rest until everyone has seen it and it's a bigger cult hit than Clerks, Fight Club and Evil Dead 2 put together!

As for Gary Oldman movies, he only has a small role in it, but if you have never seen True Romance, make it the next movie you watch. If you want a movie starring Oldman, Sid & Nancy is great (especially if you're into the '77 Punk culture).

Yeah, the way Clarence talked to Elvis is exactly the way Jesse talked to the Duke. I never realized it before. And Alabama (towards the end of the movie) does remind me a bit of Tulip. It's a shame she's 40 now. A 25-year-old True Romance-era Patricia Arquette would have been a great casting of Tulip.

Anyway, in case anyone that hasn't seen True Romance isn't convinced it's a must-see, here's Oldman at his finest:

Looking at this clip again, Oldman reminds me a bit of Harvey Keitel in Taxi Driver (Oldman is also a pimp).

Gary Oldman is such a great actor that I don't have any idea what he is like in real life. Most actors are really just playing a version of themselves in everything they do, you can tell if you'd want to hang out with them, if you'd be annoyed by them... that's why we can have such major crushes on them. Even good actors... But I have absolutely no clue what he's like in real life, which is awesome!

For me, it's him and Daniel Day Lewis alone in that category.

My favorite is so him in true romance... this nice british guy as a dirty wigger pimp!

Sid & Nancy was awesome too... him in that movie stuck in my head for days.

Anyway, in case anyone that hasn't seen True Romance isn't convinced it's a must-see, here's Oldman at his finest:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl_nqx7XQO4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl_nqx7XQO4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl_nqx7XQO4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Looking at this clip again, Oldman reminds me a bit of Harvey Keitel in Taxi Driver (Oldman is also a pimp).

:)

Ho-ly Shit! Seems like I'm adding this one to my Netflix cue...

Archived