Hondo's Bar

Dexter

How so? The

status quo is entirely changed from season 4. Sure everyone but Dexter is in a state of Arrested development(sister still a crack whore, Batista & Laguerra(sp) still doing their ackward little two-step) but Ossifer faketan's really stepped up from shady cop to hard-nosed investigator, and I can't help but feel that this is how the situation will probably resolve itself: Dexter hangs something over him to get him off his back. Although based on the rpeview for next week's ep the genie may well be out of the bottle by that point.

all caught up, just gotta watch tonight's episode later this week. from another thread:

I'm still excited to see Angel (pronounced An-HELL) from Dexter

this reminds me: does it bother anyone else that even spanish actors/actresses in this show seem to have some of the worst accents speaking spansh? its like they just got out of a class or something. the only exception was

the guy who ran that shop in the last ep, one lost his head...he sounded awesome.

also, JZA; this new rookie cop hanging with deb, doesnt she remind you of the hot/useless cop chick from The Shield?

also: they tied up Dex the house-dad pretty quick at least, back on track with listening to his dark passenger finally.

Batista's accent is good. He has the Cuban quirks down, too. LaGuerta's good. No complaints with either. The only thing that bothers me is that all these 'hoods' in Dexter's Miami are Mexican. While there are Mexicans in Miami, they make a VERY small impact criminally. Also, I can tell they're filming less and less in Miami as the seasons roll on. :(

Still, Dexter is the man!

eh, Batista seems mad forced to me - like, every scene, he should be wearing a guayabera and smoking a cigar. i've come around to him but early on in the show, i thought he was trying way too hard to look/be cuban...the show constantly playing non-cuban/miami music transitioning scenes doesn't help this for me; its like, yeah, they're obviously filming a lotta shit elsewhere, but at times it feels like they're showing what miami looks like in the minds of people who haven't been there. to be fair, lotta shows do this way worse.

LaGuerta's just hard for me to take seriously at all, they kinda botched her character in the earlier season when she slept with that crazy bitch's man, i keep feeling like they got no idea what to do with either of them. at least deb and faketan have gotten more interesting, though.

Mark my words, he's gonna have to kill this girl cause she done gone crazy (vengeance girl)

I disagree, i think their accents are pretty good. Batista seems quite natural. For now what's going on with him and you know who is kinda boring.

Also, deb is someone i've come around to. lately she's been less annoying as in seasons 1-3. maybe i feel bad for her, or she's showing her sincere vulnerability, or she's got some hotness to her, not sure which.

and... i have about a million gripes with how their police works. like how dexter can run people.. then run them from home... all persons of interest are flagged. there's a record of who runs what and you'll have the FBI on your doorstep if you run, let's say, obama. fingerprints of people in the system? not likely unless you are a past offender or work for law enforcement. if you run the extended database it could take days. department of sanitation? yeah right. animal services department handles this and is trying to pass it off to public works...

sorry, i feel like jumbie now...

Edited by spiffytee

spiffy - it's thrown me off, too - he can use work stuff for whatever personal thing he wants, and like you said, even remotely. you know what's stood out for me even more lately, though? his whole PD, they basically sit at their desks, go out to scenes once in a while, and more or less dip and take personal runs whenever they want..they don't patrol (are all of them detectives now?) and there's no accountability, you can just ignore your cell, show up to the scene after someone died and they just shake their heads at you. must be nice.

i'm thinking the whole section there is detective section. detectives get more freedom since they don't have to answer calls like uniform patrol do. they still have to fill out a time sheet showing where they are at and their times. the nice thing is they get a lot of freedom when it comes to what to wear and where to be (plus its a little easier to fudge a time sheet when dispatch aint involved).... but not answering your cell as a detective is bad news for you. and re this ep,

LT's don't do field work...

Edited by spiffytee

• 1 month later...

this season so far...i really didn't see it doing nearly as well as last, but Julia Styles really grows on you here; writers might be a dues ex factory but i do like how each season they find a new way/angle to have a character interact with Dex. preview for the next one looks crazy, i like that we're 5 seasons in and the cat-and-mouse game dex plays with his PD can still keep me on edge sometimes.

still felt like "TAKE IT" man instantly noticing oh what's this my locker's an eighth of an inch open and a cunthair of blood is missing MUST BE OL' DEX and LUMENS was too quick/convenient but looking back, i was forgiving of worse back when 24 was good.

PS why the fuck would lumen answer dex's phone, oh that's right, for the cliffhanger :2T:

goddammit i knew that dude was familiar as hell

Deb and Faketan i'm coming around to a bit more; with you on LaGuerta cause at this point it seems like you're just meant to hate her, at least Batista gets points even if i dont give a fuck about their plight.

Lumen is finding her niche for me, which is to say, she's not long for this world. and yeah, the villains are ok but mostly suffer from not being dude from 3rd rock.

Deb is fine as long as she's dropping the f-bomb and acting like a total slut, but Quinn on the other hand is starting to puss out for me. Damn, is Deb's cooch THAT good? Shit... she's been around the block more times than Nascar and tough guy Quinn is the one to fall for her? They're just setting this guy up for death.

I'm just gonna put this out there... after Dexter, Angel is my favorite character on the show (Masuka close 3rd). I don't like that he's been so bi-polar this season. LaGuerta has never done it for me, but I don't want to see her go either. I don't know. This season everyone seems so out of character. It's just not doing it for me like I think it should...

Edited by Panch

I just gotta say that this past episode (10) is probably the best one this season. While slow at first, it gradually heated up. I do have to agree with Panch that certain characters don't feel like themselves but the new ones like Lumen (Styles has been excellent) and Chase (to this point) have been played out really well.

**Sigh** I just sense tragedy ahead. This Dexter/Lumen Duo is not meant to be (Dexter fucked the girl...she will now die).

Let's hope this season ends with a bang like the last one. Two more episodes to go. :pinch:

Edited by Losifer

• 2 weeks later...

next episode is gonna be insane, even if i've learned by now they splice shit in the trailers to look way worse than it is.

still, sen thinks deb could find out that dex is on it and give a pass since she's been hinting that the nature of the crimes are so gruesome, she might think this is justified. i'm not so sure, but its obvious that even if the footage gets out, it wont have dex with his hand on the murder weapon at least.

robocop sure died/leaked all over quickly, though. shame, i was starting to like him.

ah, well although i was not right, lumen did leave, making the result the same when coming into the next season. just maybe a less violent or dramatic way to end things for the season. so all in all, this season was really slow and i think they could have done all of this in less episodes cause not much happened except for lt guerra pissing me off.

there was just no way to top last season. it was too perfect

oh and another side note: michael hall goes out with the actress that plays deb. so he's with his sister, but they broke up recently after being married for 2 years. wouldn't it be funny if he "upgraded" to julia styles? lol

Edited by spiffytee

i didn't know that, much make for a bit've tension at shooting time.

yeah, kinda told sen i thought lumen dying would be too obvious...but even i didn't expect the giant RESET BUTTON to be hit again. this show will continue to troll me for at least another season or two, it seems.

WONT ANYONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POOR ROBOCOPS god i wish his hand would've come up from the water for a split second while they were on the boat

• 1 month later...

FUCKING FINALLY got to finish this (thanks Jon)!

ah, well although i was not right, lumen did leave, making the result the same when coming into the next season. just maybe a less violent or dramatic way to end things for the season. so all in all, this season was really slow and i think they could have done all of this in less episodes cause not much happened except for lt guerra pissing me off.

there was just no way to top last season. it was too perfect

oh and another side note: michael hall goes out with the actress that plays deb. so he's with his sister, but they broke up recently after being married for 2 years. wouldn't it be funny if he "upgraded" to julia styles? lol

Co-signed that last season was perfect. Also, did you know that Michael C. Hall was married before Jennifer Carpenter? He split up with his ex conveniently during season one and married Deb right after. Heh. Your Julia Styles comment is both funny... and sad.

i didn't know that, much make for a bit've tension at shooting time.

No it won't... cause if it did... well let's just say, everyone would expect to start letting go of their emotional investment in her character. See, I already started!

yeah, kinda told sen i thought lumen dying would be too obvious...but even i didn't expect the giant RESET BUTTON to be hit again. this show will continue to troll me for at least another season or two, it seems.

WONT ANYONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POOR ROBOCOPS god i wish his hand would've come up from the water for a split second while they were on the boat

What the fuck did people expect to happen to Lumen? She got her closure! It was the perfect ending! Let me just say this... while it wasn't a perfect ending, the last two episodes saved the season for me.

Also, Robocop and Hackers dude were awesome!