Hondo's Bar

Clone Wars

Lycaon

'Star Wars' creator readies 'Clone Wars'

Thu Oct 5, 9:53 PM ET

The wars aren't over for "Star Wars" creator George Lucas. Lucas said Wednesday he's making an animated TV series of "Clone Wars" that could air next year, although he hasn't sold the show to a network yet. The series is set during the time when the Republic is fighting a civil war against separatists led by Count Dooku.

The mythic period hasn't been dealt with too much in the popular "Star Wars" movies, so "it's a fun place to go," Lucas said.

"It basically has all the main characters" such as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lucas said, but the stars who played them in the movies won't voice them for the TV show.

"There's nobody famous," Lucas told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

The show is planned as a continuation of the Emmy-winning "Clone Wars" that aired in 25 episodes on the Cartoon Network from 2003 to 2005. That series used limited animation. The new version will use 3-D computer graphics.

It's one of many projects being pursued by Lucas, including a fourth "Indiana Jones" movie.

"We're working on it. We haven't agreed on a script yet," Lucas said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061006/ap_en_tv/people_lucas

• 1 year later...

Seriously, is there that little interest generated by this project? I'll admit I was an unbeliever until I saw the trailer(admittedly with Crim, who reacts to anything Star Wars the way I'd react to Quinne Suicide(my unrequited love) squatting and leaking pristine beef tacos into my open mouth-shit that's a pretty mixed metaphor-I'm aiming for terrified joy), and then through wonderful serendipity got advance screening tickets for tonight. SO uhm, is anyone else interested or no? I trolled through 10 pages of threads to find one if it existed but apparently not.

Yes, this project has been received with lukewarm suspicion by most. I think the skepticism comes from the fact that this is almost the most commercially successful movie franchisee of all time (Harry Hotter pulled ahead with Order of the Phoenix), but by 2008 standards, the animation looks almost DIY (do it yourself), alot of those cut scenes look like an amatuer could have done them. The only source I could find for this movie's budget was here, and it says it was a $5M production budget, which I don't quite believe. So considering this movie covers the Clone Wars, one of the most mysterious and mythic part of the Star Wars canon, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that it's been done on the cheap, and I imagine this has something to do with it for other fans too.

I will probably end up seeing it, but I'm going in with the expectations I would have for an all Ewoks movie.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Caught the advance screening earlier on with Skeet and um not quite sure what to make of it. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. Had some pretty good battles in it, sufficiently held my attention for the best part of two hours and the Clone troopers were explored a little more fully but it had a metric fuck-tonne of plot discrepancies which I will spoiler tag where necessary.

Anakin gets a padawan (not a spoiler, its in the reviews I read). And a fucking annoying little bitch of one at that. Did I miss something or was Anakin still a padawan himself only days prior to the events portrayed in Ep 3? Seriously fill me because I'm not sure.

That and the fact she doesnt die or get written out of the story by the end of the movie. Did she rise to the level of full Jedi in the scarce months/years between CW and ROTS?

Jabba the Hutt has a kid apparently who we hear no mention of anywhere in the following movies (again not a spoiler cos it was in the review for all to see)

although hes a cute little bugger i'll give them that

. I realise Jabbas kid has no real consequence in the following movies but that shit is just obviously Lucas and co fucking with the canon to make their shit more marketable to the target audience that is the younglings (see what I did there eh eh?)

And finally:

No word scrolling thingy at the start of the movie! What. The. FUCK!!! They also changed the theme music slightly...fuckers.

I liked the first Clone Wars series just fine. This one, I don't care.

As far as the Do It Yourself graphics, it's because this movie is preceding a series. Doing quality graphics would mean that you'd have to do the series in quality graphics, and that's just a cost issue.

But seriously, I have zero interest in it. The clone wars, though long and rich and full of lore, is already long and rich and full of fucking lore. Any take on it will likely establish new lore and ignore the old, which isn't great.

But seriously, I have zero interest in it. The clone wars, though long and rich and full of lore, is already long and rich and full of fucking lore. Any take on it will likely establish new lore and ignore the old, which isn't great.

Yeah my thoughts pretty much to the letter.

The more I think of it though the more I think it shouldn't be taken as gospel because at its core it really was just intended for the kids. Albeit a kids film that gave a big, fat middle finger to the diehard fans. Maybe Lucas needed himself a new ivory backscratcher. This really should have gone straight to DVD.

Anakin gets a padawan (not a spoiler, its in the reviews I read). And a fucking annoying little bitch of one at that. Did I miss something or was Anakin still a padawan himself only days prior to the events portrayed in Ep 3? Seriously fill me because I'm not sure.

Anakin was already a Jedi Knight at the beginning of Episode 3, the "promotion" he got was to Jedi Master. It seems both Knights and Masters are independent of their masters and can take on padawans, so I'm not entirely clear on the distinction between two.

By the way. This should be in the animation section, because you bitches threw Wall-E there too. I do not know who specifically "you bitches are," but I'm fairly confident you'll know whether or not I'm directing it at you.

Edited by Maldron

I was able to rustle up some tix for DK for the advanced screening on Saturday...with his newfound extra fatherhood, he's a little busy, but I am sure he'll put in his review once he gets back on here.

My 4 year old nephew liked it, though.

Now that I am able to breathe... Here is my take.

First off let me say, that I am a huge Star Wars fan, "The Empire Strikes Back" is my favorite movie of all time. That should help to put this in perspective.

My 4 year old son enjoyed the movie immensely, which I must say brought some nostalgia back about seeing the first movies with my parents. But, sadly that is where the similarities end. This was a fun movie that I can take my son to, I enjoy mindlessly. That would be fine if this was "Shrek 3" but the problem is that is supposed to be a Star Wars movie. Now that I have had time to reflect on it. I now think it belongs with Star Wars projects along side "The Ewoks Adventure", "Droids", and "The Holiday Special". There are elements that remind you of Star Wars, but do not belong in the film catalog.

The opening crawl is not there, John Williams score is not there, it is replaced with some Hindi and Middle Eastern and Electric Guitar? music.

It's almost like Lucasfilm was not sure where this movie belonged either.

There are some things I liked, It was neat to see Asaj Ventress finally get on to the big screen,

although she is not as strong as I thought she would be, plus didn't she fall down a very deep hole on Yavin In the original Clone Wars

. Some of the action was good. There a great scene that shows why Obi Wan was called "The Negotiator". Anytime I can hear Christopher Lee on screen is good. The characters seemed like 3-D versions of the Gendy Taranoffsky's "Clone Wars" serials, which I think are brilliant and a lot fun. I liked Zero the Hutt for all the wrong reasons, this Truman Capote abomination is so horribly bad, though you cannot believe your eyes, and then you start thinking that Lucas has lost his mind, particularly when the movie director says that Lucas himself pushed for the characterization.

I am not sure why they even made this movie. If the original "Clone Wars" had done such a good job of extending the mythos of the Clone Wars, right up until the beginning of "Revenge of the Sith". Why did they shoe horn this little episode into the story, It would have worked great as a kick off episode to the new Star Wars animated show for Cartoon Network. It shows characters we all know, and does NOTHING to invigorate or deepen these characters. Everytime it approaches the level of scraping to another surface the movie drops it or blows something up on screen. And they introduce new characters and do not explain where they were for Episode III, huh?

Why do they keep rehashing the Clone Wars, they keep making heroes out of these soldiers that are going to become JEDI MURDERERS, Let me tell you this has already caused me a headache in trying to explain this to my son.

Besides if we are going make cartoon movies of Star Wars, why not make movies that takes place after Episode VI like "Heir To The Empire", "Dark Empire", "The Courtship of Princess Leia". Or even "Shadows of the Empire" which takes place between episodes 5 & 6. Any of those stories will extend Star Wars in new exciting ways on screen.

I always defended Episodes I,II, III I saw what Lucas was building in the first two episodes. Episode III is great. But, for the first time, I feel like this is Cash Grab.

So if you want to see average computer animation and need a little diversion you might want to see Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but if you are expecting a deep engaging movie avoid this one.

Edited by Dark Kaniggit

Quite true.

I keep hearing people ask why this movie was even made in the first place. I guess it hasn't been well advertised that, as Maldron mentioned, this is literally the pilot episode for a new television series. It was never really meant to be a standalone movie.

Why do they keep saying Ziro is a gay stereotype? He was meant to sound like Truman Capote, last I checked the only gay man that sounded like Truman Capote was Truman Capote. I have yet to meet a single other person who actually sounds like that: gay or straight.

I never said he was a gay stereotype, all I said was that he was a horribly bad train wreck of a character, the article I linked says that he is a gay stereotype. I was simply offering another perspective on the character.

If you read that article explicitly says that Lucas wanted this character to sound like Truman Capote, you cannot tell me that using such an iconic voice, is not going to lead several media outlets to the conclusion that the character plays to a stereotype, and personally, I believe filmmakers have the right to create any type of character they want, and viewers have the right to give whatever opinion they want.

All I know is my 4 year old son asked if a character introduced as Jabba's uncle was actually Jabba's mama.

I never said he was a gay stereotype, all I said was that he was a horribly bad train wreck of a character, the article I linked says that he is a gay stereotype. I was simply offering another perspective on the character.

If you read that article explicitly says that Lucas wanted this character to sound like Truman Capote, you cannot tell me that using such an iconic voice, is not going to lead several media outlets to the conclusion that the character plays to a stereotype, and personally, I believe filmmakers have the right to create any type of character they want, and viewers have the right to give whatever opinion they want.

All I know is my 4 year old son asked if a character introduced as Jabba's uncle was actually Jabba's mama.

I was referring to the article and the one I read on CHUD the other day. Truman Capote sounds like Truman Capote, nobody else sounds like that.

I was referring to the article and the one I read on CHUD the other day. Truman Capote sounds like Truman Capote, nobody else sounds like that.

That is certainly true. Honestly Ziro the Hut was only one of many problems I had with the film. I might almost recommend people to see this car wreck view the car wreck, it is unintentionally hilarious.

I keep hearing people ask why this movie was even made in the first place. I guess it hasn't been well advertised that, as Maldron mentioned, this is literally the pilot episode for a new television series. It was never really meant to be a standalone movie.

It certainly seems better suited to be a children's television show than a movie, the small screen hides the flaws better, but on the big screen the flaws are magnified.

It wasn't horrid, i mean it was marketed for kids, not die hard Star Wars fans, unfortunatley those people are the ones who reviewed the movie before it came out. The 'Ziro' charecter annoyed me, he screamed GAY!!! which is too bad.

I liked the clones, they were my favorite part. The animation was unique, it went from some charecters looking painted to others looking like clay...which I thought was neat.

it was fun, and my kiddo loved it, and I think it was pretty obvious that the movie was made for kids.

Edited by Dr.Girlfriend

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Ah, the sweet, pungent smell of nepotism:

Count Dooku visits the witches of Dathomir, seeking to replace Asajj Ventress with a new, deadlier apprentice. Little does he know that his new underling -- the formidable Savage Opress -- has been selected by Ventress herself, and that the Nightsisters have used their witchcraft to transform the warrior into a monstrous killer without remorse, compassion or loyalty. The second chapter of a three-part Clone Wars arc, "Monster" airs at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT Friday, January 14 on Cartoon Network, and begins streaming on StarWars.com Monday, January 17th for a limited time.

"I've really fallen for Ventress, and here the audience gets to learn a lot about her history. She's an extremely complicated character," says Katie Lucas, writer of the three-part Nightsisters arc. "She's a cold-hearted harpy, but she has good reason to be -- and now she's displaying a much more independent side of herself. Ventress is nobody's pawn anymore. She finally owns herself. I grew up on Buffy and Tank Girl, so writing for strong females is second nature to me. I listened to a lot of early Hole and The Distillers albums to inspire me while writing these stories; I really wanted to tap into that visceral female rage, and Courtney Love's snarl certainly tears that right out of you."

While Ventress has certainly asserted herself and assumed a more powerful role than ever before, "Monster" also introduces an all-new villain into the power struggle. A warrior from the same fearsome race that spawned Episode I's Darth Maul, Opress is bred and trained to serve -- but he is destined to become more powerful than even his masters had imagined.

"Savage is a lot like Frankenstein's creation," says Lucas. "He's a monster, but you get brief glimpses of a real heart beneath the surface. He's a complicated character -- I don't think he would have turned to the dark side without the manipulation of the witches. They use him."

Daughter of the acclaimed Star Wars creator, Lucas acknowledges her personal connections to that "galaxy far, far away," while still recognizing her writer's responsibility to speak to the quintessentially Earth-bound human experience.

"If I hadn't been raised in the Star Wars universe, I don't think there would be any way I could write sci-fi. It doesn't come naturally to me. I've had to adapt," she says. "Part of being a screenwriter is knowing how to entertain, and the other part is staying true to your own vision. I've always been inspired by the truths of our world, universal and personal, here in our reality, and I try to bring as much of that as I can to The Clone Wars."

...they're doing more of these? i loved the first season, even if i hate what Ep III followed it up with (mace windu goes from stromtrooper-slaying badass to punked by anakin, grevious goes from jedi-slaying badass to bitch-with-a-cold mode activated, etc)