Hondo's Bar

Clone Wars

Lycaon

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Finally finished all of the series...

188960_original.gif

Dude, that was a quality show. It just got better as the seasons went on. I can't begin to express how much I love the Clone Wars era of the Star Wars mythos. Of course, since I was a young fanboy - 'what the hell are the Clone Wars?' after that mention in ANH. The one period of Star Wars that George forbid the EU from ever touching - so it was even more...mysterious.

So glad it wasn't just that period between Episode 2 n' 3 that we never get to see.

That set up at the end of AoTC - 'begun, the Clone War, has...' Woo! The child in me was beaming! I was all over Clone Wars content as soon as it released - guide books, novels, comics, games...the animated micro-series...that period is such a fertile ground for high adventure and great stories. I mean, it so ripe.

maxresdefault.jpg

05005202a851822ad9433fb4be59dc76.jpg

When the show premiered - it pretty much dumped on and cannibalized what had been established up 'til that point, but to it's credit - it put it back together respectfully. I love how you can just throw on an episode (CW show) in any order - some episodes are 3 episode arcs, but each episode stands on it's own. Everything is just great: the production value is impressive and the visuals, fights n' stories are always engaging. Such a shame it just...ended.

As it got to the later seasons, I was really looking forward to - 'the final season'. They've always said the series would end w/ Order 66 and the final season would be - 'Order 66'. Man, after what RoTS was (understandably 'focused' on Anakin) - I felt the Star Wars mythos would benefit w/ Order 66 done as a proper epic...especially knowing the care and quality the CW team gave Star Wars.

What a waste. The series deserved a proper finale. LOL - maybe now you can understand my hyper-critical-ness of Rebels. Season 1 felt fast-tracked and the point / direction of the series just didn't feel fully developed / cooked. 'Clone Wars was cancelled for this?! OY!' LOL - But, I really am super-looking forward to Season 2. (clears throat)

I hear Darth Maul is gonna make an appearance...

3eb3f55089e2a26362faadd5627fdad7.jpg

Yeah, that last season was an attempt at closure - at least. I guess that was the closest they could get to adding some 'clarity' to some issues in regard to Order 66 / RoTS. Like, Sifo-Dyas - a glaring fucking plot-hole in that Prequel Trilogy. Glad they finally touched on that - 'officially'. Sucks it was during the show's death throes. Man, I felt that cancellation.

How long did it take you to finish all of 'em? Did you ever catch it during it's run? Ever see the traditionally-animated micro-series?

SWCWPCMACXL.jpg

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

I saw some of the micro-series, but it never took. Watched the new series, back when it started, but also had a hard time getting through it... until recently, I said, "fuck it," started from scratch again and forced (heh) my way through to the end, once-and-for-all. And what a journey it was.

And while the first couple seasons were tough to swallow, there really wasn't any bad episodes overall (sure, Jar Jar Binks centric eps and other corny eps came close, but I really had a great time throughout).

Fifth and sixth seasons really did it for me, though. Fucking fantastic stuff. I know you think the last season felt rushed, but I enjoyed it the most (Order 66 and Yoda eps were the highlight).

Seriously, the end was so bittersweet for me. Felt so great to have experienced it, but was sad that it was over.

I know you think the last season felt rushed, but I enjoyed it the most (Order 66 and Yoda eps were the highlight).

Nah, nah - it was Season 1 o' Rebels that felt rushed n' half-baked. The 'Lost Missons' I appreciated. They at least tried to wrap it up - w/ what they had. The team wasn't done yet - that sucks. Like how Frank Miller credits himself for giving Batman his balls back - I feel the same way about Clone Wars: it really put Star Wars back on track.

The EU / Star Wars is a very rich universe - great place for awesome stories of all degrees. Clone Wars nailed it.

• 9 months later...

Yeah - and Boba finally had his iconic armor. Filoni alluded to it being a mix of different Death Watch pieces in one of the Season's blu featurettes (I think Season 2). Never saw that Mandalorian bidness resolve...or Jango's origin revealed. The show insisted Jango wasn't a Mandalorian - he simply was a bounty hunter...no one knew how he got his hands on that silver Death Watch armor.

Was looking forward to that and the whole Sifo-Dyas issue to be expanded on. At least the Lost Missions gave us one of those stories. Crazy this scene had audio...kills me that they weren't done! LOL

I just watched the episode with young Boba and his gang of bounty hunters, and I feel like they could have had their own show.

That premise is gold. When Boba gets his solo flick - I hope we get to see all those classic bounty hunters actually used and developed. Together or against each other - a'la Shadows of the Empire...that's a gold mine.

1f7654bbbceaece9e0198c496b1678e7.jpg

Also, does anyone know what episode has the force users turning into animals in it?

I think that's the one w/ the crazy-ass family of like, mega-force users? The Mortis Trilogy - Season 3?

• 8 months later...

So I watched the first half of the first season. The Grievous stuff, some clone stuff. I liked it, but saw Jar Jar coming up and decided to just skip to season 2. Holy shit the quality jumps ahead miles. Cad Bane is fucking awesome, Ahsoka is a really fun character with a cool fighting style, and Anakin is actually likeable! The action is really exciting too. There was a zero gravity fight scene that was really creative and visually arresting. I had reservations on the graphics themselves at first, but it's all grown on me pretty quickly. Sticking with it mainly for the Darth Maul story though. 

• 6 months later...