Hondo's Bar

Tropic Thunder

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sir, i may not have actually seen the film, but i thought it was excellent, so that's the only logical reaction i can think of.

Well basically it's just a "Ooh, I know let's make a movie about gay cowboys so we'll be sure to get an Oscar." It's not really that good of a story but because it "took so many risks" and "bravely treaded where America just wasn't ready to go" or some flowery shit like that. Fact is that if the pairing had been male/female or even female/female the film would've been panned (case in point: Monster) Plus it had the most brutally disturbing sex scene since The Hills Have Eyes and not because it was 2 men I wouldn't have cared if it had been a man and a woman, that shit was neither beautiful nor titilating unless you're a sick fuck.

But I'll save most of my criticism as my blog's been dead so I'm planning on doing a 7 day series on overrated movies called "Get the fuck over yourself." Expect cameos by Brokeback Mountain, Titanic, Gladiator, Million Dolalr Baby, Full Metal Jacket, The Last Samurai, and Top Gun.

you could do a whole 7 days "get the fuck over yourself" on kubrick alone.

stop it.

i swear if youd finish Dr Strangelove, Kubrick'd go up a notch in your book. id put a dollar on it.

but yeah, baytor, if you poured your hate into such a segment, itd be interesting to see. take gaming: there's a mega-linking site that basically picks up shit from major sites and blogs and gives them tons of hits, n4g.com (worst place for batshit crazy rumors). half the links are top 10 overrated game lists with lofty rants and such - youve gotta figure there's such an outlet for movies, and im sure youd love having a flock of random apologists tear up your blog's comment section while hanging on your every hate-filed word.

What i've seen of kubrick,

Full Metal Jacket

2001: A space odyssey (this and FMJ are only things of his i could bring myself to watch again)

Clockwork orange

Spartacus

Lolita

The Killing

Dr Strangelove

Eyes Wide Shut

The Shining

Barry Lyndon

Killers kiss

I haven't watched one or two things of his, but i don't particularly want to.

and i'll encourage all i like

Kirk Lazarus was a total parody of Russell Crow.

I saw Brokeback mountain. Sat through the whole fucking piece of shit fucking thing.

What the fuck? Can two men not share a tender kiss? Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal were always halfway to beating the fuck out of each other any time they touched.

FUCK YOU ANG LEE!

But yeah, Tropic Thunder was hee-larious. :kotter:

What the fuck? Can two men not share a tender kiss? Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal were always halfway to beating the fuck out of each other any time they touched.

Exactly! They didn't make love, they raped the ever loving shit out of each other.

And yeah, I'm with Lindsay and DoJ. I love me some Dr. Strangelove but The Shining is the most hilarious horror movie I've seen this side of Plan 9 and I stop caring about Full Metal Jacket until Hartman dies and then don't start again until Paint it Black rolls at the end credits, 2001 is a snore-fest, and Clockwork Orange is a pretty damn good movie when it's not too busy being dull.

And Spartacus was good too.

I never saw Brokeback Mountain. My dad saw it, and he told me "I don't like chick flicks, so why would I like one if it had two guys instead of a guy and a girl? At least my money went to a movie that's pissing off religious conservatives." With that, I knew I could avoid the movie without regret.

I think it holds it own against movies like Braveheart and Gladiator, although it is admittedly gayer.

I only pray that it can hold my attention longer. My viewing of Braveheart went as so:

<Hey, a movie about William Wallace! I like William Wallace, let's watch it!>

<Opening>

<English people get stabbed>

<Boredom, hey Beavis and Butthead rerun!>

<Return to Braveheart: English people getting stabbed>

<Beavis and Butthead is over, now switch to documentary on String Theory>

<String theory is confusing, back to stabbing English people!>

<Wait, no English people being stabbed here, they're talking>

<I could give less of a fuck about any of this>

<Eh, I'll stick it out to the end at least.>

<Checking length of film...>

<JESUS MONKEY CHRIST!>

<Maybe it gets better sometime in the next 37 hours>

<OH MY GOD SO BORING! GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE SHOULD NOT BE THIS DULL!>

<Fuck this, I'm just going to go play the William Wallace campaign on Age of Empires 2>

And I watched Gladiator in my history class in 7th grade (You know, cause Gladiator is both historically accurate AND appropriote for 13-year-olds. I remember spacing out a lot and not caring.)

EDIT: There is no 17th grade, at least none I'm aware of.

And yeah, I'm with Lindsay and DoJ. I love me some Dr. Strangelove but The Shining is the most hilarious horror movie I've seen this side of Plan 9 and I stop caring about Full Metal Jacket until Hartman dies and then don't start again until Paint it Black rolls at the end credits, 2001 is a snore-fest, and Clockwork Orange is a pretty damn good movie when it's not too busy being dull.

Shining was great, Full Metal Jacket wasnt a bad vietnam flick, people just wanted it to stay dark comedy all the live long day. DoJ named most of the flicks ive seen, but Spartacus is fucking grand.

then again, if youre actually hating on Braveheart, ive nothing more to say. good day, sir. :kotter:

The Shining was just so overdone and melodramatic I found myself laughing when I wasn't getting pissed off about how Kubrick apparently hated everything but the vague idea of what the book was about. And Full Metal Jacket is a film that tries really hard to be thought provoking in an Apocalypse Now! or Platoon type of way but comes across as a movie about nothing that has a lot of really great one-liners and the manliest looking Vietnamese hooker ever featured on film.

As for Braveheart it's not really hate, just raging violent indifference.

Everybody goes "Braveheart, it was fucking great. My name is Joel and I love Ronald Reagan and Coca Cola."

Unlike movies such as Titanic which I actively wait upon rooftops with a high powered hunting rifle for that oh so rare moment when they might peek out the blinds, my reaction to Braveheart is a loud resounding "meh." I find it freakishly long and boring as well as a bit offensive to the actual William Wallace, but I don't hate it, I just don't care.

ok, what you said was fair up 'till the last line or so. i got to reading about wallace in the day, and moreso after the flick, and...seriously? dude killed his first englishman when he was like 14 or so. several texts show him wearing belts of ears and such; one specific one i had to import from stirling said he'd often wear their cocks as well. "noble savage" was only half right.

baffled by the offense taken to the historic figure, man.

Archived