Hondo's Bar

Lord, Save Us From Your Followers

Interesting place this is going. I'll side with Jax for this duel. Good people can be led astray, nothing better than blind faith in someone else's judgement, be it divine or territorial commonality to throw common sense out the window.

Let's see how quickly I can summarize my view. Though I don't favour religions per say due to their implicit path towards complacency, they are our oldest social infrastructure. Our dirt road towards Rome with no cement truck in sight.

How's that for the long and the short :ok:

No one here denies the obvious virtues of it. Arguments have been made that the "good" people would create the same proactive helper organizations without it. To imply that they wouldn't would mean they were either never really good to begin with or they are a bunch of self=interested bastards looking out for a quick fix towards salvation.

Agnostics and atheists tend to pride themselves when dealing with moral issues because though they share the same "good" views as any deist, no one is forcing their hand with looming threats of afterlife. Some religions also promote man to be morally self-sufficient, thus our beef lies with the popular, narcissistic, biblical, triomni god of televangical infamy.

This isn't about any god at all. It's about how pop culture provides us with religions that castrate our ability to decide for ourselves. Homo Sapiens is a social creature, who yearns for belonging at almost any cost.

I did it because my Mom told me so .....

see ISOLATED PROGRAMMING.

I did it because Mr. Important told me so....

see CULT

I did it because the Government told me so...

see XTREME NATIONALISM

I did it because God told me so....

see BIG RELIGION

People are more than willing to pass the buck of responsibility off when the situation arises because that's what we DO! It's normal. The thing is, when institutions take advantage or our following nature, by putting an insane driver at the helm, it's passengers will never know until it's too late. Everyone's on the bus, moving forward having a gay 'ol time.... pay no attention to the bloodspatter on the windows or the spinning horizon line.

Surely there must be measures to protect us from this horrible possibility. Well, usually there are. Avoiding home-schooling and being active in your community can provide a buffer against oppressive parenting. Formal education can protect against cult mentality ( unless earth isn't really round? oh noes ) We can thank freedom of speech and freedom of congregation to avoid believing the government knows what they are doing. lol (see North Korea) Unfortunately, there really isn't anything that can be done to avoid religious extremism and oppression. Not without encroaching upon loads of other freedoms.

We have the right to chose our own moral power of attorney. The right to all pop-up ads to advertise attorney services with only a strong parental upbringing to protect us. Just so you know, strong parenting, is globally outgoing fad. Watch that pendulum swing.

We get what we want, not what we need.

We can't even abolish the penny lol.

Gotta check out this movie...

• 5 months later...
People are more than willing to pass the buck of responsibility off when the situation arises because that's what we DO! It's normal.

and it still would have happened regardless.

Jax, what you don't realize is that the persecution of jews in Germany (for example) and the 'Jewish Question' predated Hitler by at least a century, and many of Hitler's tactics and ideals were born well before Germany was fully unified.

So, again, nationalism was the excuse, not the perp.

There's always going to be distinguishing characteristics between cultures. people naturally classify and segregate themselves. You're views on this, in historical contexts, are very myopic.

Archived