Hondo's Bar

Ghostbusters (2016)

Finally!

Sony Pictures has hired "The Office" co-executive producers to pen a script for a third "Ghostbusters" film reports the trades.

Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky will pen the script which is designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson.

Eisenberg and Stupnitsky just wrote the comedy "The Year One" which Ramis directed. No deals will be made with the original cast until the script is ready.

Ramis with Aykroyd wrote and Ivan Reitman directed the first two films released in 1984 and 1989 respectively.

The news comes just a few days after Aykroyd revealed in an interview with E! News that "two sharp young writers are purported to be writing the sequel" - and that he'd love to get Seth Rogen and Judd Apatow involved.

Now we just need to go out into the woods and put an Oscar on a net so we can snare Bill Murray.

seriously.

then again, he did agree to voiceover the game, which i was impressed by. i love murray, so very much...even recent shit like coffee & cigarettes, life aquatic etc, he's brilliant.

anyway, the game got pushed back till next year, supposedly to coincide with a 20 (25?) year anniversary. im thinking this might try to capitalize on that, and ill be all about it.

I fondly remember Extreme Ghostbusters, one of the few true sequels to an 1980s cartoon that realistically depicts the passage of time; everything else out there was a relaunch. I always thought the show was perfect material for the next live-action movie.

You mean having Egon train a "next generation" of Ghostbusters? I heard that was actually part of Akroyd's pitch when he wanted to make another one in the 90s. No idea if it'll be in this one.

One of my greatest TV experiences was watching the Extreme Ghostbusters 2 part Series Finale Episodes titled "Back in the Saddle" or something like that, where the other three original ghostbusters came from out of town for Egon's birthday. Freaking Awesome, I also forgot how classy the intro was:

The world trade center towers being eaten was a little creepy, also I remember more cripple jokes, I know one was blatantly cut. Damn good show for it's time.

The closing theme is also pretty cool.

I am so psyched about it. I been waiting for this for years! I even know the perfect teaser trailer for it too:

"In 1984, they saved the city from evil..."

"In 1989, they saved the city from evil again..."

"Evil is looming once again..."

*Ghostbusters theme intro starts playing at this time*

"Who you gonna call?"

Ta, ta, ta, ta, tatatatatatatata...

*Ghostbusters logo similar to GB2, but holding 3 fingers up*

gb3.gif

"Bustin' back Summer 2010"

"In 1984, they saved the city from evil..."

"In 1989, they saved the city from evil again..."

"Evil is looming once again..."

That...that's just like the trailer for Scorcher VI!

"Here we go again... again!"

One of my greatest TV experiences was watching the Extreme Ghostbusters 2 part Series Finale Episodes titled "Back in the Saddle" or something like that, where the other three original ghostbusters came from out of town for Egon's birthday.

Pretty cool but I just can't get behind an animated Peter Venkman that isn't voiced by Lorenzo Music.

Edited by Silent Bob

Pretty cool but I just can't get behind an animated Peter Venkman that isn't voiced by Lorenzo Music.

Well seeing as Lorenzo fucked off before Real Ghostbusters even ended one can't really blame Dave Coulier for reprising the role he played for the latter part of the series.

Also: Did anybody ever find it ironic that Lorenzo Music was the voice of the animated Peter Venkman and Garfield and Bill Murray played the movie versions of Peter Venkman and Garfield?

Well seeing as Lorenzo fucked off before Real Ghostbusters even ended one can't really blame Dave Coulier for reprising the role he played for the latter part of the series.

Actually I've heard he was booted from the show because Murray wasn't fond of his voice (Murray didn't like that Venkman sounded like Garfield...how's that for irony). He was only the voice of Venkman for the first season but for some reason, anytime I think back on that series, his is the only voice I hear.

Also: Did anybody ever find it ironic that Lorenzo Music was the voice of the animated Peter Venkman and Garfield and Bill Murray played the movie versions of Peter Venkman and Garfield?

Much like the lyrics of the Alanis Morissette song, 'Ironic', that is not ironic.

Actually I've heard he was booted from the show because Murray wasn't fond of his voice (Murray didn't like that Venkman sounded like Garfield...how's that for irony).

Much like it is ironic that the fact that a song called 'Ironic' has no ironic lyrics, that is ironic.

Much like the lyrics of the Alanis Morissette song, 'Ironic', that is not ironic.

i·ro·ny1 /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun, plural -nies.

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

2. Literature.

a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.

b. (esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

3. Socratic irony.

4. dramatic irony.

5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

6. the incongruity of this.

7. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.

8. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

How is it not? Nobody expected it (much like the spanish inquistion)

Yes, the first thing about how Mr Music playing two animated TV characters and that Mr Murray played the same two characters in live action theatrical film versions, is a coincidence. It was perhaps not EXPECTED, but it is not contrary to how we expect things should happen, logically. It is in fact intuitive because they have similar voices. The fact that Mr Murray would be upset that his animated counterpart sounded too much like Garfield to portray him, but he felt he sounded enough like Garfield to portray Garfield, that is irony, because it is counter-intuitive.

Also, I am serving any GB3 (that rhymes..Gee Bee Three) excitement for when we get a confirmation. Studios commission scripts for sequels to successful franchises all the time. Plenty of those scripts never get made.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Well yes but Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, and Harold Ramis are all famous for other things and won't forever be known as "that black guy from Ghostbusters."

Hey now, I know him as "That Black guy in a tie in Oz".

But yeah since that got cancelled and he's like, the only Oz cast member who's not on a Law & Order series now, yeah he could use the work.