Hondo's Bar

Ghostbusters (2016)

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :2T:

Any word on Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson?

Yes the 3 people whose careers have sunk so low that their last great appearances were in Celtic Pride, Orange County, and Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror respectively are going to go "Phooey and pshaw to your fat stacks of cash, we have integrity god dammit. We're going to go back to making obscure cameos in movies that make people go "Hey, it's that guy!"

I'd say everybody but Rick Moranis is a shoe-in, you've got a better chance of Bill Watterson coming out of retirment than getting Rick Moranis to ever do another movie.

I'd say everybody but Rick Moranis is a shoe-in, you've got a better chance of Bill Watterson coming out of retirment than getting Rick Moranis to ever do another movie.

Maybe if the paycheck was big enough. Even someone like him could stand for some extra cash!

Yeah, everyone but Weaver and Moranis are planning to come back. Even Annie Potts is planning to come back, last I heard. And yeah, Murray has said it'd be cool to get a female Ghostbuster but that was just him hypothesizing, the script is out of his hands.

Since his recent divorce, Murray looks like he's determined to get back to working a lot again like he used to. Of the big four, he seems the most excited about another Ghostbusters right now.

• 11 months later...

it (maybe) back on?

“For the first time,” said the director and producer of the first two movies. “Possibilities are more positive than negative. Before we needed some twist to be able to make it, now if there isn’t any other major change we will do it”.

“It’s never easy to bring all these people to an agreement on something” says the director, but now there’s a script, a definitive one, complete and approved.

- Ivan Reitman

more here

This summer it was announced that Ghostbusters 3 was definitely a go, and the Internet was buzzing with excitement. You directed a number of The Office episodes, which Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg wrote. Did that have anything to do with getting the ball rolling on this long gestating sequel?

Harold Ramis: Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg also co-wrote Year One, and the studio was really impressed with their work. They also worked on another film that the studio just bought. They are good at what they do. Gene has been a protégé of mine since college, and Lee was a waiter I met at Martha's Vineyard. They both started as interns and production assistants at Sony. I virtually read everything they had written up until they got their jobs on The Office. It has been a nice relationship. The studio didn't only think they were good, but they thought there was a convenient link to Ghostbusters 3 through me.

Why do you feel, at this date and time, it's so important to revisit Ghostbusters? Is it purely financial, or do you truly feel you can push these characters in a new and exciting direction that we haven't seen before?

Harold Ramis: It's Dan Aykroyd. He has been keeping this idea alive. This is his original concept, and he's wanted to do this for a while. He even wrote a spec script years ago. The twenty-fifth anniversary came, we had the new Blu-ray, and the videogame release, and people still seem so very excited about this movie. The response from the game was tremendous. Everywhere I went, people were asking about it. I thought, why not? Why can't there be a Ghostbusters 3? I have to remind people that they didn't like Ghostbusters 2 very much. But they still seem to want a third one. Finally, Murray said yes. I thought, "Well, we have a good script. Why not?" Ivan Reitman said yes. It came be done. It can happen.

Can you share anything about Dr. Egon's life in 2012? Is he having a hard time dealing with the effects of the Mayan Calendar? Has he found love? Does he have a kid?

Harold Ramis: I had two initial first instincts. One was that Egon had become a shaved head Buddhist monk. That is not going to happen. The thing that I pitched for my character is that he's been living in Geneva, and he works for the Institute of Imaginary Science. The work we are doing doesn't require any conceptual, intellectual, special, or mathematical models for what we are doing. Even we don't know what we are doing. It's that theoretical.

The film is listed as coming out in 2012. Is it going to deal with the Mayan calendar and the end of the world?

Harold Ramis: That is pure speculation. We are not going to do that.

Who would you like to see as the new Ghostbusters? Are you eyeing any potential new talent?

Harold Ramis: Every young actor will be mentioned. No one is signed or has been approached.

The end of the first one is so legendary, how hard is it to top that, or are you even concerned about that?

Harold Ramis: I think we are just going to try and make a good movie. The intention of a sequel is not to give an audience more of what they didn't get enough of the first time. It's to give the audience something that is new. We want them to feel that they are having a new experience of some kind. That becomes a tightrope. Yeah, we definitely are introducing new Ghostbusters. That much is for sure. And there will be inter-dimensional creatures visiting New York. And we will deal with it. That's all I am allowed to say at this point.

and here

I've been sitting on this news for a few days now as I can't seem to figure out what's new at this point. So I figured I'd just throw it out there and see how it goes. Why not, right? Anyways, I have straight up confirmed, 100%, without a shadow of a doubt that Ivan Reitman, director of Ghost Busters and Ghostbusters II, is in fact attached to get behind the camera for Ghostbusters 3. While he's attached, the word is that he hasn't decided whether or not he really wants to direct, yet. So, yeah, is that news? But here's a little something else we conjured up. Apparently, the sequel takes place when the paranormal researchers "reopen" their ghost removal service after it has been closed for quite a few years. As previously reported, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver have all confirmed their involvement (in various interviews on the web).

This is how it's looking for GB3 for now:

---Castwise---

Bill Murray as Peter Venkman - CONFIRMED

Dan Aykroid as Ray Stantz - CONFIRMED

Harold Ramis as Egon Spengler - CONFIRMED

Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddmore - CONFIRMED

Annie Potts as Janine the Secretary - RUMORED CONFIRMED

Rick Moranis as Louis - RUMORED CONFIRMED

Sigourney Weaver - UNCERTAIN

---Director---

Harold Ramis is reportedly the frontrunner to Direct, but Ivan Reitman is attached to the movie, but whether he will Direct or not is uncertain.

• 1 month later...

Both of those rumors have been floating around for ages. Recall that Sigourney is about as out of the loop as we are, she was the one who suggested the Oscar idea in the first place. Admittedly this could all be true, but I'm holding onto the hope that something that stupid will never come to pass.

• 7 months later...

sorry baytor; reality is unkind.

When Sigourney Weaver was traveling the world promoting Avatar, she dropped a possible big spoiler about Bill Murray's character in Ghostbusters 3. Many doubted what she said, but it looks like she was right on the money as Murray said the exact same thing to Mail Online.

The following contains spoilers you may not want to know before you see the movie.

In the December interview, Weaver said: "I know that my little son, Oscar – who was kidnapped from me – I think he has grown up to be a ghostbuster," adding, "I might be in it and I see nothing wrong with being in it, although I don't think I will have a big part in it. I think Bill Murray has a little more to do with it -

he might be a ghost."

And in the new interview, Murray says: "I'll come back in Ghostbusters III only if

I get to be a ghost. I said to them, 'I'll do it if you kill me off in the first reel.' So now they are going to have me as a ghost in the film."

75342-Yet_another_Picard_facepalm.jpg

that was february, though...so let's catch up.

According to New York Magazine's Vulture, the division lies in Columbia's desire to have a hot young director take over the third film in the series. But Reitman has a decades-old deal in place that gives him creative control over the films, including director approval. As the site puts it, "While it's true that Reitman can't force Columbia to make Ghostbusters 3 with him, he can make it nearly impossible for the studio to make the film without him."

The second draft of the new film's script (by The Office writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky) is in progress right now and due in May. Columbia apparently was hoping that if Reitman became busy with another project -- like his just green-lit Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman comedy Friends with Benefits (previously known as Fuckbuddies -- he'd let someone else take over on Ghostbusters. That doesn't look to be happening, however.

"Insiders familiar with Reitman's plans say he thinks the two comedies are not mutually exclusive, and still plans to direct both, raising serious questions about whether Sony will want to proceed with Ghostbusters 3 at all," says the site. "However, losing Ghostbusters would make a tough 2011 even tougher, as the studio has no other franchise blockbuster scheduled."

ok, so, Reitman: good so far.

Recent GQ interview

GQ: Is the third Ghostbusters movie happening? What's the story with that?

Murray: It's all a bunch of crock. It's a crock. There was a story—and I gotta be careful here, I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. When I hurt someone's feelings, I really want to hurt them. [laughs] Harold Ramis said, Oh, I've got these guys, they write on The Office, and they're really funny. They're going to write the next Ghostbusters. And they had just written this movie that he had directed.

Year One.

Year One. Well, I never went to see Year One, but people who did, including other Ghostbusters, said it was one of the worst things they had ever seen in their lives. So that dream just vaporized. That was gone. But it's the studio that really wants this thing. It's a franchise. It's a franchise, and they made a whole lot of money on Ghostbusters.

Oh, sure, I remember. The soundtrack. The lunchboxes. The action figures.

Right. And it's still one of the biggest movies of all time. And ever since that story broke, everywhere I go people are like, "So are you gonna make that movie?" I was down in Austin at South by Southwest, and you go at it hard down there—fun but, man, you need to sleep for days afterwards. Anyhow, I got into it one night with a bunch of younger people who were like, Oh, I love Peter Venkman! I grew up with Peter Venkman! We got to talking, and the more we talked about it, the more I thought, Oh Christ, I should just do this thing.

A generation awaits, for sure. You weren't even supposed to play that role, right?

Yeah. Originally it was Belushi. Like a lot of my movies. [beat] God, John died, what was it, twenty-five years ago?

he's echoing most of what i've heard on Year One. and yeah, i love his constant indifference.

• 1 month later...
New 'Ghostbusters 3' Script Details Reveal Big Plans for Baby Oscar

oscarsm.jpg

21 years ago, he was short, his belly button stuck out too far and he was a terrible burden on his mother. Now, baby Oscar is of age and definitely becoming a Ghostbuster, according to Bloody Disgusting. We've expected this, and Sigourney Weaver hoped for it to be so, but the latest rumors on Ghostbusters 3 confirm (?) Dana Barett's son will strap on a proton pack as one of the next generation team. But here's a rather surprising piece of the news:

Oscar will be revealed to be Bill Murray/Peter Venkman's kid after all.

Is that possible? I guess it was never said how long it'd been since Peter and Dana stopped seeing each other. And there's barely much mention of who Oscar's father is (presumably the violinist she's dating in the first movie, named "Andre Wallance" in the novelization). Still, it's kind of a forced-on fact, and I do believe either Peter would have been more suspicious or Egon and Ray would have found out through some DNA test done while thoroughly investigating the kid.

BD recognizes the similarity to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but of course there's also Superman Returns. And Tron: Legacy. Is the only idea for late-comer sequels to have an offspring and torch-passing plot? Does Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps fit, too? Well, if they must, I'd like to see Homer Murray play Oscar. It'll never happen (for one thing he's not an actor), but it would be a fun to use the resemblance as a signal to the audience before it's revealed to the character -- Homer was employed in a similar way for Broken Flowers, though in far less capacity. I presume Jonah Hill will get the part instead.

Also mentioned in this update are claims that both Weaver and Rick Moranis will be returning, the latter agreeing to come out of retirement to reprise his role, despite his unwillingness to voice the character for the Ghostbusters video game a few years back. I really hope it's true. We all miss the guy a lot, right?

rickmoranis040709.jpg

michael-cera_l.jpg

My pick for Oscar.

Edited by Panch

i wanna agree with panch here, but baytor would have to raise an army of haters to do what bill murray's capable of solo just holding a burboun and fielding interview questions. seriously, he's the best case for this not happening i can think of, and i still kind've want it.

i wanna agree with panch here, but baytor would have to raise an army of haters to do what bill murray's capable of solo just holding a burboun and fielding interview questions. seriously, he's the best case for this not happening i can think of, and i still kind've want it.

Murray says what he wants when he wants and there is no rhyme or reason. You gotta take everything that guy says with a grain of salt. He's always 'on' when it comes to the comedy. Answering questions to stupid magazines is no difference. He likes to make fools of people while acting like one himself. He's a genius.

• 1 month later...