Hondo's Bar

Ghostbusters (2016)

It was pretty much all Ramis', I've read Akroyd's script and it doesn't bear much resemblance at all to the finished film. It's still a badass script but Dan Akroyd is the Bob Kane to Harold Ramis' Bill Finger here. I do hope they involve him in some way if they are planning on making this "in continuity" with the other two. I want some combination of the following actresses:

Kate McKinnon

Nasim Pedrad

Kristin Schaal

Aisha Tyler

Rashida Jones

Maya Rudolph

Melissa McCarthy (Almost undoubtedly a lock)

Judy Greer

Aubrey Plaza - BUT ONLY IF THEY CAN WRITE TO HER STRENGTHS

• 4 weeks later...

Damn.

I'm going to admit, I just watched Ghostbusters for the first time about a month ago. And going into it I was of the "it's a four man show mind". And I really dig Ernie Hudson, so I'm watching the movie... watching the movie. And I'm just thinking to myself "where the fuck is Ernie Hudson at?" I had always thought he was there at the beginning myself. I never knew he showed up halfway through the movie, and then as I'm watching the rest of it, it felt obvious he got shafted somehow. That article pretty much confirms that.I still haven't seen the second movie.

Damn.

I'm going to admit, I just watched Ghostbusters for the first time about a month ago....

@.@

You poor bastard. I don't even...

Who are these horrible, horrible parents that allowed you to go through childhood without having seen Ghostbusters!?!? My nephew is seven and he's seen it twice already. And iIm not trying to blame the victim here, but I am genuinely curious as to why you waited so long to finally watch it?

I honestly don't know. I probably saw it as a kid, but I don't remember. It's one of those huge movies you just kinda feel like you've seen after watching clips over the years. I"m glad to have finally watched it properly though.

Back to the Future is a similar story

• 2 weeks later...

RUMOR: This is what Ghostbusters 3 almost became, according to Bloody-Digusting.com

Bloody-Digusting has yet to verify this document, dated April 2009 and tagged "Second Draft" is in fact what The Office writers Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg were working on before the decision was made to reboot Ghostbusters with Paul Feig.

They do say that it reads like the real deal, and the details within line up with things that were being rumored/leaked when the project was still a go all those years ago. Seeing as it's been abandoned for the new reboot, none of what follows are spoilers, but if you'd like a peek into the alternate future/past of Ghostbusters, here you go

Some key details:

Peter Venkman is Mayor of New York City, Janine is his secretary

The Ghostbusters are a publicly traded corporation.

The new CEO of Ghostbusters, INC keeps Slimer in a clear glass containment unit as a trophy.

Ray and Egon are flunkies in their own corporation. Winston is a mechanic.

The two villains are Slenderman and Cthulhu.*

Egon, Ray, and Venkman have to cross the streams (with new, kitbashed proton packs via Egon) to save the world. They do not survive this time.

*They're not ACTUALLY Slenderman & Cthulhu - but close enough for quick descriptive purposes. Read the link.

edit: The Ghostbusters have actually fought Cthulhu once before, in the animated "The Real Ghostbusters" series.

• 3 months later...

Sony putting together another (male-centric) GHOSTBUSTERS film by Russo bros.

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is broadening the Ghostbusters franchise and the first order of business will be a male-driven action-centric comedy that is a counterpart to the Paul Feig-directed film that will start production in June. The studio is simultaneously forming Ghostcorps, a new production company whose principals include original Ghostbusters architects Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd; they will have offices at Sony with the mission to scare up branding opportunities based on the 1984 comedy classic.

Reitman is putting the male-driven film with a powerhouse brain trust: Captain America: The Winter Soldier helmers Joe and Anthony Russo, who just made a first-look Sony deal and are looking to direct and produce this; Drew Pearce, the Iron Man 3 and Mission: Impossible 5 scribe who’ll write; and Channing Tatum and his partners Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan, who are attached to produce. The hope is for Tatum to play one of the Ghostbusters in this film. Given his versatility and franchising success in 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike, he’s a good cornerstone to launch another Ghostbusters series.

The-Real-Ghostbusters-post.jpg

...is this a reaction to some of the backlash the all-female one caught? hard to get excited here

hqdefault.jpg

Okay, have ANY of the official statements confirmed that this will be male-centric? All I can find from Sony/Akroyd/Retiman/etc. are talks about "expanding the franchise" and "building on Feig's movie" and "accomplishing Akroyd's original dream for the franchise." I'm seeing pretty much everyone inferring that, but no-where do I see that its implied this will be male-centric for any other reason than that it will not star Feig's Ghostbusters and since it isn't that movie it won't be fem-centric like pretty much all other movies.

• 3 months later...

'Ghostbusters' reboot starts filming in Boston this week

Don’t say we told you this because nobody’s supposed to know. But we’ve got some of the details of the super-secret script for the “Ghostbusters” reboot that starts filming in Boston this week.

As you know, the all-gal ghostbusters in the new flick are played by Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones and according to our script spies, Wiig and McCarthy play a pair of unheralded authors who write a book positing that ghosts are real. Flash forward a few years and Wiig lands a prestigious teaching position at Columbia U. (Like the original, the story takes place in New York City, even though it’s being shot in Boston.) Which is pretty sweet, until her book resurfaces and she is laughed out of academia.

Wiig reunites with McCarthy and the other two proton pack-packing phantom wranglers, and she gets some sweet revenge when ghosts invade Manhattan and she and her team have to save the world.

IMG_0682.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks like a live-action version of The Real and Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon series. I love them both, I got the firehouse box set.

After Ramis died, I knew the classic series was dead too. The only way it could continue was if the surviving cast passed the baton, but even then - it wouldn't star the "classic" cast. It would be starring new blood.

A total reboot is still hard to swallow. I feel they needed the aged classic Ghostbusters passing the torch, to ensure the older fans were onboard. Y'know? The ones screaming for a sequel? Discarding the established world and telling fans that wasn't worth continuing - I feel bad for Aykroyd. Dana's son Oscar as a Ghostbuster is a great starting point. After the backlash this reboot got, I hear they're doing just that with another film series. Weird.

again, i'm okay with/kinda excited about this; just not sure why the reboot, when even the comic (which is great and ya'll should read it) establishes the need for franchises

still gonna stay open minded about this one & give it a shot