Hondo's Bar

Dances With Wolves 2

Acalis

Yep it's official, there are plans for a sequel to the Kevin Costner Native-American classic "Dances With Wolves". It's gonna be called "The Holy Road". Haven't been able to find much info about it, and even though imdb.com has a page for it, it's only available for viewing by those who have registered with IMDBPro. From what I could find (mostly from http://www.cinematical.com/2007/11/01/fina...-with-wolves-2/), Kevin Costner will NOT reprise his role as John Dunbar/Dances With Wolves. Instead Viggo Mortensen will be cast in that role. Also I believe Mary McDonnell and Grahan Greene from the first movie will be reprising their roles. It's slated for release sometime in 2009.

Find out more about it here.

So.... why am I supposed to be excited about this? Dances With Wolves seemed pretty self-contained, and while I am one of Kevin Costner's biggest haters (excluding his work in Mr. Brooks) I don't really see the point of making a sequel without him. When a sequel is made with another actor replacing a role, especially a main role it's always awkward and you spend the entire movie trying to get used to the new guy and it never really happens. (Mummy 3, anyone?)

It's the 3rd unless you count The Scorpion King which most people don't. Tomb of the Dragon Emperor replaced Rachel Weisz with Maria Bello.

Interesting enough, The Rock got replaced too! There was a Scorpion King 2 made recently. It didn't make it to the theaters it went straight to DVD.

scorpion-2.jpg

Was it really THAT bad?

I just cover my eyes and hold my breath and run by that one every time I see it on the DVD shelf, I tell myself we live in a sane world and that thing can't POSSIBLY exist.

And yes, it was that bad, you'll recall that this was the part in The Rock's career where they were banking almost entirely on his "sweet moves." And every movie he was in had/was an elaborate fight scene.

A second Dances with Wolves?? Why? Honestly, the first was movie enough. It didn't really leave any loose ends. I mean...it wouldn't be terrible to see Dances With Wolves whip some calvary ass, but that's not something to make a movie of. I really don't see the purpose. And while I do enjoy Viggo Mortensen, I don't think he should do this. Mainly on principle. It was originally Costner's role and should stay that way even though upon reflection, Viggo would have been awesome in the original.

Not the same writer. And considering Costner directed Dances, I imagine not the same director either.

Interesting enough, The Rock got replaced too! There was a Scorpion King 2 made recently. It didn't make it to the theaters it went straight to DVD.

Technically, that was a prequel about a younger Scorpion King (the main character is actually the little tiny guy in the front of the box cover) so it made sense to recast. But yeah, I imagine it was crap.

A second Dances with Wolves?? Why? Honestly, the first was movie enough. It didn't really leave any loose ends. I mean...it wouldn't be terrible to see Dances With Wolves whip some calvary ass, but that's not something to make a movie of. I really don't see the purpose. And while I do enjoy Viggo Mortensen, I don't think he should do this. Mainly on principle. It was originally Costner's role and should stay that way even though upon reflection, Viggo would have been awesome in the original.

Interestingly enough, before Kevin Costner was cast as Dances with Wolves, Viggo Mortensen was the original choice for the role, but either turned it down, or it was decided Costner would be better.

Interestingly enough, before Kevin Costner was cast as Dances with Wolves, Viggo Mortensen was the original choice for the role, but either turned it down, or it was decided Costner would be better.

That's a shame, maybe the latter half of the film wouldn't have been so mind-numbingly boring.

Archived