Hondo's Bar

Dead Space

The NZA

Sorry to get o/t. Pretty sure we're not getting this til the end of the month and I'm almost inclined to preoder just for the prequel DVD(curiousity). I've culled most've the planned games off my list so my budget's opened up slightly.

PS- when he sent out a bulletin requesting a 2nd hand PDA or somesuch because his Nokia pooped, I offered him my $1100 sidekick free of charge and got no reply. Paper covers rock.

Edited by Skeeter

really? what games did you drop?

the DVD, id download honestly. im thinking its the animated comics (which are free on XBL) and if im right, theyre not all that well done. Metal Gear Solid had an awesome animated comic on PSP, this one - from what ive watched of it - just didnt transfer as good. I hope im wrong, there might be more to it.

wait, nevermind, im totally off: Dead Space: Downfall is an entirely different animated thing and looks cool. shut my mouth.

Exactly. I can't see the clip you've posted there but it looks like the sorta thing i'd check out game irrespective.

Dropped Far Cry 2, Fable 2, looking to maybe drop GoW2 because damnit, the New Prince looks promising and then there's Mirror's Edge on the 13th.

wow, never thought youd drop Gears 2. Was Fable 2 cause of the crappy LE or wha?

Havent even watched the trailer for new Prince of Persia, guessing i should.

What Mal Said. Yeah, the most imperitive part of GoW2 was the social aspect as Tom(Mothman) is gay as toucan sam for the series so we were gonna plough on through on release day, but I says fuck that. I Want PoP & ME. I'm taking the 1st week of December off to catch up on my gaming, and I may just wipe out all my overdues at Blockbuster so I can check Dead Space out.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it this week, awesome new horror IP.

its clearly taking its atmosphere/plot elements from Event Horizon, and monster design from Carpenter's The Thing. Throw in some Half Life physics and a combat system reminiscent of Resident Evil 4, and the game's a winner taking from a lot of good things.

Its very much more RE than Silent Hill horror, mind you: there's times you'll think the game's trying to take the random pop-up scare crown from Dino Crisis. For the most part, though, even though each stage is a variant fetch-quest, the layout/level design is solid, and even when revisiting areas, its spooky and keeps you on the edge of your seat. You go from scarily strobe-lighted rooms to darkness making you wish you were back there. The bosses are fun , though the final one (at least on normal) is definitely easy once you get to that part. Sidequests & mini-games were a mixed bag for me, i kinda skipped through them largely, but i could see them being fun. The puzzles - zero-G gravity zones, sometimes with a limited air count, kept you on your toes, and also felt cool and well thought out.

The plot, however, is usually the selling point (for me) in horror titles, and this one kept you going most of the way through. Youll catch the twist about 3/4 through, but its still creepy. Even the ending was very horror movie-esque, without giving anything away.

My only gripe'd be - and this might be my fault for forcing myself 10+ through to see the game's end before having to take it back - is that the last stage or so really gave up on a lot of the game's earlier strengths and just turned into dumping repetitive wave after wave of the same enemies, which really pushes the game more into action genre than horror (something some'd complained about with RE4 as well).

Overall, great game. That platinum trophy wont come anytime soon, though. I hear the Impossible difficulty is aptly named.

51tOlzvC3SL._SS500_.jpg

So I got around to seeing Dead Space: Downfall and I must say, I'm intrigued. I think I will pick this game up right after LittleBigPlanet (and right after I have some spending money). Reading all these 'rave reviews' about it, I may not regret my purchase. Anyone else see it?

51tOlzvC3SL._SS500_.jpg

So I got around to seeing Dead Space: Downfall and I must say, I'm intrigued. I think I will pick this game up right after LittleBigPlanet (and right after I have some spending money). Reading all these 'rave reviews' about it, I may not regret my purchase. Anyone else see it?

I don't think it comes out till tuesday. I'm intrigued as I find it hard to believe that horror can work in an animated medium but I may be pleasantly surprised. It looks entertaining if nothing more.

I don't think it comes out till tuesday. I'm intrigued as I find it hard to believe that horror can work in an animated medium but I may be pleasantly surprised. It looks entertaining if nothing more.

Its not the horror in the movie that intrigued me (not great).The game seems to do the job of spooking the crap out of me (from what I've seen). Its that fact that there was 80 minutes of (semi-decent)back story to go with this game. Then again, i don't have very high standards for this sort of thing. It was pretty entertaining none-the-less.

:werd:

Animated Horror has potential I'd love to see capitalised on, 'specially if Warren Ellis is creatively involved in the dvd biz. It's a preorder incentive at EB here, so I'm half tempted to preoder strictly for the free DVD and then cancel that shit 'cause Nick's shining endorsement tells me this is the least interesting thing for me to check out.

• 4 months later...

I enjoyed the hell out of Dead Space, dunno why I put off playing it for so long. I went through using nothing but the plasma cutter (for the achievement), second time around I used the other weapons and it felt like I'd used a cheat code, it was so much easier.

The Blue-Ray is pretty cool as well, animation leaves something to be desired but at the end of the day it's a solid little prequel.

• 6 months later...

Man... How wrong was I about this game? Reading my above posts don't betray the utter disdain & cynisism I clearly picked up later on about this, but playing it now, about a 3rd of the way through(I think I'ma dedicate friday night to a proper playthrough), and it's so, so,so fucking good. My god, I just want to inject it into my brain as a nightcap and see what awful nightmares ensue. I've been sitting on the Downfall for a month or two, should I wait til I finish the game to watch it despite it being a prequel?

Bru was taking on the last cleremont plot string! it started out strong, looked great in the previews! i told you it was ongoing! i was in the pool!

just look at the scorn you threw my way over recommending this game prior! and still, i try to put you onto good shit, try to keep you from funneling gamestop futures and the like. and all i get is bru-hate!

bru-hate and a big daddy. and that USB hub, and those hush figures were pretty cool. alright, you know what? this is working out alright, come to think of it.

• 4 months later...

LINK

Dead Space 2 Official

[ure "Vader" Paul]

06:51 am EST @ December 07th, 2009

Filed under: DEAD SPACE, DEAD SPACE 2, EA, VISCERAL GAMES

Visceral Games and EA announced Dead Space 2. The main character of the original game, Isaac Clarke, returns, taking the fight to the Necromorphs in another action-horror experience.

The developers promised "new tools to gruesomely slice and dismember the Necromorphs complement Isaac's signature plasma cutter, empowering him as he meets new characters, explores epic zero-G environments, and fights against a relentless Necromorph onslaught. Survival isn't the only thing on Isaac's mind in Dead Space 2 – this time, he calls the shots."

“Like so many gamers worldwide, we love the Dead Space franchise and are very excited to announce a new game in the series,” said Nick Earl, Senior VP and Group General Manager at EA. “Visceral Games is quickly becoming known for delivering high-quality, action-packed games. Dead Space 2 is on target to deliver a jaw-dropping experience gamers won’t soon forget.”

“We’re thrilled to jump back into the series, making the next chapter in Isaac’s journey,” added Steve Papoutsis, Executive Producer of Dead Space 2. “The infection continues to spread throughout space and our hero Isaac Clarke is the only person able to contain it. There are still loads of Necromorphs that need killing. In Dead Space 2, not everything is exactly as it seems. Expect plot twists that will surprise you and a huge cast of twisted, disgusting monsters that are sure to scare the daylights out of you.”

Dead Space 2 is being developed for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Dead-Space-2-1.jpg

Dead-Space-2-3.jpg

Dead-Space-2-4.jpg

Dead-Space-2-8.jpg

Prolly old news by now and obviously this isn't the whole story, but thought I'd post somethin. More news folks? :wank:

was gonna post on this like a week ago but i handt yet seen screens - nice! good horror's been a bit scarce this gen, in comparison, so Dead Space was very welcome - finally grabbed a copy for 360, cant wait to replay it on surround sound, the game begs for that.