Hondo's Bar

How 'bout them Dolphins!

archangel

The 'phins did it again last weekend, beating out the Chargers! Hey not bad. Hope this trend keeps up.

No matter what they have DOUBLED their win total from last year. They have improved, which is all we need.

Plus, they are starting to gain respect. Their next opponent the Texans, When the season started were not too worried about playing Miami, now are very wary of a resurgent Dolphin team. The 'Fins are no longer a punchline.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We beat the two competitors for the AFC Title of last season: that's a hell of an accomplishment, considering one of them almost won the Super-Bowl and were an undefeated team (where :mad:)

Houston isn't doing so well this season, but if we can beat the Chargers AND the Pats, then we should be able to down Houston. Christ in heaven, we might actually win 8 games this season!

We beat the two competitors for the AFC Title of last season: that's a hell of an accomplishment, considering one of them almost won the Super-Bowl and were an undefeated team (where :wink:)

Houston isn't doing so well this season, but if we can beat the Chargers AND the Pats, then we should be able to down Houston. Christ in heaven, we might actually win 8 games this season!

We are talking about the Dolphins right?

• 2 weeks later...
Ginn, Pennington lead charge as Dolphins claw back to drop sloppy Bills

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Ted Ginn Jr.'s career in Miami began with boos, and it took 18 months for him to silence the critics.

A draft bust no more, Ginn made seven catches Sunday for a career-high 175 yards, and the Dolphins overcame a nine-point third-quarter deficit to beat Buffalo 25-16.

With Ginn's first 100-yard game, he made by far his biggest impact since Miami's much-mocked decision to take him with the ninth overall pick last year. Fans at a draft party booed when the selection was announced, and he has heard plenty of criticism since.

"I just let all that go past my head," Ginn said. "As long as the people on my team love me and want me to get better, the other stuff doesn't matter."

Like Ginn, the Dolphins these days are all about erasing labels: They're no longer lousy. Miami (3-4) tripled its win total from last season under the new Bill Parcells regime, and broke a four-game losing streak against Buffalo.

"We needed this win," said Dolphins cornerback Andre Goodman, part of a defense that shut out the Bills over the final 25 minutes. "We didn't want to go to 2-5, and the season is over before the halfway point."

The Bills (5-2) lost for the second time in three games and fell into a tie with New England atop the AFC East. They committed four turnovers, all in the fourth quarter to squash any comeback chances.

"It's a game that's very disappointing," coach Dick Jauron said. "We just gave up too many big plays and turned the ball over. You do that in the NFL and your odds of winning are not good."

Ginn set up Miami's first two scores with receptions of 46 and 64 yards. Those completions were part of an efficient day for Chad Pennington, who went 22-for-30 for 314 yards with no interceptions.

"A lot of people are wondering, 'Where's Ted? Where's Ted?'" Pennington said. "With young receivers it takes awhile. He just keeps getting better and better. He's hungry, and he wants to be the guy."

Joey Porter had two sacks, including one to force a fumble for a safety as the Bills unraveled in the final period.

"We really killed ourselves," Buffalo receiver Lee Evans said.

Dan Carpenter kicked field goals of 43, 45 and 35 yards, all in the final 23 minutes after the Dolphins fell behind 16-7.

"We could have folded," Pennington said. "We didn't do that."

The Dolphins looked to the speedy Ginn to help them come from behind, and he turned a short pass into a 64-yard gain to set up a field goal that made it 16-10.

Ricky Williams' 3-yard touchdown run capped a 69-yard drive and put Miami ahead to stay. Will Allen's interception of a harried pass by Trent Edwards led to another field goal and a 20-16 lead.

A punt pinned the Bills deep, and on third down Porter forced a fumble when he sacked Edwards in the end zone. Buffalo center Duke Preston recovered, giving Miami a safety.

Following the ensuing kick, the Dolphins moved 41 yards for another field goal -- their fifth score in barely 19 minutes.

The Bills moved 35 yards in the final 1:38 of the first half to kick a field goal for a 9-7 lead, then began the second half with a 70-yard drive capped by Marshawn Lynch's 8-yard run. But they were shut out the rest of the way.

Their mistakes down the stretch included a fumble on a sneak by Edwards, another after a reception by Robert Royal and a muffed punt by Roscoe Parrish.

"I don't know if we were ready to play the entire game," Edwards said.

Ginn set the tone on the game's first play, beating the Bills deep for a 46-yard gain. The catch came against cornerback Terrence McGee, playing with a sore knee.

"I'm not making any excuses," McGee said. "They had a great game. He had a great game."

Eight plays later, on third down, Pennington lobbed a 2-yard touchdown pass to Anthony Fasano.

The Dolphins said Ginn was a big part of the game plan and, as expected, the Bills were geared to stop the run.

"I had an opportunity and I took it," Ginn said. "I tried to run as fast as I could with it and as far as I could with it."

Too bad Trent Edwards was my starting QB for my fantasy team...

Ginn ain't shit! One good game in 2 years? Like Nick says: the sun shines even on a dog's ass sometimes. Show me MORE, Teddy! Camarillo's all we got right now in the wide-out position. Fasano, too. But even those guys would be shit if it wasn't for Pennington, who in my opinion is the best QB we've had here in Miami since the man, Dan!

Fins D ain't to shabby either. JOEYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Big win for the fins....man I really thought they were gonna blow it at the end there...

I'd love to get really excited about them, but we're just not that good of a team. Even though Ginn has been playing well as of late, we might have the worst receiving core in the game, we just can't get too far with that. Looks like we might end up in no mans land...not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to get a high pick in the draft....

All that's saying is we've REALLY been bad over the years. I mean we pranced around like we were a good team when we had guys like Taylor and Thomas on our D, but we were NEVER a contender. NOW we might be on to something.

I can agree that Pennington isn't the answer, but the stats don't lie. This guy is the most accurate passer EVER. Henne is gonna learn alot from this guy and HE IS our future.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm daring to hope.

The Jets play Buffalo, Seattle and then us

The Pats play Oakland, Arizona and then Buffalo

The Raiders are a joke this year, and Seattle is even worse, but Arizona is #1 in the NFC West.

So what we have to hope for is Buffalo to beat both the Jets and the Pats, bringing them up to 8-7, but hope they loose to the Broncos to put them at 8-8. That means that both the Jets and the Pats will be (assuming they cream those shitty teams they're up against) 10-6 (with the Jets at 9-6 with their final game against us).

If we can defeat the 49ers and the Rams and the Jets (the first one will be tough, the second easy, and the third tough), we can actually win the Conference.

:sigh:

Conference, Division...same difference. Call me a pessimist but I just don't see us beating the Jets at home in December, and I HATE the fucking Jets! I see all of us finishing 10-6, but New York making the playoffs with the head-to-head advantage. I tip my hat to Sparano for taking us from worst to this point, but playoffs? Not Likely.

I've been a big DOLFAN...and though I am a not a Ricky Williams fan (at all), they have been improving and i'im looking forward to the next one...

PS--i dont know if any of you are going to LET IT FLY, but i'll be playing this weekend...so if YOUR football team doesnt cheer you up, come check out mine, I promise we will win!!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived