Hondo's Bar

Crossed

The NZA

cross1w.jpg

Says the distribution page:

Garth Ennis has pulled out all the stops to write the most twisted book of his career, Crossed. Through ten heart-stopping chapters, Crossed is his horrifically visceral exploration of the pure evil that humans are truly capable of indulging. This gut-wrenching vision is brought to vivid (and more than a little disturbing) life by his partner in crime Jacen Burrows. Imagine, for a moment, the worst crimes against humanity. Picture the cruelest affronts to decency. Conjure your darkest nightmares… and then realize it could all be so much worse. When civilization crumbles in one terrifying moment; when people are gleefully breaking into unthinkable acts of violence all around you; when everyone you love has died screaming in agony: What do you do? There is no help. There is no hope. There is no escape. There are only the Crossed. Certain to be the most depraved and corrupt book of the year, this one is not for the faint of heart!

Seriously, after 303, Crecy, Black Summer, Wormwood etc, have Ellis & Ennis just basically decided to do all their dark shit over at Avatar Press? I used to think that label was only for horror movie spinoffs, but theyre tearing it up lately.

# 0 of this book came out last month, # 1 just dropped last week, and shit can it get rough. Like Warren Ellis' Black Gas, its about some unknown contagion making people...evil, and society falling apart quickly, but the description up there keeps making me think of the last spread of issue # 1...christ.

Anyway, its pretty enjoyable so far, more in the shock-value Ennis sense than a deep character piece, but if you're up for that, its worth checking out.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I'm still yet to check out Wormwood. Slow week for books which means backissue/tradetime, this week I've the Marvel Boy trade on order. Can't wait.

Picture Preacher done in the style of The Pro and that's pretty much it. Admittedly it's like 50 times better than The Pro but that's mostly because the Pro was just idiotic.

You're about the only other person I've encountered who had nothing but admiration for that book. Even Nick & I when we started talking, he was telling me to lay off the Pro. Seriously, it's simply an anthology of the dirtiest superhero jokes or what if scenarios teenage boys ever thought up. Didn't stop me buying the HC with the supplimentary 'The Ho' crossover.

Wait, what? I just said The Pro was idiotic and that Wormwood, by similarity was kinda dumb. One of my downsides on Wanted was that it was similar to The Pro. I had it on my hard drive long enough to read it and I honestly have no clue why I finished it. I haven't a clue where you got the idea I liked it because I truly and honestly don't.

I halfway dug Wormwood too, but it was too consumed with making dirty jokes about religion to actually tell a better story. Between the bartender with a dick for a nose, Judas shopping for dildos, and God slobbering and jacking off like some half-crazed hillbilly in the background of a scene I was supposed to take halfway seriously I finished thinking "Meh, I liked Battle Pope better."

Yeah I phrased that shit wrong- I meant you and I are about the only ones who hated the fucking Pro. And drawing comparison to Wanted? Low blow sir, even for you. :pig:

Ah, that makes much more sense.

Also:

I agree with Jailbayt that Wanted was by no means Millar's finest, and the comparison to The Pro is actually pretty spot-on,

To be fair The Boys suffers from that same problem, so did Rifle Brigade (one of my favorite Ennis books, essentially Kelly's Heroes on crack). The piss-taking holds both books back though The Boys kinda half-ass manages to distance itself from that in-between gags. Wanted was a fun book, but whoever called it Watchmen for super villains is an idiot.

• 7 months later...

A friend at ye olde comic book store was telling me about this last week and I just finished the first four issues. To quote Eric Cartman: Da fuck!?!?

Issue #1:

simultaneous rape and disembowelment of a family

Issue #2:

evil zombies circle jerking into a bowl of bullets

Issue #3:

cannibal kindergarteners

Issue #4:

people beaten to death with a severed horse penis

Where will issues 5 -9 go? What depths of fucked-up-ness can Ennis mind go to? At the rate this book appears to be coming out we should know sometime in 2010.

yeah, its not quite Ultimate Wolvy vs Hulk (finally tied up last week, too) but the delays are crazy. so its definitely gong up to issue # 9?

this book reminds me a bit of Warren Ellis' Black Gas, also a decent read if you're inclined, Baytor.

I read Black Gas, generic shit in my opinion and the weakest Ellis book I've read thus far, had a great opening but then proceeded with 3 books worth of lost potential. The covers were far more interesting and fucked up than anything in the book (the maternity ward one for example)

Is the torrent for this issue up on Demonoid yet?

baytor said the exact same thing...i really gotta get a good DC++ tutorial up for you guys, its more complicated but i get my books on wednesdays fast as fuck, bish showed me a great comics hub.

meantime, pirate bay has you covered.

Thanks for the link, Nick. I basically just use Demonoid, and I stopped using PB for comics b/c they usually only have the gig torrents packs and those take forever to DL. For instance, the link above is a 3.5 GB torrent and I want one lil' 11.4MB file., and it's DL'n between like 0.4-1.2 kb/s

This DC++ is news to me and I'd definitely appreciate a tutorial.

i swear ill try to find a decent one, bish says he's a new client for it that's easier to use.

speaking of, what bittorrent client are you running? you should be able to select which files out of a pack that you want. i know utorrent does this these days, i just cant find anything that runs faster than azerus/vuse, resources be damned.

i swear ill try to find a decent one, bish says he's a new client for it that's easier to use.

speaking of, what bittorrent client are you running? you should be able to select which files out of a pack that you want. i know utorrent does this these days, i just cant find anything that runs faster than azerus/vuse, resources be damned.

oh most defintely i pick and choose files outta packs. but the thing is w/ packs that big you get less seeders and not everyone DL's every file, so it tends to go slow. demonoid usually lists individual books or packs of much smaller sizes (usually 5-10 books per).

i use uTorrent v. 1.6.1 it's an older version and doesn't have any of the ads or other shit later versions are loaded down w/. azureus/vuze tends to make my other web applications run super slow, so it's shit for use when multitasking in my experience.

• 4 weeks later...