Hondo's Bar

Crossed

The NZA

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^I think issue #1 where the "salt guy" and his family get destroyed is the most messed up splash panel of the series I can think up off the top of my head. Also the cover where the crossed are tearing up a plane is pretty vile. (I forget the issue # and am too lazy to get up and go check.)

yeah, its a shock book, i agree with not hanging on for the mythos. that quiet issue was clearly a clam before the storm, and its been a fun, dark ride so far, but man am i tired of Ennis books being hyped as "out-Preachering Preacher", like that book was all zombie-rape and saltmen.

I can't wait for that waitress mom to die. I am getting sick to death of her world weary bullshit.

Yes, as twisted as this series has been you know he better have an especially unique and horrific end for our protagonist in mind--likely something w/ her kid simultaneously raping and eviscerating her.

I've been waiting for some horrible end for her since the first issue, specially with all the "I know how the world can fuck you blah blah I'm a single mom blah blah and also poor blah blah."

I just hope the main guy, the trendy gay guy in the glasses, and the blind girl live. Though more than likely this book'll pull a Just A Pilgrim and give us a big "FUCK YOU" in lieu of an ending.

I've already said I don't deem this a book worth following(I was burnt by Just a Pilgrim so I don't even get invested on Ennis minis anymore-except Fury), but I do so miss the book where anyone can go at any time. Milligan & Allred's Xforce was great like that for like, the first 4 months before the joke supposedly got old and they moved onto the more fertile territory of Diana piss-taking & Casey-style reality tv chic.

i think there is, in horrific, post-apocalyptic stories, but yeah likely not here. also, skeet: Ennis' minis are hit-and-miss. Unknown Soldier, Pride & Joy, War Story etc are grand, there's a lotta forgettable shit though (case in point: how did Just a Pilgrim end again?). also, i loved x-force/x-statix almost the whole way through, but it shoundt be read sequentially.

• 5 months later...

Read Issue #8 today. I dug it and the stand alone digression w/ finding

the dead soldier's journal in a bible and that leading to flashback panels of his story. Also, I think them going back to bury her kid was a huge "OMGWTF!?!!? How Retarded Can You Be" moment. It's just a plot device for the two protaognists to get killed or (knowing this book) rape-killed.

This was also the issue where you finally get hit over the head w/ the cliched message that "man is the true monster," which seems requiste for any post-apocalyptic story.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh there's another issue coming but I can pretty much guess how it's going to end, mostly from the huge exposition that the narrator dropped at the end.

Horsecock and his crew will purposefully avoid the main character and angry waittress chick, ambush the others, the others will help them find the two main characters and they'll either die, or she'll die and he'll be left wandering around all dejected and mopey. Or he'll kill himself

yeah, see...i dont see any other way this shit can end. book sorta screams "no one walks away from this" from the start, even if just having the main characters ending up crossed themselves.

Just A Pilgrim, on the other hand...i had both series (sold off so much of my lesser Ennis shit years back) and i dont even recall how it ended. he might've been nuked, i guess, he just wasnt any more memorable for me than say Bloody Mary was. fucking Wizard.

I'm not even gonna spoiler tag this, because honestly, it's not even fucking worth it. The little girl gets possessed by the Jellyfish things and The Pilgrim flips the fuck out wondering why God would do this to such an innocent creature. Him and the other 2 still-living people make it to the rocket but he's attacked by the jellyfish and he makes the woman throw the bible out of the ship before blasting off so it won't corrupt a new culture. It was pretty fucking stupid.

• 1 month later...

The last issue (#9) came out last week.

Oh there's another issue coming but I can pretty much guess how it's going to end, mostly from the huge exposition that the narrator dropped at the end.

Horsecock and his crew will purposefully avoid the main character and angry waittress chick, ambush the others, the others will help them find the two main characters and they'll either die, or she'll die and he'll be left wandering around all dejected and mopey. Or he'll kill himself

Ellis got one over on ya, sir! Aside from the obligatory narration by the guy about how the Crossed are just humanity amplified to the highest negative aspect we all apparently have in us, it was a relatively surprising ending as far as the way it seemed to be going. I thought it fit well.

Also, looking back, the violence or at least the degree of absurdity & perversion to the violence seemed to decline rather than increase as the series progressed. I wonder if this was an intentional device used to make the reader question their own perverted desire to see more spectacle w/ each issue? Or did he just blow his wad of fucked up ideas too soon?

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 3 months later...

Just read the first two issues of Crossed: Family Values. Enins didn't write it, but it's in the same universe, and the guy writing it is David Lapham. It's pretty fucked up. This go-round focuses on a family that was already severely messed up before the crossed started appearing.

Just read the first two issues of Crossed: Family Values. Enins didn't write it, but it's in the same universe, and the guy writing it is David Lapham. It's pretty fucked up. This go-round focuses on a family that was already severely messed up before the crossed started appearing.

Ahhh, that's good news. Personally, I love David Lapham and look forward to seeing his take on the genre. Stray Bullets was awesome.

I only just got the Crossed TPB a few weeks back. Not the most original piece or work in the world these days, but it certainly entertained me.

HORSECOCK!