Hondo's Bar

Crossed

The NZA

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Gas came first but it honestly kind of blows, it starts out well enough but it's just kind of a shitty story. Both of them owe a lot to James Herbert's The Fog.

Also: Crossed Family Values was kinda shitty as well, it really was just a series of escalating fucked up shit that went nowhere. Crossed Psycho looks to be even worse. Ennis had the sense to only throw in one or two fucked up things an issue with a bunch of atmosphere in-between, Family Values just made mutliation rape into some sort of white noise.

Fuck. I had high hopes for that one.

Then again, I'm still stuck on Stray Bullets. Lapham has done a lot of work since then and I don't think I've gotten into any of it, with the exception of Young Liars, which I never did finish. So that's pretty telling.

Black Gas came first but it honestly kind of blows, it starts out well enough but it's just kind of a shitty story. Both of them owe a lot to James Herbert's The Fog.

Also: Crossed Family Values was kinda shitty as well, it really was just a series of escalating fucked up shit that went nowhere. Crossed Psycho looks to be even worse. Ennis had the sense to only throw in one or two fucked up things an issue with a bunch of atmosphere in-between, Family Values just made mutliation rape into some sort of white noise.

Will avoid Black Gas.

Agreed on C:FV. That was a tough one to finish for me. I was hoping it'd go somewhere, and I guess it technically did have an arch for the heroine, but you're spot on about all the mutilation and rape becoming the "white noise" by the end of the series.

Since when does a Baytor opinion automatically translate to gospel for Haku?

Oh, Blackgas isn't any worse than some of the superhero shit you gobble up, it's just a pretty by-the-book zombie story structure. Ellis handles his rape zombies with a little more restraint. I get the impression that he finds rape disturbing, where Garth Ennis just thinks it's kind of funny (I'm sure Jacen Burroughs has something to do with that, he loves to draw maniacal glee).

Anyways, it's not like it's some big commitment, I think it took me like half an hour.

The only reason I even mention it is because I thought the Crossed tourettes-rape zombies were a somewhat original idea, and Blackgas is almost precisely the same exact thing.

Since when does a Baytor opinion automatically translate to gospel for Haku?

OK, 1: When it comes to zombies and/or rape-zombies, even I have to admit Baytor is the resident expert in these parts. B: I've got so many comics in my backlog to catch up w/ that it doesn't take much for me to mark something off my "to read" list these days. And thirdly: even you say it's similar to Crossed, so why waste my time. :wink:

Logan: Did you read Black Gas 2 and 3? The first one is pretty okay though it doesn't seem to go much of anywhere, the second 2 are just a waste. I forget they're considered seperate entities despite the fact they read like 3 issues of a series. Either way, it just wasn't up to par with Ellis' other stuff for me, though it's become kind of an expectation for Ellis books to have disappointing endings at this point.

Logan: Did you read Black Gas 2 and 3? The first one is pretty okay though it doesn't seem to go much of anywhere, the second 2 are just a waste. I forget they're considered seperate entities despite the fact they read like 3 issues of a series. Either way, it just wasn't up to par with Ellis' other stuff for me, though it's become kind of an expectation for Ellis books to have disappointing endings at this point.

I dunno. I read the trade. Starts with a dude and and his lady going to an island, ends with

The cop mercy killing her and going kamikaze, then a bomb drops and you see the gas spreading

It is most definitely not up to par for an Ellis book, like practically everything else he's done for Avatar. They come of as small ideas that are never really finished.

^YES. that's exactly what just about everything ive read from that label felt like, i think Supergod was about as complete a tale as ive gotten. fuck, Moore better tie up his Lovecraft tale in the 3rd act as well, its like some of my favorites go there to get whatever disease it is Millar has where you start with interesting ideas and don't bother tying to close them.

its like some of my favorites go there to get whatever disease it is Millar has where you start with interesting ideas and don't bother tying to close them.

That analogy is made even more complete by the fact that they almost all involve rape.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Re-read the original Crossed run and finished the first book of Crossed 100+

I barely remember the first one and I didn't like it much when I first read it. It was alot better a second time around. Felt alot creepier for some reason.

Crossed 100+ is pretty cool so far too, even though it's hard to read with the new language stuff going on, but it's one of the coolest things in the book.

About to read Hack/Slash. This one any good? It kinda looks like one fo those things that isn't nearly as good as the premise sounds, but might be fun anyway.

Hack/Slash dips and peaks in quality over time but it's a fun read throughout, though in the back half of the book you're going to be far more interested in the adventures of the autistic detective girl and the talking demon dog than the actual title characters.

Just read 1-5 of +100.

the buildup and creepy sense of foreboding finally payed off with #5. I really enjoyed that issue.

The language is annoying to me, but thank god it doesn't take place in New York.

edit:see below

Edited by Thelogan

Crossed +100 #5 spoilers

okay, so I'm running with the theory that Robbie Greer is a Crossed based on the following:

He said his people were "survivalers". Bits of truth mixed into the cover story.

He's very eager to be left alone to do the mopping on multiple occasions and seems to have little fear of splash back infection.

He was leading the expedition that took them straight to multiple planted crossed families.

He was the one that pointed out the "stolen" ringed ostriches and it was his idea to ring them in the first place.

His burns would cover up his face rash.

He's a nega.

Anyone got anything else?

You guys should check out Crossed: Wish You Were Here.

The whole thing is available online for free, legally. It's a pretty good story set in the universe, probably my favorite of the whole series and since it isn't sprinting toward a downtrodden ending like all the shitty Crossed: Badlands arcs it takes its time and builds up nicely. It has a few of the silly over-the-top "OMG THIS IS SO HORRIFYING" moments that hurt the series, but it's a solid story. Check it out.

Crossed +100 #5 spoilers

okay, so I'm running with the theory that Robbie Greer is a Crossed based on the following:

He said his people were "survivalers". Bits of truth mixed into the cover story.

He's very eager to be left alone to do the mopping on multiple occasions and seems to have little fear of splash back infection.

He was leading the expedition that took them straight to multiple planted crossed families.

He was the one that pointed out the "stolen" ringed ostriches and it was his idea to ring them in the first place.

His burns would cover up his face rash.

He's a nega.

Anyone got anything else?

Yeah I'm starting to think he's the little kid from the video who was first to pass the test. I'm not sure if the timeline adds up, but it seems to.