Hondo's Bar

Gaming Blargh/random bits

bishopcruz

hmm...ima have to see pics. i got tired of the 194 series last collection, and i dont remember much of those, except mebbe nights of the round (did capcom do one called cadash or was that someone else?)

where are the classic 2P arcade games? Punisher alone'd get me on board for this.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The creators of online videogame-themed comic Penny Arcade have joined forces with Hothead Games, an independent videogame developer, to create games based on the Penny Arcade comic.

The first game, entitled Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, will be a comic adventure game initially available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. A version for next-generation consoles will follow. The game will be available by digital download, delivered in episodic format with new installments of the adventure coming out several times a year.

"All our developers are industry veterans with years of experience translating characters from other media into video games, having been involved with such hits as The Simpsons Hit & Run and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction," said Vlad Ceraldi, President of Hothead Games. "So working with Penny Arcade to create their first game is a natural fit, and we're thrilled to have the opportunity to collaborate with them."

Ceraldi added, "I've promised this with past games, and I stand by it: if the game sucks, I'll eat my shirt."

A release date for the first episode of Penny Arcade Adventures is yet to be announced.(Taken from ign.com)

Please waste more of our tax dollars on this an not on somethimg important.

A month after a district judge ruled a Minnesota game bill unconstitutional, the state has said that it will appeal the decision.

Attorney General Mike Hatch, who is running for governor in November, will try to revive the bill by appealing to the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. SF0785 would fine any consumer under the age of 17 $25 for purchasing an M- or AO-rated videogame.

It would also require retailers to post a sign indicating that underaged buyers are subject to the fine. Hatch said in a statement, "If the parents aren't troubled by their kids playing these games, they can buy them for their children."

The bill was already found to violate First Amendment rights.

In the most recent ruling which established a permanent injunction against the bill, U.S. District Judge James M. Rosenbaum stated, "The First Amendment . . . was certainly established to keep the government from becoming the arbiter of what constitutes 'worthless' or 'disgusting' speech. The Court declines the State's invitation to enter into an evaluation of this kind."

The judge also said that there was no conclusive evidence that violent games were harmful to minors.

Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty signed the game bill into law in the spring. The Entertainment Software Association called the measure a “feel good bill,” and promptly sued the state, leading to the permanent injunction.

The bill has drawn criticism not only on the grounds of free speech, but also in the fact that it would be a difficult law to enforce.

Assassin's Creed Finally confirmed for the 360:

ss_preview_1.jpg

from Joystiq

Admitting to one of the worst-kept secrets in recent memory, Ubisoft has finally confirmed Assassin's Creed for Xbox 360 in both Electronic Gaming Monthly and 360 Magazine.

Unfortunately, not much else is revealed, such as a release date or platform-specific content. Most of all, we want to know why they waited to confirm the Xbox 360 version, even though we all knew it was coming. As a developer and publisher, it would be the smartest decision to promote all iterations of the title. Was it to instigate hype, as 1UP's Luke Smith conjectures, or were there even more sinister deals being made behind the scenes?

Assassin's Creed is also coming out for PC and PlayStation 3.

[Thanks to everyone who sent this in!]

[update: In a press release, Ubisoft has announced that the Xbox 360 version will launch in early 2007 alongside the PS3 version.

GameSpot also has a Q&A with Producer Jade Raymond that sidesteps important questions, such as "why deny the 360 version?" and instead opts for the more generic lead-ins. Assassin's Creed has high-def visuals, audio, and Xbox Achievements? O, thank you, Captain Obvious!]

I still say this whole exclusivity thing was a ploy to keep people talking about the game over the slow summer months.

No word on Dead Rising yet. Though there are rumblings that because it has been selling so well there might be some exclusives moving over from PS3 to 360, we might find out more at TGS. Honestly though, it could just be wishful thinking. It's hard to know for sure until announcements are made.

• 2 weeks later...
A year ago, Sega revealed Yoot Saito was working on a follow-up to his quirky Dreamcast hit, Seaman, where gamers helped a freakish human fish hybrid via microphone. We haven't heard a blip about the game since, however, but Sega's opened the game's website, promising an announcement by the end of the week.

How come we haven't heard anything, though? Some speculation suggests a platforms shift, with Seaman 2 ending up on the Nintendo DS or Wii (or both?), but we'll have to wait a couple more days to figure out what Sega's been up to for the past 12 months.

I'm hoping for Wii, if only for the bad jokes that will be a coming:

I've got Seaman on my Wii

:blink:

Though Nintendo won't say it publicly until an event Thursday morning, a New York Times report has already answered the questions on millions of gamers' minds: When will the Wii go on sale? What will it cost? How many games will it have at launch?

As it turns out, the console will arrive on Sunday, November 19, in North America and South America, according to the Times. That puts the console's launch just two days after that of its archrival, the PlayStation 3, which has recently seen its own debut scaled down.

But while only 400,000 PS3s will be available at launch, the Times claims that the Wii will be "far more available in stores this holiday season" than its competitor due to its cheaper and simpler form factor. The company now plans to ship 4 million Wiis worldwide by the end of 2006, nearly double the 2 million to 2.3 million shipped PS3s Sony is now forecasting.

As many suspected, the Wii will cost $250 in the US, according to the article. Since Nintendo executives have said it would be under $250, the likely final price will be $249.99 or $249.95. It will also reportedly have over 25 first- and third-party games available at launch, with up to 30 on shelves by the end of the year. First-party games will cost just $50, $10 less than most third-party PS3 and Xbox 360 games; it was unclear what third-party Wii games will cost. The report also said that the classic NES, SNES, and N64 games downloadable to the Wii's virtual console would range from $5-10 in price, in line with most Xbox Live Arcade games.

But while many had hoped for a console that cost $199--or less--the Wii will have something not seen in a Nintendo launch since the SNES--a game packed in with a console from day one. (Note: Several GameCube bundles were offered post-launch.) As rumored, the console will come with the Wii Sports compilation that was shown off at E3 earlier this year. The game comp will allow players to engage in bouts of baseball, bowling, golf, and tennis using the Wii's motion-sensing controller.

"Our goal is to bring gaming back to the masses," Nintendo of America president and chief operating officer Reggie Fils-Aime told the Times. "You see that in our pricing, you see that in the number of units we plan to make available this year and you see that in how we are positioning the Wii to appeal to every member of the household, including but not limited to the hardcore gamer."

The Times also re-confirmed that the most anticipated game for the Wii, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, will be available by the end of the year, as will Excite Truck. However, the first Mario game for the console will now reportedly not arrive at retail until 2007.

The article also claims the Wii will have Web-surfing capabilities akin to that of a home computer. "Perhaps most intriguing, the Wii will make it possible to browse the Web on the television," said the report. "Microsoft's Xbox 360 does not permit this because that could negate the need to buy a Windows PC." Attempts to clarify the Wii's exact Internet capabilities with Nintendo reps had been unsuccessful as of press time, most likely because of the late hour.

Nintendo also appears to be moving away from its GameCube-era "game consoles should be for games only" mantra. Besides the Wii's previously announced DVD playback abilities, the console will also have many multimedia functions. "There will be a photo channel that will allow users to use the Wii to display digital photographs on television," read the report. "There also will be an easy-to-use interactive news channel and weather channel."

"We are including all of these capabilities as part of our overall strategy to expand the gaming market," Fils-Aime told the Times. "Broadening the market is important because it will breathe new life into this business. Otherwise, this industry is moving down a path of being more and more limited to the hardcore gamer."

I'm wondering if it will come with 2 controllers. It damn well better, $250 would be way too fucking much otherwise. I figured Wii Sports would be a pack in. I still say 199 would have been a better price, but with the competition pricing so high, the Big N has a good bit of wiggle room.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm actually pretty excited about the Wii...even if it doesn't come with 2 controllers and has a launch price of $250.

Sure I love all the nintendo classics, but this console just seemed like more of the same for a while. Another mario game, another zelda game, another metroid game. Sure, that might rock if you're a fan of those games, but how are you supposed to get people who are growing more and more distant from them back in?

The Wii certainly seems like it'll be able to do just that, as well as get new people into gaming. Sure, it may not be a shiny as the Xbox360 or the PS3, but it seems like they're really going out on a limb to make an improvement in areas besides graphics.

Well, the controllers are going to be priced at 39.99 for the Wiimote and 19.99 for the nunchuk, so $60 for the whole shebang. Ouch. That is fucking insane. Epecially after all the talk of getting gaming back to the masses.

The VC could be cool, but christ, I think nintendo should have priced the games lower too. For $5 the NES games had better have some serious upgrades, online leaderboards/play and all that shit. Then it's what $8 for the SNES games and $10 for N64, pretty pricey, considering SF2 Turbo on XBLA was only $5.

wait, so a $250 console with $60 of periphrials is 'fucking insane"? youve got to be kidding me; this is still way less than the 360, and you can swing it with zelda or another title for a fraction of the PS3's price tag.

consoles havent come with 2 controllers and a game for over 10 years now; this one offers at least one of that, and its ridiculous if they dont offer the later? the price tag alone means they could package it barebones and itd still be a great deal.

i do agree that $5-10 for ROMs is a bit, unless, theyre updated. I want a lota classic NES games but was hoping theyd be a few bucks each, ill wait to see final prices before i say. Im glad it got a release date finally, tho.

It would be less insane if the goddamned thing wasn't just an overclocked gamecube. Not to mention the big N was all on wanting this to open itself to nongamers, and how the big draw of the system was everyone playing togehter. It's nice that this is the first system with a pack in at launch since the Saturn. COnsidering reports are ocming out that this thing is about $100 to manufacture, and sell, they could have easily brought this is at $199 and seriously hit the mass market price point.

Wii Sports was a smart move as a pack in, and the package as it stands I think would be fair at $199, at $249 it should have 2 controllers.

I think it will do fairly well, and hopefully there will be some compelling stuff, I just think the value for the $249 is not there.

saying that a 2nd controller pack-in doesnt encourage people coming together is like saying a system that makes you pay for memory cards (all of them) doesnt want you playing games that take more than a few hours to beat...its readily available, and as with the gamecube, there'll possibly be options for wireless and other kinds/colors of controllers.

saying that production costs $100 so that means its a rip without a 2nd is so bizarre to me; i dont care if the PS3 actually costs $1,000 to manufature, and neither will the average consumer; you place your own value on what you can get a out of a sytem, and ive yet to see the PS3 try to justify that price tag. i still think the 360 is too high for what it brings.

youre offering a sytem (again, with a pack-in, like they all should have) for a fraction of what everyone else is, with a vast library of classics, and what looks to be a strong opening lineup; that sounds like a plan to get non-gamers on board to me, especially when you figure what non-gamer's gonna pay double that without even getting a game? Graphically, i dont see this as that far behind the others yet, but then im not as big on that angle to begin with.

i think youre nitpicking here, the same way Newt does to pick at the 360, 's all.

Nintendo_seal.gif:) nintendo-hater!

It all goes on percieved value, and while I don't think the price is absolutely insane, like say the PS3, (which to be fair CAN'T be any cheaper) it is IMO $50 more expensive than it should be. I know why they are doing it, but I think that they are pricing themselves out of some of the accessability that they have been talking about forever. That and honestly it really isn't all that much more than a souped up gamecube with a new controller, and its priced like all new hardware.

Also to be fair I have always hated the whole fucking memory card bullshit. Ever since Sony started it I have thought it was a load of shit. It may be how things have been done for a while, it doesn't make it a good value. That is one of the reasons I loved me my Xbox, no goddamn memory cards.

As for the $60 controllers, well, I think offering them as 2 seperate pieces is wonky, and I think that price cuts out a lot of the advantage they would have in comparison to the other guys.

I think I would probably be less cheesed if Nintendo hadn't gone on and on about how much more accessable the Wii was going to be compared to everyone else. It was about fun in your face multiplayer and all that jazz. It becomes a much harder sell when there is another $60 added to the price just for 2 players. Especially when like 40% of console buyers (possibly more, can't remember the exact statistic) don't ever purchase another controller.

It's going to be an interesting generation because all three of the big boys have made some big mistakes this gen. I just wonder which mistakes are really gonna end up counting.

i suppose, i just dont see how this is really isolating their base market. you coulve made the same argument when the gamecube came out - wasnt as marketed to get everyobdoy on board, but was clearly a multiplayer system - yet most folks i know who have one paid for 3 extra controllers, as well.

Im not saying i woudlntve dug a pack-in, i just dont see the lack of one as some kind of dealbreaker.

if anyone's isolated their base, im still looking at Sony. I dont know exactly how much they can lose on each system sold, or where to cut corners, i just dont see how $600 is reasonable; i suppose the mass market could prove me wrong, id just be a bit surprised.

that said, i gotta ask again: if PS3 is due in mid November, why cant i find anywhere taking pre-pays? Im lookin all over online, no one seems to be doing it with the system less than a few months away.

Well, the Gamecube didn't exactly fly off of the shelves, and it launched for less than the Wii, the controllers were cheaper too. Not to mention that Wii Sports is not a game I think could sell well in the US for $50. It was a great choice as a pack in for that very reason.

$600 isn't reasonable, the sad thing is Sony is STILL losing about $200 per unit at that price because of all the tech in their box, the Blue Ray equipment is really driving up that cost, along with the Cell and the RSX. Without Blu-ray, Sony could have probably dropped the thing for $299 and $399 and really given MS a pain in its ass.

The reason no one is doing pre-orders on the PS3 is because supplies are so limited and places like EB and Gamestop got burned hard on their 360 fuck ups. They are playing it damned safe this time around. SOme rumors are saying that there won't be pre orders at ALL.

so, you think PS3 shouldve offerend a non-blu ray system at that price? i cant speak for the general market, but id tend to think it'd be more wel received; frankly, i dont need a player for a medium that's not even decided yet. You might be onto something there, shame they didnt offer that option.

GC didnt fly off shelves, and im not certain this well either, but im hoping the E3 performance bodes well for it. I also hope they advertise the crap out of it, and someohow (despite the name) shake the image that their line is only for kids.

...i see, that makes sense, especially with Sony already saying there's not enough coming. So even the big retailers like Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, Best Buy etc? Gotta be some place trying for it. If not, is everybody just planning on camping out in front of one of these places?

Nah the PS3 should have launched for $299 and $399 sans the blu-ray drive, that's my opinion anyhow, I think had they done that the PS3 would have launched this spring or last holiday, and would probably beat the ever loving tar out of the 360. I think Blu-ray may be its albatross.

I think the Big N may well make the Wii a hit with non-gamers, but if they do I think it will be in spite of the $250 price tag. Xbox and PS3 have priced themselves out of the casual market for now, sad thing is Nintendo may have as well.

Rumor has it that Gamestop is going to take pseudo pre orders for $50 worth of trade ins, but they aren't guaranteeing a system. I believe the money is officially for a place in line, we'll see though.