Hondo's Bar

Gaming Blargh/random bits

bishopcruz

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cd27dd5f1f55c4fa5f32bba4fe1e3f16.gif

by the way, if Dante's Inferno: the game doesnt make sense to you, surely, Walden will.

EA can't have all the fun turning great books into video games. Tracy Fullerton wants to turn Henry David Thoreau's classic into one too.

Step aside, Dante's Inferno and you literary adapters at EA working on 2010's video game version of the Divine Comedy. Walden: The Game is also in the works.

In 1854, Henry David Thoreau published the results of what would be one of the most famous experiments of American life. He went to the woods near Walden Pond in Concord Massachusetts to live a life of ascetic purity. He aimed to live alone, with the minimal requirements of life. He would remove himself from society to think and to appreciate life. (Read Thoreau's Walden here.)

That's tough material to adapt into a video game, and not material the most cynical critics and fans of games would expect.

But at the conclusion of a panel about the potential of documentary-style video games yesterday at the Games For Change festival in New York City, USC associate professor and influential video game educator/designer Tracy Fullerton revealed that she was, on the side, working with some colleagues to develop Walden: The Game.

"We were attempting to recreate the tenets of the philosophy," she said. "Within the mechanics of the game, we want to have the player re-enact the experiment of living that Thoreau took on when he went to live at Walden Pond." The game will also recreate the events that occurred while Thoreau was there.

...Fullerton told Kotaku that the project is very early. She's worked on it with a small team on and off for about a year and has no idea of when it will come out. One of the chief challenges the developers face, she said, is of player expectation. Gamers expect a reward-based gameplay system. Do this to unlock that. But such material gain — or even simulated material gain — is contrary to Thoreau's experience at Walden, and certainly contradictory to what the writer hoped to achieve during his sojourn from society. "We need to break game player's expectations," Fullerton said.

For those who would be skeptical that a Walden video game is achievable, it's worth noting Fullerton's credentials as an adviser to such celebrated and artistically experimental USC-based game projects as Jenova Chen's Cloud and flow.

If someone can make this work, Fullerton is not a bad candidate at all.

i dont know, either.

• 2 weeks later...
Bear in mind there's a degree of saber-rattling to this, but still; Activision boss Bobby Kotick has warned Sony that his company - the world's largest third-party publisher - may cease support for the PS3 and PSP.

Speaking with The Times, Kotick said "I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation".

Subtle. But wait. It gets subtler.

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow", he continues. "If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony...When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console - and the PSP [portable] too".

In that absolute worst-case scenario, that would mean no Call of Duty for Sony consoles. No Guitar Hero for Sony consoles. No Tony Hawk, either. It probably won't ever come to that, of course, but Kotick's words are still worth noting. After all, when was the last time you ever saw a third-party publisher so openly threaten a major platform holder?

you mean I won't be able to buy Guitar Hero 107?

Edited by newtype

its big talk, no doubt, but werent their CoD #s about the same on both? i almost wanna understand the point he's making, but its in such a way that...look, Kotick is such an unimaginable cock these days, EA is looking like a small, consumer-friendly indie company. that's impressive.

its big talk, no doubt, but werent their CoD #s about the same on both? i almost wanna understand the point he's making, but its in such a way that...look, Kotick is such an unimaginable cock these days, EA is looking like a small, consumer-friendly indie company. that's impressive.

I think COD sod over 3 million on the PS3.

It wouldn't suprise me if FPS in general didn't sell as well on PS3 based on what you guys have said about the compared online systems, not to mention I'd buy COD4 for the PS3 but I know me & my humble control will be mopped up by so many mouse/keyboard rocking fanboys that I just don't have the patience for.

Edited by The JZA

Everyone's favorite magicians Penn & Teller are going into their seventh season of their Showtime series Penn & Teller: Bullshit!. Everyone's favorite disbarred attorney, Jack Thompson, is slated to appear.

In the show's teaser clip, Thompson says, "Grand Theft Auto is the worst assault on children since polio."

its just, i think its really good. you're right that its hard (im dying more than i thought i would) but Red Faction demo didnt excite me, and im guessing TF2 = Team Fortress 2? for me, GB as a really great (so far) single player and fun multi takes it hands down. your call, though.

It's true. It was eh, but the only reason I played it was cause I burned the 80s Transformers animated movie soundtrack to my 360 hard drive and wanted to run around as Optimus Prime to 'YOU GOT THE TOUCH!!!' (totally worth it, by the way). Ghostbusters has the soundtrack already in it!!

Which one? Transformers 1 or 2? Don't even bother with the first one. Not unless you do what I did. Seriously, my brother and I were rollin' for hours when he walked into my room and was like 'what are you doin...' right as I'm driving full speed in the game with Prime and transform right as the song goes 'YOU GOT THE TOUCH'! It was perfect timing! We still talk about that (if we were talking, right now).

Edited by Panch