Hondo's Bar

Gaming Blargh/random bits

bishopcruz

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you can get into it and play it to win you can probably get through SS2 in 15 hours or so. I haven't technically beat it (got to the last boss tho) and I figure I was 15-20 hours in. Meanwhile The Witcher 2 can set you back about double that depending on how many side quests you do. The Witcher is good storywise and all, but if you haven't been spoiled any on SS2 it's a great story and really immersive. You could make an arguement that Valve got the idea for GLaDos from Shodan (the ship AI in SS2).

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to revisit Vangaurd and it's 5 years saga to become a playable mmo. Aside from some grouping bug, it is definately a LOT better than it was at launch (one would hope). I've not experienced any bugs as of yet, which is really something if you knew the history of this game. But you can't really say a game is good because they finally got the bugs out, but if you are looking for something like the Eq1 of old, without having to pay (why EQ1 isn't f2p yet I'll never know) this might be a good place to start.

You can get to lvl 20 with any class/race and a few let you bypass the lvl cap for free. Don't go in expecting WoW, or GW, this is a decidedly old-school mmo experience, but if you were ever a fan, this might do it for you when you want to go back.

yeah, i don't really know how to react to that.

everyone loves mid/late 90s squaresoft but that was kinda over after PS1 era and Spirits Within. I was reading on GAF how Enix might not've been necessary to save square at all, but honestly, management on both ends has clearly been shitty, i'm okay with blaming Wada for some of that.

feels like both are eating off of Eidos' plate these days anyway. upcoming DQ on WU/3DS will at least bring in more than FF XIII-3 though, i imagine.

yeah, i was reading around DQ VII they were hoping for it to blow up worldwide, and post FF VII opening the floodgates & seeing JRPGs explode on PSX i dont think it was unfounded at the time.

but again i don't blame the merger, i blame Sakaguchi being sacked, Suzuki there being pushed to the sidelines, and Wada rising to the top with no plans to replace the vision of either men beyond "let's keep doing FF all by Nomura and hope for the best". honestly im glad Matsuno found work elsewhere, and Nomrua does good on stuff of his own like The World Ends With You, but they went from a company of visionaries taking chances/experimenting (albeit during an era when that was financially less dangerous) to a factory with no one at the helm.

see also: Konami, Capcom if they keep their shit up/lose Ono.