Hondo's Bar

Gaming Blargh/random bits

bishopcruz

yeah, was gonna make a thread, but they're not as relevant these days. shame too, cause i know some of youse like your Star Wars, but it's the adventure games that they've mostly had in a vault since Gilbert & Schafer left that i loved.

RIP all the same.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having a grand ol' time with that video until shit like "this is the worst game ever made because it objectifies women!"

To me, that sounds like "I really don't care if this has the most fun, compelling gameplay of anything ever made, I will say it's terrible because it offends my social and/or political views, and a little bit of public white knighting never hurts".

Now, clearly this game isn't awesome. It looks really bland and not-fun, but my point is that seems to be irrelevant.

NZA's awesome game room has me thinking about all my old games I once had. I was gonna start a topic for gaming horror stories, but I'm not sure if a whole thread could come of that, so blargh's the winner for this bit of venting.

I've had terrible luck with games apparently. Keeping them I mean. I never really thought about how bad it was til recently. So this is a group of small stories on how I lost my old collection.

eH6Jbx4.jpg

SNES- My first system, oh how i miss you. My parents bought this for me when I was about 5. I remember them playing it more than me. I woke up in the middle of the night once and they were fighting Bowser in Super Mario World. I thought that was pretty awesome at the time. My SNES went through a lot. Well many years later, I wanna say about 5 or 6 years passed, my Mom thought it cool to lend my system to a "friend of the family". (That's a whole 'nother story I should blog about sometime. My family is pretty fucked up, so those are pages for another day) Anyway, she lent it to one of my brother's best friends. Really his dad for some reason. I never got the son of a bitch back. My mom told me he through it away because it was "broken". I hadn't played it in sometime, so I wasn't as mad as I should have been. It was a gradual anger that kinda built up over realizing that she should never have let that guy borrow it. Alot of shady details there too. Don't know exactly what happened, but I never got my SNES back. As for my game collection, a different friend of the family inherited those. That was mutual however, I wanted the games to have a home and not go to waste.

N64/Gameboy Color- This one is a twofer! One summer back in..... '98 or '99 our air conditioning broke. Just stopped working. We were pretty poor, so we went to stay at my grandmother's down the street for the summer til the AC was back up. Despite getting a new system when one came out, my family was pretty poor. One of those "spend the money or it disappears" kinda families. New systems came with tax returns usually. Anyway, our house was a fucking mess. Pretty awful. I won't go into details, but it was a pretty stereotypical poor people house. My grandmother owned a swimming pool company, who hired some of the shadiest assholes in town. These guys went into our house to fix the ac, while also clean it up. I should have been more careful and take my stuff with me, I didn't know we were staying at my GM's the whole damn summer though. We go to check on the house after about a month, place is cleaner alright. Bastards stole my N64 and first Gameboy color. I was pretty livid then. On to the next batch!

Gameboy color #2 w/pokemon silver- I wasn't a gameboy fanatic, pokemon was pretty much the sole reason I owned one. I played the shit out of those games. I got my moneys worth out of them. So this was 8th grade, people start to bring their gameboys to school (you see where this is goin?) so I brought mine of course. We're in class and like 3 of us have our games out playing them, comparing shit, when our teacher only catches me with mine and asks for it, I can get it after school. Fuck. Well ok, Ill just get it after school right? So school ends, I hurry to class and am like "hey bitch where's my Gameboy!??" (not really). He's like ok lemme get it. He starts digging through his drawers. Digging. Digging. "hmmm" I get worried.

"Well I don't have it" You don't have it?! You don't fucking have it?!!! you asshole coach teaching science.... I was pissed. Still am. I should have done something more. Sure nothing probably would have happened, but the fact was some kid, broke into this teacher's desk and stole my shit. Didn't say anything then cause 8th grade was a bitch already, and you have this feeling of tininess in junior high that goes unmatched for the rest of your school days. So long Gameboy #2. Sorry I didn't speak up. Onward!

My first Gamecube- While I currently do own a gamecube, I had one when it launched. My new one was bought last year. I lost my old one when we needed money. I let my mom pawn it, it at least would have a chance coming back to us.. maybe. I didn't expect to see it again though. Pawned. But not forgotten.

ps1/ps2- them shits broke. new gen came. them shits broke. no fancy story here.

PS3's 1, 2 , and 3.- Yellow light of death on each one of those. I am now on my 4th PS3 which is a slim. Here's to hoping it lasts!

so many words

• Upvote 1

holy crap, this was a tragedy across decades of lost systems...so many assholes gypped you man, sorry to hear all this axels

you can totally play my shit during sleepovers but you're using the 2nd controller by mad catz

ps i only recently reacquired the genesis/sega CD and such, i sold all of mine (40-50 SMS and as many for Genesis) when i went bankrupt about 10 years back, the rest of it should mostly be original stuff...the SNES was LL's after mine died, the Saturn's quite recent and the NES was new in the box, traded that one off of Panch!

Spaceworld should really come back

honestly, Iwata just added a title & made himself CEO of NOA, and...i know he's not everyone's favorite but i like the guy, and NOA has been useless for a while now, so i cant see it doing any worse. this decision...we'll see how it pans out. i'm kind've of two minds on it:

1) yeah, the hardcore want a strong E3 presense - they've confirmed playable 3D mario (prolly kart as well) there but this cements not expecting big announcements there

2) they like controlling the dialogue, and the western press hasn't been big on them for a bit, hence them reclaiming it with their nintendo directs. overall, i know its mainly us fans that watch them, but it's hard for me to see how much has changed on the media's end - every gaming blog/site still races to publish articles on their unveilings.

they have to know that most anything they show is gonna be overshadowed by official debuts of PS4 & nextbox setups/launch details, so sidestepping all of that and trying to keep their own momentum is very much in line with their post-gamecube philosophy. whether or not it's for the better, i guess that'll be seen like 6 months or so from now, but i can kinda see why they'd do it & just leave e3 for user impressions of said demos, which again many sites will still likely line up to post. i mean, even if they did drop something big like whatever Retro's up to, it could still be somewhat drowned out, hard to think of anything they currently have up their sleeve that'd withstand the tide.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I'd love to see in the next gen though it's probably too late now is easily breakaway controller casings allowing for easy swapouts of analogue sticks and maybe buttons/triggers and at the very least d-pad. I envisage some kind of pared down hardware with the casing breaking away in maybe 2-4 pieces.

They'd probably make more selling limited edition casings, custom themed sticks & triggers than they do already selling complete controllers.