Hondo's Bar

Gaming Blargh/random bits

bishopcruz

I did have a X-box at one point. That thing was just sitting there never being used because IT WAS A WORTHLESS COUNSEL. Sorry but 4-5 games does not make a KILLER system.

Cowboy mentioned some of hte great sega titles that made the Xbox more than worth it.

Others off the top of my had that the Xbox had were, KOTOR 1 and 2, absolutely badass, Jade Empire, Fable, Crimson Skies, Gun Griffon (one of the best Sega games for the system).

That's more than 5 right there.

It's funny you say you never used it newtype, because the Xbox got FAR more play in my place than anything else. We have all three consoles here, and the only time I was really using the PS2 was when I wanted to play some of the more esoteric JRPGs like Shin Megami Tensei.

Not to mention, like the SNES the Xbox had the advantage of generally being the better of any multiplatform releases. Max Payne 1 and 2 are LOADS better on Xbox than they were on PS2, as were the Splinter Cells.

Some of these games may not be your cup'o'tea but to call the Xbox, a worthless console, is pretty damn unfair.

Edited by bishopcruz

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had only 4 games for that system and the only 2 games I beat were Fable an Halo. I stopped play after a while. KOTOR and Jade Empire I never beat cause I just didn't waste time with this system anymore. After sitting there for 2 months I sold it. I was glad to be rid of it.

August 4, 2006 - Though it seems to have been up for some time, Sony has updated its official PlayStation 3 FAQ page to answer an all-important question: Being as the PlayStation 3 is 100% (or nearly at least) backwards-compatible, how will PSone/PS2 saves work with the system, if at all? The answer not only explains how it'll work, but announces a new peripheral.

Sony, and likely third-party manufacturers as well, will release a memory card adaptor that allows you to connect your PSone/PS2 Memory Cards to your PlayStation 3, supposedly via USB or a Memory Stick slot. PSone/PS2 data will need to be copied onto the PS3's hard drive and onto a "virtual memory card". Data can then be copied back to a solid Memory Card for use on a standard PSone/PS2.

So no, you won't need to start your RPGs all over again on the PS3.

Good to know. For when I buy this 2-3 years down the line.

yeah, Sony is periphrial king. You buy a system, that's it, youre lucky if you get a demo disc.

2nd controller, memory card, memory card adapter for PS2, godforbid youre one of those few multitap kids...youre lookin at up to another $100 right out the box.

yeah, Sony is periphrial king. You buy a system, that's it, youre lucky if you get a demo disc.

2nd controller, memory card, memory card adapter for PS2, godforbid youre one of those few multitap kids...youre lookin at up to another $100 right out the box.

So very true. Which is why I don't care for right now. If your going to force me to pay $500-$600 for a system then you better throw in some free shit.

I had only 4 games for that system and the only 2 games I beat were Fable an Halo. I stopped play after a while. KOTOR and Jade Empire I never beat cause I just didn't waste time with this system anymore. After sitting there for 2 months I sold it. I was glad to be rid of it.

So, basically you never gave the system a fair shake. Considering that there were a ton of great games for it, that would probably have been more up your alley that you NEVER even tried, I'm wondering how you coujld call it a waste. I'm guessing it is the general Microsoft hate that seems to lurk under the skin of a lot of gamers.

I had the system and a few games. How am I not giving it a fair shake. What was I going to do. Keep it and letting it take up space after I stopped using it. You can talk about how great of a systm it was but I hated that thing and it has nothing to do with it being from Microsoft. I just found it to be useless.

any system that gets that much support from Sega cant be all crap; you had Shenmue II, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future or whatever, and Ninja Gaiden wasnt bad either.

i already named more games that system had (with the halos) than my Sega CD did (uh, Sonic CD, the Lunars, and...make my video starring Kriss Kross). Not a killer system either, but not crap.

For me, what the system's lacking (and hopefully the 360'll work on this) is things like japanese RPGs and strong exclusives, which Dead Rising might be.

Yeah but that's still:

Halo (which you can also get on PC)

Halo 2

Shenmue 2 (heh, sailors)

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Jet Set Radio (Not as good as Jet Grind Radio)

Armed and Dangerous (iff)

I am not going to buy a system with 6 games that I want to play, 4 of which came out at pretty much the time of realease, or not too long after. Glorified paperweight I says.

depends on the games.

N64, i got mario, 2 zeldas, and 007. i didnt particularly like mario kart as much as the SNES version, and didnt play shit else that i dug...Shadow of the Empire, StarFox, Castlevania, eh to all of them.

But that's 4 games, and i got my money's worth out of that system, personally. i guess it depends on how much you want from it.

ps wasnt saying Gaiden was Sega, just added it on at the end. But Gaiden does kick Shinobi's ass.

Yeah but that's still:

Halo (which you can also get on PC)

Halo 2

Shenmue 2 (heh, sailors)

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Jet Set Radio (Not as good as Jet Grind Radio)

Armed and Dangerous (iff)

I am not going to buy a system with 6 games that I want to play, 4 of which came out at pretty much the time of realease, or not too long after. Glorified paperweight I says.

I'll give to Shenmue 2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta but as for the others meh.

depends on the games.

N64, i got mario, 2 zeldas, and 007. i didnt particularly like mario kart as much as the SNES version, and didnt play shit else that i dug...Shadow of the Empire, StarFox, Castlevania, eh to all of them.

But that's 4 games, and i got my money's worth out of that system, personally. i guess it depends on how much you want from it.

ps wasnt saying Gaiden was Sega, just added it on at the end. But Gaiden does kick Shinobi's ass.

I did love my 64 up till it got stolen but Nintendo messed up by not going with the disk drive. Face it alot games were high price. The few game it did have worth owning are still the best.

Bull... the Halo's rocked.

Manhunt too.

Halo single player just didn't do it for me after beating the game. The co-op and multiplayer were the balls however.

Manhunt came out on the PS2 also.

There are times, albeit rare, when gaming industry news can warm the cockles of the coldest gamer heart. This is one of those times.

A judge has ordered the state of Illinois to pony up attorney fees for the ESA's recent battle against that states' ludicrous and now-defunct anti-gaming legislation. The penalty? $510,528.64 in hard-earned taxpayer dollars, squandered by foolish state politicos in an ill-advised attack on the gaming industry and free-speech principles. Assuming that the states' cost for their own legal representation was somewhere in that vicinity, that's a cool mil of Illinois treasure wasted - for nothing.

Douglas Lowenstein, President of the ESA, said "Judge Kennelly's rulings send two irrefutable messages -- not only are efforts to ban the sale of violent video games clearly unconstitutional, they are a waste of taxpayer dollars. The sad fact is that the State of Illinois knew this law was unconstitutional from the beginning. Taxpayers have a right to know that over half a million of their dollars and countless government hours were thrown away in this fruitless effort." To anecdotally quote an older system admin a friend of mine knows, "that's owned with a zero". Owned, indeed.

They say idle hands are a tool of the devil. Idle politicians, therefore, must be the tool of the stupid.

In case we have any Star Trek fans other then crimsonfire.

Bethesda Softworks' Star Trek: Legacy will feature voice talent from all five Star Trek series captains -- William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Scott Bakula, Avery Brooks, and Kate Mulgrew.Star Trek: Legacy recieves voice talent from series captains.

According to Bethesda, the collaboration marks the first time all five actors have worked on one Star Trek project together. Shatner expressed his delight to be working with his fellow captains and Bethesda on such a momentous project celebrating the 40th anniversary of Star Trek.

In development for the Xbox 360 and PC, Star Trek: Legacy is scheduled for a fall 2006 release.

In a Q&A session during GameStop's quarterly financial conference call, David Carlson, executive VP and CFO of the company explained the amount of Wii and PS3 units he expects to hit US shores for the consoles' Q4 launches.

"...We're looking at around a million units of PS3 in the US, which is somewhere around half or less than what Sony has said [would ship worldwide]," he said. "With the Wii, we're looking at around 750,000 in the US. We believe at this point, that could be a light number. It's hard to say, though. We remain conservative until they actually show up at our warehouse."

GameStop vice chairman and COO Dan DeMatteo added, "We're not going to take pre-orders until we have some more and clearer information from both Nintendo and Sony in terms of likely launch quantities for GameStop. We don't want to do what we did last year, which was to take way too many [pre-orders] on the 360, and then under-deliver. We want to get closer to keeping a promise to the consumer."

GameStop expects Nintendo to divulge Wii launch figure information sometime this month, but the company's not too sure when Sony will reveal numbers. "We'll know Nintendo's [Wii launch numbers] before Sony's," said DeMatteo.

Analysts also inquired what would happen if PS3 launch quantities fell short of expectations. "[Last year,] the 360 in short supply had an effect of freezing the market," said DeMatteo. "But if you look at it, there wasn't anything new. I mean, there weren't any new platforms out there, so the 360 was the newest thing in the last four or five years. This year, there will be a Wii and there will be a 360, so I can't believe that it will have the same kind of impact that the 360 [shortages] had."

The hardware-filled holidays could spell trouble for any manufacturer that can't meet demand. As DeMatteo said, consumers will have more options this holiday if their system of choice is sold out.

Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 is the upcoming compilation from Capcom that features another dose of retro titles from the veteran developer's storied back catalog. The game will feature 20 titles: 1941, Avengers, Black Tiger, Block Block, Captain Commando, Eco Fighters, Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, Last Duel, Mega Twins, Magic Sword, Quiz and Dragons, Side Arms, The Speed Rumbler, Street Fighter, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Strider, Three Wonders, Tiger Road, and Varth. If you're familiar with Capcom's PlayStation Portable incarnation of the compilation or last year's console game, this may all sound familiar; however, there've been some notable additions to the lineup, as well as some increased functionality, that helps give the game some appeal.