Hondo's Bar

Movie & TV Blargh

On 3/1/2018 at 7:18 AM, Iambaytor said:

There's nothing to build on.  Men in Black has even less character to hold onto than Ghostbusters did and bringing in old characters or actors is just going to be baggage that weighs it down.  There's no sense in looking backwards.

Ah dunno 'bout there being 'no sense in looking backward'.

An fx-heavy comedy series (that works / worked) w/ that 'aliens among us' and 'these dudes or gals are the only line of defense' - is delicious and ripe w/ potential...'specially when it's essentially structured to have a revolving door of new / fresh cast members / leads.  That's gold.  Sure, formulaic - but the entire premise is already kinda formulaic.

Ghostbusters - a big bad will show up and the Ghostbusters are the only ones who can save the world.

Retelling and reintroducing the same concept in 'a fresh new way' (instead of a comedy - it's now a serious drama) is...just...why?  If it ain't broke...y'know?

Expand the brand / build on what's been established.  It's super hard to find a story worth telling that takes place in a previously established universe...sure, but - it's not like the MiB or Ghostbusters narrative had written itself into a corner.

If it's well done, a sequel should stand on it's own - w/out having a need to see the previous films...I'm talking specifically 'bout films like MiB n' GB...flash in the pan / 'here we go' again comedies.

There is lots a sense in having fun cameos and having a much loved comedy film series 'continue'.

Remaking 'Ghostbusters' was a horrible idea - from the start.  You can't do what they did in '84 again.  It can't happen.  I'd have pushed for a Ghostbusters 3 - just like I'd push for a 'not remake' / 'reboot' of MiB.

Each sequel (in these specific IPs) - in it's way - should inherently already be a soft reboot.  Same exact premise - different circumstances, different characters...and the kinda ridiculous silliness / type of humor expected from these respective brands.  Remakes can be interesting exercises in creativity - but, if it ain't broke...and works...why not have fun w/ it?

Yes, it's a great concept but the greatness of the concept is in newness.  But the sequels decided to riff on the first and they sucked, the animated series plowed bravely ahead and while it wasn't great it was certainly better than the movies after the first.  Jay, Kay, the worms, the pug, Jeebes, there's nothing there and it's a mistake to try and recapture it.  Comedy is not an essential part of the formula but it'll be there whether they say it will or not.

• Like 1

I agree to scrap all that - and introduce a whole new batch of characters...but, keeping the 'setting / universe' all somewhat tethered - I'd personally like that.

A darker version of Ghostbusters or MiB (I guess their animated counterparts would qualify as kinda going that way) - would definitely be cool...but, maybe as a spin-off?

If you're gonna reboot either series outright - that'd be the direction I'd think they should take it...don't 'remake' it - and try to 'do it again' -a fantastic introductory film is already there - in both cases.

Both IPs are totally set up for 'another one' - that different creatives can call their own.  To me, both IPs have soft-reboot buttons hardwired in.  There's no real reason why GB3 couldn't have 4 female leads.

I could totally see a passionate vision end up not 'fitting' w/ the previous films...that instills utter faith in just rebooting the IP.  Okay...but, I'd like a vision bigger than 'it's hard to write a sequel...let's just remake it.'  Any 'sequel' w/ these things can be 'new' - w/ good writing.

Reboot if you're gonna reinvent the wheel - and know it's gonna work.  Seriously, these film premises are super simple and silly - if you're gonna kill what works - let it be for a good reason.  Being different, doesn't automatically make it awesome-sauce success.

• 3 weeks later...

Netflix Originals Are Now Banned From Competition At Cannes Film Festival

The Palme d'Or is the highest prize awarded at the Cannes film festival, which means Netflix films won't be eligible to receive one or any other prizes.

“Last year, when we selected these two films [Bong Joon-ho's Okja and Noah Baumbach's The Meyerowitz Stories], I thought I could convince Netflix to release them in cinemas. I was presumptuous, they refused.”

"The Netflix people loved the red carpet and would like to be present with other films. But they understand that the intransigence of their own model is now the opposite of ours. We have to take into account the existence of these powerful new players: Amazon, Netflix and maybe soon Apple. We’ll defend the image of a risk-prone festival, questioning the cinema, and we must be at the table every year.”

really don't get the gatekeeping here 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Axels said:

Brooklyn 99 cancelled... I thought it actually had an audience. Damn.

Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuh!!! I still haven't even finished the current season. ? This along with The Last Man On Earth are my favorite sit-coms currently, and FOX axed them both.

This is especially brutal considering TLMOE had a heck of a cliffhanger for the S4 finale. Hopefully Netflix comes to the rescue and gets it a fifth season.

Jesus. Fox goes and cancels Brooklyn 99, Last Man on Earth, The Mick AND Lucifer, but don't worry cause they are bringing back Last Man Standing with Tim Allen.

Honestly, I just didn't have time to dedicate to Lucifer anymore, but I never hated the show. It was fun for what it was, but I wish it grew a little more as it went on. Never watched The Mick, but I heard it gets really good. I may have to pick that up when I'm caught up with Superstore.

• 2 months later...

John Wick/Deadpool 2 Director Plans to Shoot Career in the Foot by Remaking 'Enter the Dragon'

Hot off Deadpool 2, David Leitch is in early talks to direct Enter the Dragon, the remake of the 1973 martial arts classic that cemented Bruce Lee’s iconic status. The original was a global hit out of Hong Kong, but its release was marked with tragedy as it came right after Lee’s death. The 45th anniversary of his death on July 20, 1973 was last Friday. They will now set a writer.

giphy.webp

• Confused 1