Hondo's Bar

Man, I feel sorry for the guy, thinking he's Byche reborn and seeing some ratner-wannabe turn LXG into Batman & Robin. I'm more referring to his longstanding fued with DC over intellectual rights of Miracleman and an interview where he claimed to write off Marvel completly for not acknowledging his genius.

That's also very true, that has always been a complaint with many artists and writers for the big Comic Companies. They are not adequately compensated and recognized for the work they do for the characters and comics. They push the product over the creators unless it might sell some issues.

One of the feuds Alan Moore and David Gibbons had with DC was that DC made these happy face Comedian buttons about 10 years ago, and DC did not compensate them for them, they said they "promotional items" not "retail items". I am sure that Marvel and DC dot every i and cross every t to make a profit. Creating for the big companies is a double-edged sword. You get the audience and the great characters to work for, but you are just a cog in a giant machine.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

haha, yeah really must suck to not have invested years of your childhood reading shitty books and having the rest of us filter out the best of the best for you to read. poor, poor shane.

The key is to go in without expectation, which is pretty bloody hard given the amount of credit it gets.

It harnessed electricity for man, y'see.

The key is to go in without expectation, which is pretty bloody hard given the amount of credit it gets.

It harnessed electricity for man, y'see.

i read watchmen in july of '06, i had never heard a thing about it, had never heard of alan moore and besides preacher had never read or seen a vertigo book.

it is in my opinion one the top 5 greatest books ever written

Edited by alive she cried

Everything Alan Moore writes turns to gold. He creates intelligent works that stir and stimulate the mind. Pure beauty. From original works, to resurrecting others, he is a genius. I drool over everything he does.

i read watchmen in july of '06, i had never heard a thing about it, had never heard of alan moore and besides preacher had never read or seen a vertigo book.

it is in my opinion one the top 5 greatest books ever written

See?! Without expactation & hype, this book stands a chance.

I was like 70% kidding, I think some people just tend to overlook flaws in things when they've been told it's awesome and it's written by someone whom they've always been lead to believe is perfect in their work.

I was like 70% kidding, I think some people just tend to overlook flaws in things when they've been told it's awesome and it's written by someone whom they've always been lead to believe is perfect in their work.

well 30% of me was extremely offended.

also i know where you're coming from *cough*endofprecher*cough*

but in this case i just happen to know that you're wrong and i'm right :sarcasm:

Truedat. Certainly in cases like Preacher too there's less a preconception so much as, you love the sotry so much you'll either develop expectation(like Baytor, ASC and co) or waive it and forgive it it's minor sins(me, NZA, etc). Obviously ASC is simply looking out for his (former) Beard Brother. Course he doesn't realise that since shaving he's officially dead to ALan Moore.

I was of the camp that Alan Moore could do no wrong, then I read Promethia and said "Oh my God, this guy is just shitting the contents of a dictionary onto paper" and then I read Swamp Thing and that was the deal sealer for me.

Oh come on man, pick your battles, Promethia was Moore's ego in print and his run on Swamp Thing ruined the character.

I haven't read Swamp Thing myself, but a friend of mine would beg to differ, and say that Moore saved the character.

Swamp Thing was a pulp character, Alan Moore turned him into a Deus ex machina, and a boring one at that. You really stop caring about a character whenever he becomes an unstoppable godlike force of nature and with no sense of human emotion and no real problems to be faced.

i agree with metal heart, alan moore did save swamp thing, and really developed the character into much more than just a pulp charater. sales were bad before moore and when he came in, moores writing brought it into the mainstream of comics. i will admit it did get a little toned down especially with the love story, but moore did keep the horrow element intact while integrating a more ecological and spiritual apect to the character.

I don't know I saw what they did with Swamp Thing at DC and I saw what they did with Man-Thing at Marvel and sure he doesn't have his own series anymore (though neither does Swamp Thing) but his story still felt like a horror comic, when Moore started out he had something good going for him but then it just descended into shit

:crunk:

Good lord please explain the link between Swampthing & V(aside from author of course). I was making a cheap pun regarding Swampthing being a plant-based... And roots like from a... Sorry man, I guess I overshot that one.

FYI- saw the movie and didn't read the book, and it thrilled me more than something political-based should have.

:crunk:

Good lord please explain the link between Swampthing & V(aside from author of course). I was making a cheap pun regarding Swampthing being a plant-based... And roots like from a... Sorry man, I guess I overshot that one.

FYI- saw the movie and didn't read the book, and it thrilled me more than something political-based should have.

oh i get it now :duh:

but you have'nt read v? in the words of moe "WHHAAAAAAAA?"

the book is far, far superior, personally i was'nt as impressed with the movie as others here are.

way too much superhero, not enough anarchy

:???:

You talking about the Man-Thing movie, or the Swamp-Thing movie(s)?