Hondo's Bar

Gears of War 2

bishopcruz

Just realized that there wasn't a thread for this bitch.

AWESOME fucking game, much better than the first in every concievable way. While the first game was a blast, and the stop 'n' pop gameplay was great, I hadn't been particularly psyched for the 2nd. When I grabbed it on the 7th though I have to say it impressed the shit out of me.

What really makes this game stand out is the gobsmackingly awesome level design. No two acts feel alike, and they are each filled with amazing set pieces, and areas that were painstakingly designed to have varied and amazing combat in. This game is possibly the best paced game of the year, it has no filler and ramps up at an amazing pace.

Played some Coop with Skeet (Yojimbo my ass) and CU Space Cowboy earlier this week.

I definitely want to get some Hondos syle Horde mode going on, that shit is too fun.

I cosign Bish's post completely. Horde is the most fun can be had online right now, and I'd love to get a group on for it. Campaign was suprisingly fun too, but shorter than expected and the boss fight wasn't anywhere near as terrible as Gen. Raam.

... So Bish- have you tried more than single splitscreen? With Shane coming back tonight & Tom(Armed Mothman) coming over sunday I wanna try 3 player horde action. You & Angel wanna jump on? What wave are you on regardless?

Haven't played that much horde honestly, between school and ME, I need to get back to GoW2, still trying to beat the game on insane, I'm at the end of act 3 right now.

Hopefully will have a bit more time this weekend.

Sucks that you can't split the screen more than once, sucks even worse that somehow this shitty NXE didn't notify me I had a message from Spacecowboy asking if he could join, which we woulda gladly taken because clearly Horde is designed for more than 2 players.

• 1 year later...

honest question: is Gears 1/2 solo campaign worth going through?

kinda cleaning up my backlog, looking to milk more of bish's library and having run through Halo 3 recently, it became plainly obvious to me i was doing it wrong by not playing it co-op. i suspect it wouldve greatly enhanced Crackdown as well, which wasnt bad but like most sandbox games, i ended up putting it down.

i played through the first level or two on gears 1 a while back, so i know the dialogue is banal and given the genre, do not expect much in way of story - but was it at least fun? Modern Warfare 1, what i played of it, had an alright single player, i keep hearing that's not true of 2. just curious if i should leave these games alone till i can work out some co-op and justify live gold.

honest question: is Gears 1/2 solo campaign worth going through?

kinda cleaning up my backlog, looking to milk more of bish's library and having run through Halo 3 recently, it became plainly obvious to me i was doing it wrong by not playing it co-op. i suspect it wouldve greatly enhanced Crackdown as well, which wasnt bad but like most sandbox games, i ended up putting it down.

i played through the first level or two on gears 1 a while back, so i know the dialogue is banal and given the genre, do not expect much in way of story - but was it at least fun? Modern Warfare 1, what i played of it, had an alright single player, i keep hearing that's not true of 2. just curious if i should leave these games alone till i can work out some co-op and justify live gold.

No.

wahwahwah. My Name's Alex and an xbox touched me in the place I was saving for Will Wright

NZA- Yeah. It's fun for what it is. Splitscreen co-op is actually pretty rewarding too, so if you can rope someone into playing wingman, it's a good couple of games to scratch off your list and won't take overly long either.

yeah, see, that's the thing - i play a lotta solo stuff offline, and i know i wanna get around to these eventually, just...im thinking, should i just wait till im online and have a hondonian to co-op with? cause i imagine my halo 3 experience woudlve been a lot better that way, id hate to do that with this series too.

yeah, see, that's the thing - i play a lotta solo stuff offline, and i know i wanna get around to these eventually, just...im thinking, should i just wait till im online and have a hondonian to co-op with? cause i imagine my halo 3 experience woudlve been a lot better that way, id hate to do that with this series too.

Are you going to force me to play this when I visit you at work.

Gears of War 2 was your "surprise of the year"? For real? Are you on drugs, or just living in a cave? Though to be fair, being on drugs while living in a cave could actually be a lot of fun. I mean, really, unless you manage to climb so far in that you can't get back out again, it should be pretty difficult to hurt yourself. Unless there are bears. Bears are dangerous and they can rip you limb from limb, and then skullfuck your corpse with their bear peni. Penises? Something like that. I don't like bears. Bears scare me in ways that I don't really understand, because one time at the zoo when I was a little kid, I saw two bears doing it and it was horrible. I think I cried the rest of the day. I cried a lot when I was a little kid, like that time grandma got hit by a car on her birthday and broke her hip and there was so much blood and she went to the hospital for three weeks. She lived though, and man did she sue that jackass all the way to hell.

To sum, I don't like bears.

Ah, your hate sustains me. Bitter tears.

Series has the best 3rd person cover oriented combat around. But keep sniping, it gives me a happy.

My "surprise of the year" is the fact that you think this was the best game this year.

Did not say it was the best game of 2008, just the best paced. Which it was. Damn fine and fun game.

Ah, your hate sustains me. Bitter tears.

Series has the best 3rd person cover oriented combat around. But keep sniping, it gives me a happy.

Did not say it was the best game of 2008, just the best paced. Which it was. Damn fine and fun game.

Uncharted did it better.

You say the Funniest things sometimes.

Uncharted 1 was nowhere near as good in combat. Seriously, AI, controls and the fact that your weapons felt like they shot dirt. Awesome.

Still it was a fun game, loved the platforming. And Uncharted 2 was SO MUCH BETTER in combat, though the AI was still lousy.

Still, it's fun looking into that alternate world where Gears is a PS3 exclusive and you love it to death.

But in this world I am certain you never actually played it.

Uncharted 1 was nowhere near as good in combat. Seriously, AI, controls and the fact that your weapons felt like they shot dirt. Awesome.

Still it was a fun game, loved the platforming. And Uncharted 2 was SO MUCH BETTER in combat, though the AI was still lousy.

Still, it's fun looking into that alternate world where Gears is a PS3 exclusive and you love it to death.

But in this world I am certain you never actually played it.

Because the combat in gears WAS SO MUCH BETTER and the A.I worked real well. :whatsthat:

And I stopped playing gears once I made it to the train because I realized I had better games to play.

Archived