Hondo's Bar

The Death of Batman?

Silent Bob

Saw this on IMDb today:

Batman is set to be killed off after 70 years of crime-fighting - in the comic book which created the cartoon superhero.

Rumours are rife that in the next issue of DC Comics' Batman, published on Thursday, Bruce Wayne will meet a grisly end.

The latest Batman movie, The Dark Knight, starring Christian Bale as Wayne, was a box office smash this year and another film is said to be in the offing - but it appears the comic book equivalent has now run its course.

The Bruce Wayne character is now expected to retire from his duties, perhaps leading to a new Batman or an entirely different superhero to take his place.

First I've heard of it. Has anyone else heard this?

Well, no, of course it won't stick. I mean, aside from maybe Bruce Wayne's own parents, are there any superhero comic deaths that have actually stayed dead by now? But as gimmicky as they were, I was a big fan of those Death of Superman and Knightfall type storylines that allowed the writers to fuck around with the status quo for a while. And after so many bloated universe-spanning "events" that both publishers have been doing for the past few years, I'd love to see a big event that actually stayed focused with one character again. If they're really planning to do it (as soon as the next issue? I don't know about that) then I really hope they have a good plan for it and a good writer working on it.

Saw this on IMDb today:

First I've heard of it. Has anyone else heard this?

Grant Morrison's been doing a big Batman: R.I.P story build-up for the last few months but I just flat-out ignored it for hyperbole. If it's for real, Bruce Wayne's prolly gonna become the new Hal Jordan or someshit(ie the Spectre/ wherever a Deus Ex is required outside of continuity clean-ups). Makes me fucking sad when creators hit that wall where they feel the only stories left to tell are posthumous. I think everyone wishes death weren't so frigging trivial in comics.

Arch- Re Cap- the body's barely in the ground and we've had 3(to my count Punisher, Bucky & whatsisname- the unstable 70's version/burns victim) pretenders to the throne. Give it time man, it's gonna be a damned good writer to make that return credible.

i doubt it. She's been dead for a good long while now, and Summers has moved on to bigger and better breasts.

Maybe they'll have a chance to make her interesting without her being shackled to Cyclops.

Death in comics tends to not take very well, after all. So I suspect they'll eventually bring Bruce back somehow. I know DC loves the retcon, but there's plenty of future storylines out there that have him living to an old age.

Grant Morrison's been doing a big Batman: R.I.P story build-up for the last few months but I just flat-out ignored it for hyperbole. If it's for real, Bruce Wayne's prolly gonna become the new Hal Jordan or someshit(ie the Spectre/ wherever a Deus Ex is required outside of continuity clean-ups).

Yeah, upon further reading I found that the storyline's been going since May. Shows how much I pay attention to monthly comics these days. Anyone here read any of it? I'm willing to give it some faith on Morrison's behalf, but what I've seen of the art is disappointing.

Makes me fucking sad when creators hit that wall where they feel the only stories left to tell are posthumous.

Really? Come on, man, if this was the big event death of Booster Gold or something, sure, but Bats has been a flagship character for 70 years. After that long, I don't think that finally wanting to try a genuine death storyline falls under "hitting a wall". I'm amazed it took this long.

I think everyone wishes death weren't so frigging trivial in comics.

It doesn't piss me off that much when it's a major character. We know they're going to come back eventually.. There's too much history behind so many of these characters and they're too integral to the balance of the universe that each publisher has created to leave them gone for long. I think it would suck if Marvel never brought Captain America back, for instance. I'd love to see them play around with a new status quo of having him dead for as long as they can (which usually doesn't seem to be as long as I'd like) but I think it'd be terrible if he was gone for good, he's too good of a character. Same goes with Bats.

The resurrections that piss me off are the secondary characters whose death was a major influence on the major characters. People like Gwen Stacy, Jason Todd, Karen Page - these people should stay dead because their death is so integral to what makes the main character. So it pisses me off when they come back just for shock value.

Arch- Re Cap- the body's barely in the ground and we've had 3(to my count Punisher, Bucky & whatsisname- the unstable 70's version/burns victim) pretenders to the throne. Give it time man, it's gonna be a damned good writer to make that return credible.

I think we'll be lucky to make it through 2009 before Cap comes back.

Like I said, I loved events like Knightfall (and KnightsEnd) and The Death of Superman. And what I liked so much about them was that by taking that drastic step of completely removing the main character, it opened up a whole new set of options for the storyline. I don't think either of them were especially well-written, but it was a whole lot of fun to see what would happen if a complete psychotic took up the Batman mantle (as opposed to a mild psychotic like Bruce), or to see the four Superman imposters try to make a name for themselves in the Superman books. As convoluted and ridiculous as it was, even seeing Ben Reilly swinging around as a new Spider-man for a while was interesting. And the best thing about these events is that the publishers had the balls to let them run for a little while before "restoring the balance". Today we have a new event every year and a couple months later, everything's back to normal again. I mean, Spidey revealed his secret identity in Civil War and it seemed like it was maybe three months before he was, what, making a deal with the devil to get the status quo back (obviously I didn't bother reading that story so I might be off)? That just sucks. The death of Batman could be awesome if DC has the guts to run with it for a while.

That whole Batman: R.I.P. storyline lost me pretty early. That story's been blowin' and sadly, it's cause of Morrison. BRUCE WAYNE'S DEATH WILL NOT STICK! That's even if they kill him at all. I've also heard that Bruce might just retire the mantle of Batman. Who the hell knows. If it happens, it'll be shocking, it'll make the news, it'll sell books, but don't think for a second that he ain't comin' back. He'll make it back just in time for the 3rd movie. Watch...

Really? Come on, man, if this was the big event death of Booster Gold or something, sure, but Bats has been a flagship character for 70 years. After that long, I don't think that finally wanting to try a genuine death storyline falls under "hitting a wall". I'm amazed it took this long.

You know what I wanna see more of? Future teen version comes back to kill protagonist that's infact evil ala Tony Stark. We're talking about a fantastical medium here where they can rewrite physics if readers could suspend their belief, but instead they feel the need to tug on our heartstrings with real-word tragedy(look to the effect the Death of Superman had on popular culture for the short time he was dead). Man, I'd love to see Batman dead with some kind Gulag warrior Bruce Wayne Son of Hulk standing over his corpse. Idunno, it just feels like the usual cheap readership grab is all.

The latest Batman movie, The Dark Knight, starring Christian Bale as Wayne, was a box office smash this year and another film is said to be in the offing - but it appears the comic book equivalent has now run its course.

What the fuck does it mean for a film to be in the offing?

Never heard of that and, well, those news are two things:

Awesome.

Sad.

You only needed one word there, my friends. Sawesome.

comic2-1269.png

They killed Aunt May too, then called it an alternate time line.

The thing is, there is too much money to be made with these characters to leave them dead. Steve Young will come back too, mark my words.

yeah, bat's a cash cow, even in this industry. be fun to see what grant's got in mind though.

Cap will be all Bru, they let him take him out and he's clearly building something for years here. But yeah, isnt there gonna be a cap film in '09? id put solid money on the return coinciding by then if not before. still, gits been great seeing the world without him. Hell, anyone reading Thor saw...something recently.

Jean's a running joke in the x-universe, theyve put it onto her phoenix rising/falling thing at this point. Last we saw her was Endsong, and she basically said "not yet" so yeah, i think theyre just gonna need some direction for her first before that. plus, Scott's finally getting some character without her.

Hell, anyone reading Thor saw...something recently.

I need to catch up on that. I heard someone else was doing that series. Any truth to that?

plus, Scott's finally getting some character without her.

Really? I would've thought it to be the other way around, when they bring her back.

nah, thor's still JMS + Copiel, which is doing wonders for it. hope it stays that way.

Scott's not Xavier; he's thinking tactically, and while them moving to san fran and building a fortress still feels like Warren Ellis on a bad day, i love what he's doing with X-Force as his black-ops team. He's recognized how serious shit is post-Messiah Complex and he's willing to take shit further, but not recklessly...he went from being a boy scout manservant to Chuck, to turning to a real leader. its not got too much to do with Emma, past the fac that she's willing to cross the line for him and be his pet psychic.

Sad. Very sad.

Give it time. At the very least, they'll bring Jean Grey back. Again.

WHAAAAA?!?!? i thought cyclops was married to white queen and jean grey was permanently pheonix...???

o ok.. nm i guess some1 established it in an earlier post.. the xmen series (solely my own opinion) has been goin downhill ever since jim lee dropped it.. i need sumthin to help me keep da faith obviously (i still havent read deadpool vs wolvie yet btw; shame on me)

anyway *ahem* Jack nicholson would never let that happen ..does he own just batman or DC? cuz if its just batman then hellz to da naw o_O...

I have to agree with the majority, it won't stick. Unless the writers are superheroes themselves and somehow manage to make the new batman even better than the last. I don't read batman, so I'm not sure I understand how Bruce can be

killed by his own father

, but I did some research and found this, which i thought was pretty interesting...scroll down to see article/review, also contains spoilers.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/120516914114987.htm

Archived