Hondo's Bar

Pray the Devil back to Hell

The NZA

PTD_badge_120x475.jpg

NPR did a bit with the main gal of this documentary today, and i heard enough to be interested, acquiring a copy now. Ill post thoughts when its done & viewed, just wanted to put it out there - concept was that Liberian women were overcoming horrible injustices from the warlords by displaying their numbers, withholding sex, and all kinds of more peaceful resistances.

Main site, where i believe this synopsis came from:

Pray the Devil Back to Hell chronicles the remarkable story of the courageous Liberian women who came together to end a bloody civil war and bring peace to their shattered country.

Thousands of women - ordinary mothers, grandmothers, aunts and daughters, both Christian and Muslim - came together to pray for peace and then staged a silent protest outside of the Presidential Palace. Armed only with white T-shirts and the courage of their convictions, they demanded a resolution to the country’s civil war. Their actions were a critical element in bringing about a agreement during the stalled peace talks.

A story of sacrifice, unity and transcendence, Pray the Devil Back to Hell honors the strength and perseverence of the women of Liberia. Inspiring, uplifting, and most of all motivating, it is a compelling testimony of how grassroots activism can alter the history of nations.

good ear there Nick. I'm definitely looking forward to watching this.

On a side note, this reminds me of a documentary I watched in class not to long ago called "crimes of honor" about the women of Jordan being murdered under the guise of "saving" their honor. That's right folks, women who are raped, or decide to run away from home because they do not want to have an arranged marriage (sometimes to first cousins) are MURDERED by their fathers and brothers in order to "preserve" their honor. Anyway, I will post a thread about this one and maybe links of where you view it online or something...

Archived