Hondo's Bar

Movie Critics

The NZA

Haven't you seen "I'm With Busey?"

Busey was pretty fucked up when he was high on cocaine, but once he got high on Jesus... maaaaaaan. He scared the fuck out of John McCain on Leno a few years ago and that man was in a Vietnamese prison camp.

Nope, never heard of "I'm w/ Busey." Was that another Vh1 reality show? I'll have to look for it online. Ditto goes for the Tonight Show appearance. They both seem to have high hilarity potential. And I'll agree, in his heyday Busey was pimp daddy most high of the crazy celebs, but currently I think Nolte edges him out.

And Al Pacino couldn't out-Godfather Marlon Brando, but no one really held it against him.

Man, I don't think that analogy applies here--that's apples and oranges there.

Nope, never heard of "I'm w/ Busey." Was that another Vh1 reality show? I'll have to look for it online.

It was probably the greatest thing that Comedy Central has ever done. It was about this guy who was a huge Gary Busey fan and wanted him to be his mentor. It sadly only lasted a season but there were episodes dedicated to Gary explaining how he wanted to be cryogenically frozen and he had a kiddy pool and some tarps in a storage unit to do it in, there was one where they wandered around Oranger county composing a roadkill cookbook, and my personal favorite where they went on a "vision quest" in the desert which climaxed with Busey chasing the main character around the desert with a burning tree branch shouting Iraqi war cries.

Tropic Thunder notwithstanding Nolte's just a raspy drunk with descent acting skills.

• 2 weeks later...
It was probably the greatest thing that Comedy Central has ever done. It was about this guy who was a huge Gary Busey fan and wanted him to be his mentor. It sadly only lasted a season but there were episodes dedicated to Gary explaining how he wanted to be cryogenically frozen and he had a kiddy pool and some tarps in a storage unit to do it in, there was one where they wandered around Oranger county composing a roadkill cookbook, and my personal favorite where they went on a "vision quest" in the desert which climaxed with Busey chasing the main character around the desert with a burning tree branch shouting Iraqi war cries.

Tropic Thunder notwithstanding Nolte's just a raspy drunk with descent acting skills.

OK, I know double posting is teh ghey, but I just found this:

http://defamer.com/5119912/defamers-2008-video-hall-of-shame *

Scroll down to the 4th video and see Nolte's Tonight Show appearance and tell me those aren't the INSANE ramblings of a Busey killa!

*I'd embed the video, but alas couldn't find out how in the fabled FAQ! :love:

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I was gonna start a new thread, but, eh, why not bump this dinosaur. Ebert went on Oprah. He looks like Gary Oldman in Red Dragon. Poor bastard. At least he's still writing reviews in the papers and online.

blog_ew_oprah_ebert_100301.jpg

Appearing on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" today, film critic Roger Ebert gave his Oscar predictions, said he felt "terrific," and would have "no more surgery": "I'm not going to talk or eat or drink again, so the surgery would be to patch my face back together… Nobody looks perfect. We have to find peace with the way we look and get on with life."

As you probably know by now, Ebert has lost his voice from thyroid cancer. He communicates through sign language and computer software that acts as his voice. He types out words and a computerized voice conveys them aloud.

Ebert's picks for the Oscars? He likes Kathryn Bigelow and "The Hurt Locker" for both best director and best picture. Best actor? Jeff Bridges. Sandra Bullock for best actress and Mo'Nique for best supporting actress. Christoph Waltz gets Ebert's backing for best supporting actor. Ebert noted that he couldn't remember an easier year to predict winners — a comment which, given the absence of "Avatar" on that list, may give James Cameron pause.

It was explained that Ebert consumes food through a feeding tube connected to his stomach. When Oprah asked if he missed eating, Ebert grabbed at the air as though he was selecting food items he'd love to chew on now.

Ebert's wife, Chaz, accompanied him. Footage was shown of Ebert and his wife attending a movie screening room in preparation for reviewing films. We were also shown some tape of new technology Ebert is working with that takes his own voice from many hours of his TV appearances and organizes it into words that he types.

When Winfrey said he was cancer-free, Ebert crossed his fingers. So should we all.

• 4 months later...

Great thread.

I have to side with Hakujin here, Ebert;s work as a critic is something I've enjoyed for the last ten years. He is the only movie critic that I have consistently read over the years that I have enjoyed and felt like I gained something for reading his work.

Great thread.

I have to side with Hakujin here, Ebert;s work as a critic is something I've enjoyed for the last ten years. He is the only movie critic that I have consistently read over the years that I have enjoyed and felt like I gained something for reading his work.

Whos_awesome.jpg

Archived