Hondo's Bar

Dark Reign

The NZA

I didn't so much want a monstrous ending to SI, I simply content there should be no 'end'. Unstable molecules are no explanation, nor does Reed's fucking 'reveal' gun hold any water. Folks shouldn't be just all 'well glad that's over' and on with their day. 4 years build-up for suck a small payoff....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mebbe. i tend to think the formula for wrapping things up these days is 1 semi-important body drops (to mark the event's close - christ knows you cant always take out a cap), general unease & transition to the next step, which by now has got to be Avengers Disassembled 5.0 or something. skipping past WW Hulk, i might be more optomistic/forgiving than you for trying to see this shit as parts of a whole, and bendis clearly isnt done yet. i again thought SI was gonna be the event that ended with a reunited avengers/reinstated Fury and obviously thats not happening, but DR looks more likely to be just that, with most all the players back on the field.

this isnt a pardon for things; dissasembled was still messy shit, HoM had its moments, and i dug it (still find it funny you cant get past the "hawkeye died for our sins & came back cause bendis said so" thing) but kinda dragged its nuts too, Civil War was awesome for me with a "huh?" ending for most, and yeah, SI was good fun but i cant argue with you that this well laid-out thing turned into a giant fist-fight with the Skrulls packing it up to get off the stage for the villains to start dancing. im a broken fucking record here, but its bendis, so im enjoying my moments, going for the ride and hoping to all fuck the "end", wherever its at, justifies the shark-jumping moments and all that mess.

i'm like an old man already romanticizing shit: SI for me was mainly the fun of New Avengers and that Alias throwback issue. Reed uh, he pulled that reveal-o-matic from his right pocket (ultimate nullifier's inna left).

Millar was mostly responsible for CW, which is why it was a little more immune to Bendisitis. Hate to be a corresponding broken record, but SI had such potential and left me sour as fuck. Sure they couldn';t indulge every little paranoia but still... This should've been it. Dark Reign built on the way Civil War was, with shit appearing in the normal monthlies setting the scene(no denying it hasn't happened but yeah- Salt the Earth you were playing with SI on to make way for this shoddy crap?) woulda been a great independant event. After months of 'Who do you trust?' and 'Accept Change' campaigning both in Marvel & the real world, I as a reader and pretend for a second to be a Marvel U inhabitiant don't see Supervillians as a threat since we know their intentions. I'd be worried about going home to *see above*.

• 2 weeks later...

i really do too, very much agreed.

youve got cap back around the helm (?) and danvers all but on board, no doubt pym when he's done mourning and such. bendis is clearly trying to unite the old & new avengers. its really cool to see, and the angle of luke cage running off to the bad guys - with his already tainted rep - is interesting but believable too.

NA is about my favorite book out & around these events. its consistently good, but for the most part, it felt like a giant mystery since the original "breakout" arc, right up to SI or so. it was fun, but now its fun and feels like a different direction that im digging.

• 2 months later...

Just read Dark Avengers #1, dug it more than I expected. I'll defenitely be picking up the 2nd one. How long do you people think these guys are going to be masquerading as others? I figure at some point in the near future Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man or Wolverine are gonna go "Um...huh? No."

Anyone else think The Iron Patriot looks a bit like SuperPro?

1237596682.jpg

1237667170.jpg

So this still looks like a POS gimmick, but my curiousity extents to this simple question: Is Dark Avengers just the highly indicative name of the book or are they infact, as a team being percieved in the Marvel U called 'The Dark Avengers?'.

So this still looks like a POS gimmick, but my curiousity extents to this simple question: Is Dark Avengers just the highly indicative name of the book or are they infact, as a team being percieved in the Marvel U called 'The Dark Avengers?'.

No, they're just "The Avengers" as far as the marvel U is concerned. Since Osborn is wearing Stark's shoes now, he's assembled a group of like-minded individuals. I see a lot of parallels with post-911 America here, but don't let that ruin the book for you.

Man, the Thunderbolts as an original idea was absolute gold. The years that followed with the are-they-aren't-they? BS just made it unreadable. Few high points being the return of the crazy bucky as Scourge & my boy Hawkeye stepping up to leadership & constantly fucking with Cap. The Ellis reinvention was well-written & a great idea if not terribly out of character for most of them(Gargan becoming the Symbiote's patsy, Speedball becoming the Bondage Queen, Radioactive Man suddenly being the quietly zen 'confuscious say' guy). I can't take the name Diggle seriously so I haven't looked to the new stuff, but then since I see he wrote for Vertigo that may be my loss.

Yeah by the Thunderbolts I mean the Civil War and beyond group. I miss the hell out of Citizen V, Mach-5, and Songbird.

And don't let the likes of Preacher, Exterminators, Y the Last Man, etc. fool you. Vertigo has actually put out a lot of shit. I mean they recognize a lot of better stuff but it's still DC comics we're talking about here.

What the hell ever became of the Beetle? From memory Citizen V was killed by Scourge, right?

Well, Citizen V was beheaded by Scourge/Nomad. Through some bullshit involving being injected with futuristic technology and brain switching he ended up in another body, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on with the Beetle post civil war.

That would be the

late Morgana LeFay

Nice one! She was my first thought, but wasn't she one of the Dark Illuminati?
Unfortunately, I'm relatively certain Marvel has a strict policy in place forbidding the violent

decapitation

of Leukemia patients.

Skewing their spines with metal & on again/off again granting them use of their legs, they clearly have no problem with though.

Nice one! She was my first thought, but wasn't she one of the Dark Illuminati?
Was she? I don't really remember that, but I could be totally wrong. Maybe you're thinking of Loki-with-a-cunt?Anywhoozle,

she had a bit of a falling out with

Dr. Doom (who I was really hoping was The Iron Patriot.)

Skewing their spines with metal & on again/off again granting them use of their legs, they clearly have no problem with though.
Yeah, that's fine. If Spider-Man wants to get all blubbery and jeopardize the safety of his family and loved ones by revealing his secret identity to his littlest "biggest fan" before the obsessive/compulsive little tyke dies a slow, painful lingering death, that's fine too. There are clear set rules and boundries in 616 concerning the use of cancer victims.
Is that why she has no hair? I always thought that it was because her father was Kratos Drax.
Nope. Cancer. She got it after she slipped Quasar a roofie and had her way, it turns out his spluge is a carcinogen.

• 3 months later...

OK, my humble thoughts on the little bit of this Dark Reign stuff I've read thus far. . .

Dark Avengers Issues 1-6 - Issue 7 just dropped this week but I haven't gotten to it. The whole time paradox thing

w/ Morgana La Fey "regenerating" herself from her past didn't really cut the mustard w/ me.

But I made the mistake of bringing this up w/ a fanboy at my local store and woe is me for doing so. Osborne flip-flopping w. his mind-games on Sentry will likely come back to bite him in the ass, although I'm sure that's an obvious point Bendis is trying to make plot-wise. I'm not a Bendis h8r or supporter--I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like. I think his work(over)load shows in the dialogue of this book more than anywhere else. Everyone sounds the same. Maybe Joey Q should let Bendis plot the story and have someone else handle cleaning up the dialogue and character beats. Didn't Stan Lee pretty much do that in his later years as a full-time writer?

Dark X-Men : The Beginning #1 (of 3) - I'm not buying into this Namor taking orders from Osborne thing. The logic of him only recruiting villains is so weak. it reeks of gimmick fail. At least Osborne was sane enough to have some "legit" heroes in Dark Avengers. As for this issue: all exposition and no action. I'm looking fwd to reading the Utopia X books just the same...

Dark Reign Elektra Issues 1-3 (of 5)- I was never the biggest Elektra fan, but this miniseries is great! Well paced w/ good action and of course in issue 3

Bullseye/Hawkeye makes an appearance.

The All New Savage She-Hulk Issues 1-3 (of 4)- This is a fun, fun miniseries. Issue #1 is a lot of exposition on where the "new" She-Hulk comes from. In a nutshell:

she's spliced from DNA of Thundra & Hulk and is sent from something like 6000 years in the future where all female clones rule the Earth on a mission.

That mission's true nature is revealed in a completely FTW!?!? moment on the last page of issue 3. In between she fights She-Hulk Jenn and Capt. Marvel of the Dark Avengers.

Dark Reign Hawkeye Issues 1&2 (of 5)- Read issue #1, skimmed #2 and skipped #3. Art is passable, but the story is laughable in a bad way. Apparently Bullseye wants credit as Bullseye and not as the "dark" Avenger Hawkeye. So he starts randomly killing people. The premise isn't far fetched at all considering what Bullseye really is, but this comes off as more of a miniseries that is simply meant to "shock" readers. Example: Bullseye (dressed as Hawkeye) saves a woman from being mugged,

kills the assailants, then stabs the woman in her eye with her pen when she asks for an autograph for her son.

Basically this is a watered down version of how one would imagine Garth Ennis would write such a miniseries.

The World's Most Wanted arc going on in Invincible Iron Man is also great stuff. I'm only on issue 10 (third in the arc) so far. I haven't read any of the New/Mighty Avengers stuff since Dark Reign began, but I will. Anyone got an opinion on Secret Warriors or War Machine? I skimmed through issue #1 of each and wasn't to impressed...

see, its funny...

mebbe im exhausted from events, but im treating this like a summer blockbuster, the way World War Hulk woudlve been if it didnt drag its nuts and end so...non-ending. so im enjoying this, and not thinking "why is namor playing ball? much less doom?" etc. Even Bullseye's antics in Dark Reign: Hawkeye are amusing, though not nearly a highlight.

that said, ive not touched Elektra or She-Hulk books. Mighty Avengers is alright if you're into the Hercules/amadeus cho characters that were running through Hulk recently, but a team lead by Pym with these guys feels like b-list central, its ok but nothing that stands out for me. New Avengers is good as usual, a lot of it right now centers around Dr Strange stepping down as Sorcerer Supreme and finding out who the next guy is.

i just got caught up on New Warriors, and if you're a Fury/S.H.I.E.L.D. fan (think Steranko era), its a lot of fun. i had my questions about the new team itself, but the book's working to put Hydra, the Hand etc back on the map in a fun way, so again, if you dig the super-spy shit, check it out.

Archived