Hondo's Bar

Parappa the Rapper

The NZA

1228964172.jpg1228888051.jpg

id been wanting to do a tribute thread to this short series, but you know what i had to do first? i had to believe.

So yeah, i miss the crap out of this series. part 1 was a perfect example of quirky japanese games that i go for and seldom tire of playing. id go back and beat the game till i could freestyle every level. Part 1 was short, but between instructor Moosalini and Flea's reggae garage sale, there was a lot to love. Pretty much everything except that stupid fucking chicken, who made me want to crack, crack, crack her head into the bowl.

Part 2 for the ps2 got even weirder and honestly wasnt as memorable, but i was all about the kind-of sequel on ps1, Um Jammer Lammy.

1228877972.jpg

The game gets shat on a lot for using the same rhythm engine but focusing on guitarplay instead, but what was great - besides the even more insane, yet still fun levels (way better than noodles as a plot device in 2, WTF?) was the fact that, if you stuck to it and beat the levels to open up more options? Youd unlock a 2-player tag-team of Lammy stringing one verse, and parappa rapping the other! it was so awesome.

The only shitty thing was, i had the japanese import in the day, and loved that copy. the US one i bought since then (dont have a modded ps1 anymore...), for whatever reason, the last level or so is changed up; instead of playing in hell, its...not hell. lame.

Anyway, i was excited about the PSP title 'till i realized it was just a remake/option to play the game for less than $40 now, which the original usually goes for last i checked. I hear the designer, Masaya Matsuura is workong on a Wii game, Major Minor's Majestic March, so im watching that now too.

still want to buy sen that beanie one day. meantime, here's a great segment from Robot Chicken that got me wanting to make this thread:

embeded_header.jpg

• 11 months later...

please let this be true

parappabestdogever.jpg

FUCK AND YES. PARAPPA THE RAPPER IS COMING BACK. Well, at least according to the new issue of Game Informer (according to Playstation LifeStyle). I really don't have the words to tell you how delighted I am by this, as I love all the PaRappa games.

However, this alone won't get me to buy a PS3. You know what would, Sony? An Um Jammer Lammy sequel -- yes, the guitar-based sister game to PaRappa -- using a Rock Band or a Guitar Hero guitar peripheral. Hell, bring back Katy Kat and Maa-san and let's get the whole band back together. The music for Um Jammer actually blew PaRappa away;

has been on about 77% of all the mix CDs I've ever made. You know, perhaps I'm not being clear: I would murder every single one of you in your sleep if it meant getting a new Um Jammer Lammy game. And I'd buy a PS3, too.

Archived