Hondo's Bar

Dragonball: Evolution

The NZA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't do it...I made it 51 secs into that movie and I can't watch anymore. They've just butchered it beyond watching in sooo many ways in these first 51 secs that I don't think I could ever watch the rest. And now everyone who doesn't like DBZ is gonna have even MORE ammo to shoot us fans with.

But before that happens I am gonna call it...This isnt a Dragonball movie. It may have the title and characters but it is in no way related to dragonball at all. Ugg what a horrible disgusting piece of shit film....

Flashes of Wanted...

I'm a big fan of DBZ & moreso the original DB. GT & Fusion and whatever comes after Majin Buu can suck my fanboy dong.

Alright, Dragon Ball I get liking because it was original and actually quite well done, and GT and whatever the fuck else follows seems to be almost universally hated. But what's the big deal about Dragonball Z? This isn't a slam, it's an honest question. I watched the series from beginning to end and most of the side-stories as well and I just don't really get it, it seems that most of the series is spent showing pusling veiny people with stupid hair glow and scream at each other while a series of increasingly more ridiculous villains (I mean seriously, the most badass villain the series had was essentially a big fat retarded kid in a diaper and a cape) and I didn't really see any of the same light-hearted kung fu fairytale that Dragon Ball was. I certainly didn't see any of the genius of Chrono Trigger there. I think partway through his career Akira Toriyama just went tits-up crazy.

As for the movie, for you it may be the worst film experience you've ever had...

raul-julia-bison-thumb.jpg

...but for me, it was Tuesday...

Alright, Dragon Ball I get liking because it was original and actually quite well done, and GT and whatever the fuck else follows seems to be almost universally hated. But what's the big deal about Dragonball Z? This isn't a slam, it's an honest question. I watched the series from beginning to end and most of the side-stories as well and I just don't really get it, it seems that most of the series is spent showing pusling veiny people with stupid hair glow and scream at each other while a series of increasingly more ridiculous villains (I mean seriously, the most badass villain the series had was essentially a big fat retarded kid in a diaper and a cape) and I didn't really see any of the same light-hearted kung fu fairytale that Dragon Ball was. I certainly didn't see any of the genius of Chrono Trigger there. I think partway through his career Akira Toriyama just went tits-up crazy.

As for the movie, for you it may be the worst film experience you've ever had...

raul-julia-bison-thumb.jpg

...but for me, it was Tuesday...

DBZ is good up through the Cell saga. Toriyama wanted to stop there but was forced/coerced/whatever into continuing the saga. You can see his love isn't in it.

DBZ is indeed the singlemost banal, mindnumbing experience one can have. I just dig it is all. Even if the characters are as deep as cardboard, you can just enjoy the bright flashing colours & treat DB as a companion, given it's emphasis on characterisation. I'm personally a big fan of Vegeta. His inferiority complex & constant back-forth villiany made the show great.Wait, what came after Cell? That shit was indeed awesome. I remember I was just outta high school watching that in the mornings, we'd all be talking about it in class.

It's ironic that the Cell saga was where he wanted to jump off as the Buu saga was the only point where something resembling a story and characterization actually came into play.

And I guess that's fair enough, I'm really not sure why I watched the entire thing. It was like I knew what I was watching was horrible, but I watched it anyway. Rekoom sticks out in my mind as one of the stupidest things in the series.

After Cell is the Saiyaman Saga with Gohan and Mr. Satan's Daughter (i forget her name), then comes the World Tournament Saga which leads into Buu. I always enjoyed Piccolo in DBZ even though he doesn't play such a major part. He just seems the most real character but Vegeta is also great.

It's ironic that the Cell saga was where he wanted to jump off as the Buu saga was the only point where something resembling a story and characterization actually came into play.

And I guess that's fair enough, I'm really not sure why I watched the entire thing. It was like I knew what I was watching was horrible, but I watched it anyway. Rekoom sticks out in my mind as one of the stupidest things in the series.

Rekoom? It rings a bell but refresh my memory...

I second Baytor's Incredulity.

Rekoom I now recall. Not precisely but I get the rough gesture. With something as long-winded as the Frieza saga(the quintessential DBZ experience of seeing two main characters perfectly stationary for entire eps), one can be forgiven for forgetting the build-up fights. Christ, even the Cell saga, while being pretty close, wasn't that bad.

if i were a huge DBZ fan, I think I would be embarrassed and deny I was ever a fan BECAUSE of this movie... the sad thing is I can think of a person who is going to be genuinely excited about watching this thing...

If you're a DBZ fan you're probably used to being mocked openly by everyone anyway.

hahaha.. well, my friend Robert has been a DBZ fan since I can remember. I used to like the show but only until the whole freeza arc, after that I was completely lost and uninterested. I was like, "what? Goku is what level saiyan?? and he has another kid? Wait, Fucking Vegeta has a son?!? He reproduced??? With who?!? Capsule chick!" That was the extent of my interest... but I always thought Trunks was cute tho... :sad:

I never understood why they never just asked the dragon to become ultra powerful so that they could defeat any enemy that came their way (I guess cause they were too busy asking to bring all the people who died back to life)

Wasn't there some rule against it? I know Shenron/long/w/e had some sort of guidelines like the Aladdin genie... Blah. So the Americans take a pretty cool idea from the Japanese and butcher the hell out of it. Why didn't Japan make it themselves? So much more appropriate, if it were done with proper kungfu reminiscent of Hidden Dragon style flicks with Casshern graphics and super-powered fights. That would be amazing.

Now we're about to cash in on an Astroboy franchise? With Nicolas Cage?? What the hell! Aren't there rules against that, too?