Hondo's Bar

Brutal Legend

The NZA

So, looks like its on again! Tim Schafer (genius behind Grim Fandango, Secret of Monkey Island, Psychonauts & such) is finally having some luck with EA, it seems, in getting his uh, homage to heavy metal out the gate sometime. Voiced by Jack Black, this one's looking fun, and im not even a metal fan. More as it comes.

While it is Tim Schafer, so it will undoubtedly be awesome (and perhaps even capture the rare side of Jack Black that's actually funny) but does looking at game play videos make everybody else worry that this will follow The Bard's Tale in humorous movies with long tedious bits of mediocre game play in between? (I mean Psychonauts was great but the combat system was one of its weak points.)

that's pretty much the MO for the other titles of his though, no? Im only so far in Grim Fandango but, like Monkey's Island and his excellent Day of the Tentacle, "action" scenes exist just to move the game forward at best. i suspect there's gonna be more of that here (clearly) than say a point-and-click, but whether it flows better than some of the platforming in psychonauts...yeah, id not put a lot of money on that.

you can pretty much expect this one - i could be wrong here - to receive critical praise, sell poorly, and have reviewers look past those bits you mentioned in light of the fact that is Schafer and its gonna be both fun and well-written, a tragically rare combination lately. that isnt to say we dont have a lotta great games right now, but im not putting a lot of stock into Gears 2's story (havent played it yet, could be wrong here, natch) or say the action in Fallout 3. Its not often i get something like Bioshock where i dug the engine and the story as well; im only expecting half of that from this, so here's to being surprised.

i...i swear i was just making a point. i dont typically expect story in shooters, but you know, Cliffy B was running his mouth about it having the best of both worlds while it was being made. again, havent played it but if part 1's an indication, then yeah, par for the course, the story was throwaway, which works for most shooters. but as the genre gets more prevalent, it makes me look forward to efforts like this a bit more 's all.

ive said before, even with JRPGs, shit's getting stale. irreverent humor & creativity like earthbound and such isnt popular (i think Penny Arcade's as close as ive seen lately). This guy's the king of that kinda thing in the adventure genre, and for me, this generation's coming around but there's a big whole until we get such efforts.

i really dug the Onimushas and God of Wars and all that last gen too, but i cling to the Icos/Shadows, Okamis, Psychonauts and the like the most.

Lucky for me I DON'T PLAN on ever playing gears 2.

God, I heard about this like, 2 years ago and was interested, then forgot all about it. Guess everyone else did too, huh?

It has more to do with Activision becoming real dicks and dropping this game to milk the fuck out of Guitar Hero and COD.

Well the problem with Psychonauts was while the platforming and the psi-powers were fun (Well... excepting for the asylum and meat circus) but the combat was not so good. Grim Fandango, Monkey Island (excepting monkey fucking combat), and Full Throttle (I make no apologies for the old mine road, that shit was awesome) all had fun gameplay elements to redeem them. This looks like a hack-n-slash that sometimes incorporates cars. That puts the fear in me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

its a great one. there's a number of lines i plan on ripping verbatim from that page.

the whole paragraph on working there and the magic of getting your application accepted to "sweet home alabama" was class.

• 3 weeks later...

A lawsuit filed by Activision may keep Jack Black from becoming a "Brutal Legend" later this year.

Activision Entertainment Holdings Inc. sued game developer Double Fine Productions Inc. on Wednesday to try to stop the release of "Brutal Legend" by rival Electronic Arts.

The lawsuit, filed in Santa Monica, Calif., on Wednesday, claims Double Fine failed to deliver "Brutal Legend" on time. The suit also claims the firm then offered the completed game to EA.

"Brutal Legend" is scheduled for release in October. It features Black as a heavy-metal roadie transported to a mythical ancient world to fight evil.

EA has been heavily promoting the game at this week's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles. A gigantic banner of Black's character, Eddie Riggs, is hanging outside the convention's venue.

The lawsuit claims Activision paid Double Fine about $15 million to develop "Brutal Legend," but the studio missed a key deadline last year. The suit claims Double Fine then said it would need another nine months and $7 million to complete the game.

Activision and Double Fine negotiated to try to keep the game on track, but no agreement was ever reached, according to the court filing. Activision contends it never relinquished its rights to the game and that Double Fine improperly transferred "Brutal Legend" to EA.

"Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

The lawsuit states that Activision has suffered "irreparable harm" and will lose not only the game, but also the ability to sell downloadable content based on "Brutal Legend" if the release isn't stopped.

i do every hate activision for this (schefer exudes like this bold new form of class, however), but id need to know more specifics of how much activision put up, and if the details of the missed deadline & such were true. guess we'll see how the case plays out, shame this one might not see the light of day till next year though. Man, that guy cant catch a break, even with his own company.

• 3 months later...

now that was a demo. Schafer's still got it.

i loved when it asked if i wanted shit censored. im not a big fan of metal or necessarily Jack Black (he's alright though, i dont have the dude like some) but both were made pretty cool here. some of the sound clips sounded slightly off-cue (quality wise, not content which was pretty fun across the board) but presentation as a whole was higher than i expected. cant say i have big plans for the multiplayer, but the single player adventure seems like what i want from double fine games.

if i can put the $ together, this is looking like a day 1 purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

MH, you guys grab the demo?

JZA - bought it? damn, im jealous. i wanted this day 1 but too broke, its next on my rental and one of the few i wanna pay full price for (when i can) to support Double Fine/Shafer. post impressions!

UA2 will break your heart

This game is a sandbox/adventure/RTS that is graphically gorgeous, is a little glitchy, but plays great. Jables is on fire as Ronnie Riggs, Ozzie & Lemmy add some genuine class to the act. I fucking love it and hate that it's now going to gather dust while I make my way through Borderlands(on which EB has apparently broken street release & is out now as opposed to Friday).

Archived