Hondo's Bar

If Marvel/DC drafted you to write one book...

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: dont look now, KOS & others, but here's your chance...

ad_talent.gif

Taken from Marvel's page...

We're sorry, but Marvel does not accept unsolicited materials or character ideas."

Sound familiar? Well, that's what the Marvel submission guidelines used to say. But things are changing here at Marvel in a big way, and we're now actively looking to find new creative talent ... maybe even you. Breaking in to comics is tough, but now Marvel is offering aspiring creators two different ways to increase their chances.

ARE YOU AN ASPIRING COMIC BOOK ARTIST OR WRITER?

Writer, artists or whole creative teams interested in pitching specific comic books proposals and scripts, please see our new Epic Comics website.

ARE YOU A WRITER, BUT HAVEN'T ATTEMPTED COMICS BEFORE?

What we're looking for at Marvel are writers with serious skills! Show us that you understand structure and character development by sending us a play, screenplay, teleplay, short story or other original writing sample of a non-comic genre that best exemplifies your writing talents (no novels please, we don't have that kind of time). We'll read it, and if you have what it takes you can become a part of the Marvel team!

Before submitting, please download the Idea Submission Form.  PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENTS CAREFULLY. This document outlines the relationship between you and Marvel Enterprises, Inc. ("Marvel") concerning your submissions. By signing these documents, you acknowledge and agree that Marvel continually generates new comic book ideas in house, and that any similarity between your submission and possible future Marvel properties is purely coincidental. Marvel assumes no obligation to compensate writers who submit similar concepts. The agreements become effective when we return copies to you also signed by Marvel.

Send your sample to:

Submissions

c/o Marvel Enterprises

10 E. 40th Street

New York, NY 10016

If you want your sample returned, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, Well, I'd like to try and come up with one involving the Cloak and Dagger, Spidey, Wolvie, Dr. Doom, Strange, Silver Surfer, Galactus - the planet eating behemoth, and one where the Watcher has to choose between just watching and getting involved.

... That's just for starters. :sly:

Benny - that sounds damn interestin, curious to see what you'd do with Cloak & Dagger...as for the other charcaters, especially Galactus...you should borrow Earth X, ill be gettin a copy soon, i think you'd dig that one man.

2T - Peter Porker's comin back, i hear...should be fun. I kinda missed him, as well as the "What if?" series, at least the good ones.

Anyway, id do a Wolvy mini-series but not a regular series, id run out of material & itd be noticable. Team books, like Ultimates or X-Men or somethin, that's gotta be hard...how do you balance all those characters as well as the plot? The cool ones overshadow the not so cool, unless you do that Jim Lee thing and give solo stories to each here & there to develop em, that might be cool....

Most scifi novelists got their start submitting short stories to magazines. This might be the comics equivalent.

DC used to have submission info for artists and writers on their website. Now all they've got is a note for you to go to conventions.

I can see some very tired people at Marvel soon. I'd hate to be the one that has to judge the load of crap that's about to flood that office.

Still, I hope it works out cuz there's bound to be good people out there who just need a chance.

I like the way they put the creative team structure together. It sucks not having deadlines, (Which means that an unreliable partner will screw you both) but the idea of being able to pick a partner who complements you is excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, those who didnt take advantage of the opportunity...

Epic no longer taking sumbissions

BY THE PULSE

Amid swirling rumors about the fate of EPIC Comics, the radical new imprint launched by now-ousted publishing head Bill Jemas, Marvel announced that they are no longer accepting open submissions for the line.

"Due to the continuing overwhelming response to its EPIC Comics open submissions call, Marvel Comics is temporarily suspending acceptance of any new EPIC submissions," read a press release sent out this afternoon by Marvel.

EPIC opened the door for new creators as no initiative at a major publisher had before, by guaranteeing that all over-the-transom submissions would be read, after signing a release. Editor Stephanie Moore reported that she had over 600 submissions to go over.

While the end of the Epic line has been rumored all week, and almost all creator owned books have been suspended (including DESPERATE TIMES, which today was announced as going back to Image), Marvel's statement indicates that the line will indeed continue, with projects due throughout 2004.

The rest of the statement follows:

"The response has simply been incredible, and because of the high volume of pitches we're still receiving, we're no longer going to be able to evaluate them and respond to aspiring creators in a fair and reasonable time frame," explained EPIC editor Teresa Focarile. "Creators who have taken the time and energy to go through the submission process are entitled to a timely response.

"Now that we realize the level of response and the kind of commitment these projects require, we are going to restructure the EPIC process across all editorial offices and implement some new procedures that will hopefully have us back on track before too long."

"Meanwhile, the early results have been extremely positive, and we've already found new talent whose Epic projects fans will not only see in 2004, but who are also working on and pitching for projects within the regular Marvel editorial offices, like John Jackson Miller, writer of his own EPIC series Crimson Dynamo and premiering this month as the new regular IRON MAN writer."

While new EPIC Comics submissions are no longer being accepted for now, Marvel reminds creators that they ARE STILL looking for new writers on an ongoing basis, and the standard submission options are still in place. Details can be found at Marvel.com at http://www.marvel.com/about/submissions_guide.

In addition to getting the opportunity to pitch for new projects, writers found though this process may also be showcased in two new, ongoing bimonthly titles premiering in early 2004 - SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED and X-MEN UNLIMITED. Each title will feature 2 stories debuting new writers teamed with established artists telling stories about Marvel's biggest icons.

"We're still seeking and developing new talent and have created showcases just for these new writers, and just for the time being we're scaling down the EPIC process to give aspiring creators the attention and professional response they merit," concluded Focarile.

Nothing contained in this e-mail shall (a) be considered a legally binding agreement, amendment or modification of any agreement with Marvel, each of which requires a fully executed agreement to be received by Marvel or (b) be deemed approval of any product, packaging, advertising or promotion material without a signed Marvel approval form.

Heh, interestin side comment...

"You know, if there are maybe 200,000 comics fans left who buy on a regular basis, then 199,000 of them want to be creators. I can't help but think that kind of insular arrangement is unhealthy.

It's a regular 'inmates running the asylum' situation. Creators creating for creators. A completely enclosed, insular, even in-bred system."

's true, the movie/music industry doesnt get this from their consumers...granted, their numbers are much, much larger, but still an interestin point.

• 2 years later...

If I was writing for Marvel I'd want to do one of those oldskool Ghostrider/Wolverine/Punisher books, Nuke or Deadpool sound like books I'd enjoy writing as well.

As for DC... Green Lantern, The Eradicator, Etrigan the Demon, and I've always been intrigued with the idea of writing The Creeper.

God, the shift in Panch! Shit is like a coccooned caterpillar.

I'd rejuvenate What if as another monthly, forget the past since there's so many other ways to deal with questions in the current political climate not to mention dropping the Code. I fucking loved that book. Anyone ever see the one where Archangel remained in the service of Apocalypse even after rejoining the X-Men.

God let's hope you could write better than most of those, I mean a few were good (What-If the Punisher got Venom's suit was awesome) but other shit like What If Ghost Rider was Daniel Ketch's sister, or what if Mr. Fantastic grew a moustache?

Oh I'ma add Jonah Hex and the 90s Starman to my DC comics list.

For DC I'm pretty sure everyone wants a crack at Supes or Bats(it's the whole Beatles Vs Elvis thing I reckon), I'll take both for the record, separate titles or maybe a miniseries. I don't honestly think I could do a better team book than Loeb does right now, but a miniseries where Supes comes to realise his frustrated potential(not an Elsewords), and sees how much humanity has cost him. I wanna see him be an Alien for one day, not crushing Earth under his Red Bootheel, just resenting this planet & it's inhabitants for the glory he's given up & opportunities wasted. Thing with Supes is, while he's shackled to humanity and everyone waffles on with about the irony of an alien being the greatest Humanist(it's a word now, so fuck off), what fucking person feels the way he does other than maybe the Pope? See how he reacts to the other end of human emotion. Think I might beat something out now...

Other than that, I once wrote a Wolvy fan-fic based on the revelations of Origin & having a shadowy puppetmaster of a villian manipulting events in his whole life, but I had trouble getting past the opening sequence involving him overdosing on mushrooms & riding his bike off a cliff. He did fight dead Hand before Millar did it though, except these ones fought with rotten zombie body parts.It was all a halucination anyways though. Good times.

Has that been done before though? I mean, I dunno if Bats'd even be neccessary since I don't wanna map out yet another bullshit way a gymnast can beat an Alien Supersoldier. I figured if anything he'd be there to try'n pull Clark in, being the master-manipulator he is. I mean shit, what else is he good for?

'tor - i never read that, Pun in the venom suit was good? you know what # it was? i gotta read that, howd it go?

I do not remember the issue number, basically the Punisher finds the venom suit and gets it (sadly he looks pretty much no different) and as usual cataclysmic results ensue. Because no good ever comes of a What If Book. It's been forever since I've read it you'd just have to look for it.

Dude! The second part of that 2-parter is like one of my favorite single issues EVER (I gotta make a thread on that subject)! It's the one where Supes leads the rebellion against the horde with the last like 7 or 8 superheroes on the planet! Man, I'm gonna go back and read that issue tonight!

Anyways... I've been thinking about an Alias 2 story (call me, MARVEL) WITHOUT Jessica Jones! I've got a few ideas for like 2 or 3 arcs! Man, I need to be a comic book writer already... sigh...

Dude! The second part of that 2-parter is like one of my favorite single issues EVER (I gotta make a thread on that subject)! It's the one where Supes leads the rebellion against the horde with the last like 7 or 8 superheroes on the planet! Man, I'm gonna go back and read that issue tonight!

You got #1? I gots 1 & could never find 2!! This is the comic-equivalent of those fruity BFF break-away bracelets and shit! I love you Panch!